The impending diesel bombardment

JungleDeath

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf_11 JSW
Mazda. 300+ lb/ft of torque. Like they can't put an engine like that in a small truck? It would destroy all others....grrr.

Thanks for the read.

NoJoke

Veteran Member
I'll sell the wagon if they bring the R8.... Car and driver magazine said they were talking about using the 6cyl out of the e-tron le mans.

ARDailey

TDI
2010 SportWagen TDi / 2017 GSW 4Motion
BioDiesel in my 2010 JSW?

"" And, in an effort to push the “green” diesel argument, he also notes that standard diesel cars “can use renewable diesel fuels like biodiesel which reduce greenhouse gas emissions up to 60 per cent and also reduce petroleum consumption. ""

I thought I could only put B2 into my JSW otherwise bad things happen.:mad:

Do the other engines from MB and Mazda accept anything higher than B2?

In any case it's nice to see more options out there.

---

Unsolicited fuel economy statement: I just got 605 miles on my last tank of fuel...and that included a trip up Mount Washington in NH!:)

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS, Silver 5-spd
For more than ten years, I've been reading articles like this about F-150s, Honda Accords, Subaru Outbacks, Mazda 6s, Ford Expeditions, Acura TSXs, and Mini Coopers will soon be offered with a diesel.
I will believe it when I see it.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
It seems that I recall hearing that Fred is somehow involved with lobbying diesels in Canada.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
For more than ten years, I've been reading articles like this about F-150s, Honda Accords, Subaru Outbacks, Mazda 6s, Ford Expeditions, Acura TSXs, and Mini Coopers will soon be offered with a diesel.
I will believe it when I see it.
You've got that right!

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
"" And, in an effort to push the “green” diesel argument, he also notes that standard diesel cars “can use renewable diesel fuels like biodiesel which reduce greenhouse gas emissions up to 60 per cent and also reduce petroleum consumption. ""

I thought I could only put B2 into my JSW otherwise bad things happen.:mad:

Do the other engines from MB and Mazda accept anything higher than B2?

In any case it's nice to see more options out there.

---

Unsolicited fuel economy statement: I just got 605 miles on my last tank of fuel...and that included a trip up Mount Washington in NH!:)
With few exceptions, the factory authorized limit is B5, not B2. There are a few trucks that are now certified for B20 (Ford for one), but MB and BMW both say B5 for their diesels. Haven't seen any claims for Mazda, but since they have not yet shown us a US certified diesel we will just have to wait and see.

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
I first lobbied VW for the Polo in the USA - TDI or plain petrol. That did no good. Then I lobbied for a Touran TDI. No go. Finally I decided to take a Golf seriously. That done, I found that a TDI Golf was a $6000 premium over a gasser. So I bought a 4 door Golf 2.5 litre gasser, and am happy for now. The carmakers need to not only recognise that there is a market for diesels, but a market for economical diesels.

jrivers804

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1998, White
As others have said, I've heard this tune before. Lots of manufacturers TALK about bringing small diesels to the states and by extension North America, but I will believe it when I see any for sale on a lot.

Dooglas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
With few exceptions, the factory authorized limit is B5, not B2. There are a few trucks that are now certified for B20 (Ford for one), but MB and BMW both say B5 for their diesels. Haven't seen any claims for Mazda, but since they have not yet shown us a US certified diesel we will just have to wait and see.
I suspect ARDailey meant D2 (as in conventional diesel fuel). I believe all of the US manufacturers have okayed B20 in their light, and heavy, trucks. So far, the word from Europe seems to be nothing beyond B05 in the newer CR engines with particulate filters.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Can they make them? Well, yes...

From the obvious evidence in the showrooms in the USA, one might think the major manufacturers just don't know how to make personal diesel vehicles.

They do, of course... I was in Spain mid-June for a LONG delayed visit to relatives (nuf said). While there, I took dozens of photos of small sedans, medium sedans, a few big sedans (not many), micros (the MB A series-Whooa!), little vans, small vans, small panel vans (Euro work vehicles), and flip-side flatbeds (when you need to haul heavy stuff, or stuff that won't fit in the small panel vans), and "jeeps" (Mits Pajero, Suzuki Vitara a.k.a. Geo Tracker, etc), 4WD SUVs (Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Cherokee Sport -yes, all of them!), and even Dodge Calibur, Honda Civic, Honda Accord, and TOO many more to mention here.

ALL DIESEL. I can't post 'em all now, but

I will start with SUV class (excluding MB, and a few others).

Here we go:

Hyundai Tuscon

Toyota Rav4

another Rav4

Bad image link. I'll try to fix later.

Land Cruiser (unmodified)

MODIFIED

another bad image link. Sorry. I'll try to fix it later.

Mitsubishi Montero (smaller vehicle than Montero in USA release)

Another Montero

More in next post.

Last edited:

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
And more

Here's more:

JEEP? Chrysler. Yes, THEM TOO!

Here is a Cherokee SPORT

Plain Cherokee

I have GRAND CHEROKEE too, will edit when I find it...

How about a NEW Nissan SUV called QASHQAI?

In the USA, they could rename it Cash Cow. I saw these on the streets there too.

Another Nissan
PATROL 3.0 4cyl BIG diesel torque (nice, nice truck)

Nissan TERRAIN at the Beach... another 3.0 liter TD!

More in next post

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
And more...

Let's move onto FORD Kuga (new Model)

IN the SHOWROOM (wait till you see Fiesta, Mondeo, Tourneo Connect Whooa!)

Showroom KUGA:

Evidence of a long term commitment to diesel vehicles:

Suzuki Vitara (Geo Tracker?)

an old Mitsubishi Pajero

Audi? WELL, yes...
Q7

Q5

In next post... VW Tiguan

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
And Tiguan

Let's move onto VW I'll have to leave out Polo, Beetle, Touran, Transporter, Caddy, California (!), and SCIRROCO on this post:

Here's 2.0 TDI from the street:

Tiguan Bluemotion at two dealerships

INTERIOR TIGUAN BM

White Bluemotion

I saw no Touaregs. Not on the street, not in the showrooms (too big and expensive, but you can order them)

Also, I should mention I saw not one single Amarok in Spain. They use panel vans (lockable, secure), or they use flat bed drop-sides for hauling loads.

SO, do they make them? Yes. Can we convince any of these manufactureres to let us buy them? Maybe we need to have a talk with NTHSA and EPA.

Last edited:

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
All of them diesel vehicles (this is just SUV class, but all others too)

All diesel. Small (tiny) Toyotas are often gassers, as far as I could tell, but otherwise, just about everything is diesel. Many cars have no TD, CRD, CRTD, or and D logo badge on the back, but you can hear the diesel. Common stuff.

Oh... Subaru? I saw three of them. 1 Legacy AWD wagon, 1 Outback wagen, and 1 Turbo WRX (might have have Impreza badge?). All gassers. I saw NOT one Subaru Boxer Diesel.

Last edited:

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Execline 3.0 V6 TDI; 2012 Jetta Highline TDI
I would have loved to see a Tiguan TDI in Canada - that would be a nice addition (if I could afford another VW) -- maybe I need to win the lotto.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
Kuga? Qashqai?

Does Ford have plans to roll out the Kuga here? or has anyone seen anything that looks like Kuga at Ford dealerships (different name, maybe)?

How about the Qashqai ??

These are on the first page of this thread. I think these are new models. I had not seen them before. I think these would sell in North America, gas or diesel.

tdisky

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (hers)
I saw a new Ford Escape last week, and chatted with the driver. He said it was only a rental, but his wife likes it so much she's considering buying one when they get home.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the new Escape is the US-spec'ed Kuga. I think the size and styling is terrific.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Does Ford have plans to roll out the Kuga here? or has anyone seen anything that looks like Kuga at Ford dealerships (different name, maybe)?
How about the Qashqai ??
The Qashqai is getting a bit long in the tooth, it's essentially unchanged since 2006. It's a fine little CUV however, and sells well. They have 1.5, 1.6 and 2.0 diesels available.

The Kuga is going to be replaced in Autumn with the new Kuga, which is virtually identical with the new Ford Escape for the US, just with manual transmissions and diesels for Europe, since gas engines and automatics are a tough sell for a compact CUV in Europe.

Old:

New:

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
I'm thinking now that impending will always describe the Diesel engined car's potential in the USA.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
Pending...

It is unfortunate, but unless something is drastically changed, North American market won't see most of this. It would take lots of grass roots campaigning to change the EPA and NHSTA blockade. It just makes any diesel vehicle so much more expensive to import. I think many of these diesel vehicles meet the particulate, but not the NOx requirements.

You can see the new Kuga on post 15 one page back. Yes, nice styling. If offered with a TD, my wife would swap her CRV for one. I saw it outside a market in El Vendrelle, Espana. I was not aware that Qashqai has been around that long.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
By 2015, Baum and Associates expects diesel car sales to grow to 6.0-6.5 per cent of the entire U.S. market, compared to just more than 3 per cent today. Research firm J.D. Power & Associates sees the U.S. diesel market share growing steadily to 7.4 per cent by 2017. In Canada, diesels account for about 3 per cent of light vehicle sales

The tone of the article doesn't agree with the overall numbers. Canadian diesel sales are the same percentage as US diesel sales. I would also love to see more diesel offereings but can see no way that the number of diesels on road will more than double over the next couple of years. It's the cart and horse thing again. If there were more diesel sales in North America, there would be more diesel offerings. However, to get more diesel offerings, you have to have increased sales and demand. I got tired of waiting on a small diesel pickup and grabed a used GMC Canyon last month. The 4cyl will do for 95% of my needs. I will also have a nice trade in when/if anyone offers a diesel pickup here.

Last edited:

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
Really? So it just happens to be a brand new, old Kuga?

There must have been some changes in the grill and fog lamp housing in the white 2012 (post 15) compared to the "old" black Kuga shown above. The headlamp lenses seem identical to the old, though.

Actually, I like the 2012 front better than either one.

I wonder if the new Escape will look anything like the new brown model shown above (under electric blue lighting-weird).

Are these still related to the Mazda relationship (Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute)?

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Really? So it just happens to be a brand new, old Kuga?
Precisely. Ford still has the Mk1 Kuga on the European websites, the Mk2 is supposed to come out really soon. (was shown at the Geneva show)
There must have been some changes in the grill and fog lamp housing in the white 2012 (post 15) compared to the "old" black Kuga shown above. The headlamp lenses seem identical to the old, though.
The black one I posted has the "Individual styling pack".
I wonder if the new Escape will look anything like the new brown model shown above (under electric blue lighting-weird).
The new Ford Escape went on sale in the US and Canada last month, so all you have to do is visit your local Ford dealer to find out. http://www.ford.com/suvs/escape/?intcmp=fv-hpbb-mpg4all-escape
Are these still related to the Mazda relationship (Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute)?
The Mk1 Kuga was/is based on the first generation C-Max, and shares most of its interior parts. If you step inside, you'll see the typical mid-2000s Ford interior.

It's also the only Ford model left that's available with a Volvo 5-cylinder gas engine.

The Mk2 is not at European dealers yet

Last edited:

Trooper81

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle, 2011 Touareg TDI
How about the Qashqai ??

These are on the first page of this thread. I think these are new models. I had not seen them before. I think these would sell in North America, gas or diesel.
We get the Nissan Qashqai in Canada and USA, it's simply called the Nissan Rogue, slightly different sheet metal front and back to meet bumper standards and voila.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
We get the Nissan Qashqai in Canada and USA, it's simply called the Nissan Rogue, slightly different sheet metal front and back to meet bumper standards and voila.
The Rogue is more than a foot longer than the Qashqai, the interiors are very similar though, and both are based on the Nissan C platform.