Great Passat Axle Place

tdiblair

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 2005 silver Passat Sedan & 2005 Wagon Stone Henge Gray
Well just replaced the driver side axle on the 05 Passat. Figgured I better start doing it myself since this seems to happen by 50,000 miles and the cost to have someone else remove and install seven bolts plus the axle is too much. This was my third one on two Passats.
The inner CV joint ( next to the tranny flange) is fine.
The outer CV joint - (next to brake rotor) might be fine - dunno - I'm not a CV joint expert. Broken boot but haven't inspected it yet for grit.

I simply bought a completely assembled axle with boots and ' new joints' to get this all done in an afternoon duing the weekend - promising that her car would be ready on Monday. On another forum the said go to raxles.com since you get new joints from him - ( not the cheap remanufactured or re-ground joints) that you might get from other places. Vw charges me $300 for a complete axle ....raxles is $189 ( really $211 after you pay for the UPS Label to send your core axle back. This guy Marty even sends you the the huge 27mm Hex to remove the axle bolt and the and the star tool to remove the 6 bolts where the CV joint flange attaches to the tranny flange. You don't dash to AutoZone. He even offers a lifetime / limited warranty. He ' claims' his boots last longer than originals. I really dunno until I make it past 42,000 miles. I did hear a rumor that VW did upgrade the boots from another parts, again, I dunno. Our B-5 Passats have a tigher turning radius than other cars - especially Jap cars. If you like turning your Passat from lock to lock in tight turns - you'll probably go though the new improved CV boots too ( if they are improved). The key thing here is raxles.com are not re-ground like the Chinese axles at the big box auto stores from the literature I read. Found this raxles.com down in Florida on another Passat Forum - highly recomended and I like the service too. You just slide the old axle in the box his axle came in. He has a printed UPS return label made for you. He even prints a road map to the nearest UPS store near you. He even supplies you 7 new bolts for install your axle and the plastic bags have the torque setting written on them. Ahh you have to return his removal and install tools with your old axle. I even got a folding knife key chain with his phone number to keep. All guys like knives.
The cheaper ' re-ground' joints are said to vibrate the car when in gear at a red light. Vibration goes away if you sift to neutral or step on the gas in drive. Most think it's a loose motor mount. It's the cheap reground CV joints. Marty / raxles.com gives you brand new joints on a VW exhange axle. He does re-paint the axle tube. Last time I let someone else do this the Axle was $300 from VW. Labor was about as bad and you surrender your old core. So Marty, to me, appears to be cheaper on the part and offers a far better warranty than VW.

Big question I have is I do not assume the CV joints are part of the core exchange and my inner ( next to the tranny) CV joint is fine. The outer has a split boot but it ' might ' be fine too. I'm thinking of hammering these joints off the axle tube and just returning the axle tube but it does look like it will be a greasy pain of a job. Before I go though this, does anyone have a clue how much the innner and outer CV joints cost at World Impex. I don't know the part number to look up for myself. I only have the complete axle number.

Blair

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
If you were to remove the cv joints, you will probably will get charged for tha core. the inners are reused if good.

tdiblair

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the info Thundershorts....u saved me from a messy job.

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
I have taken the opposite approach: have by good local shop (Fast Enough) replace the split boot. Keep original CV joints. Cost = $185, parts & labor. The original CV joints are good.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
On both our Passsat's (before I sold the wagon), I replaced the outer joints on both cars with units bought from Marquette Automotive (metalmanparts) for $90 each, including the boot kit.

http://www.metalmanparts.com/product.sc?productId=481&categoryId=78

Changing the outer joint takes all of 5 minutes once the axle is out of the car.

VW has not "upgraded" any boot for the axles on these cars. I have bought their's, metalmanns, and ones from third party vendors. They all suck....:rolleyes:

tdiblair

Veteran Member
TDI
Tough Tony,

Yup, I'm not one to beleive they improved the boot either and as much as I like Marty's service at raxles.com - I'm not holding my breath on how long his boot lasts either. He says his last longer. Well I assume I prefer hearing that versus the truth because we all know the truth and that is, unless you drive on a stright highway for the bulk of the cars life - my boots are usually toast anwhere from 40 to 50K. Maybe Marty was just being kind by giving me some hope. Regardless, now that I've done it, I'll just do the rest when they go. My mechanic is now $125 an hour up here. I can't see paying $300 in labor for this job which is escentially 7 bolts. This boot went at 38,000 miles....then again....the car is 7 years old. Some tires get dry rot around 5 years...others 10. All I've read is it's our superior front susension and tight turning radius that kill the boot by streatching. So they say back off of the lock to lock sharp turns of the wheel. With my wife, that's not possible. I'm into year 6 of trying to get her to turn the lights off when she leaves the kitchen. Too bad I upgraded the kitchen and added all those lights in the ceiling and under the counters when everything was ripped out. When they don't pay the utilities bill or for the axles, well you know the rest .....

Blair

tdiblair

Veteran Member
TDI
Tony,

I forgot to ask. At one time you were thinking of getting something other than a Passat. Now I see you sold the wagon. I think you were looking at a KIA about a year ago? Did you ever come up with something close in value to these particular 2005 B-5 Passats? I'm not a fan of the 2006 and above Passat. Just strikes me as a big Jetta. I'm stumped as to a replacement when that day comes.

Blair

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Tony,

I forgot to ask. At one time you were thinking of getting something other than a Passat. Now I see you sold the wagon. I think you were looking at a KIA about a year ago? Did you ever come up with something close in value to these particular 2005 B-5 Passats? I'm not a fan of the 2006 and above Passat. Just strikes me as a big Jetta. I'm stumped as to a replacement when that day comes.

Blair
Hi Blair:

Great to hear from you again! Too bad it's always about fixing these Passat's though!

Changing the subject for a minute, I was in CT two weeks ago for a funeral and stayed for the week to visit family and old friends. My friends are indeed getting older! I saw that every manufacturing plant in the Naugatuck Valley is shut down for good and that all my friends who used to work in them are either unemployed or "retired'. What a tragedy for the once "Brass Center of the World". plenty of shopping malls though..and fire stations.. and cop cars... and other city employees.

No, I did not find a suitable replacement for my wagon yet. In the interim, I picked up a one owner 2000 Jetta TDI with 185,000 on it here in Texas. That ALH vintage was very reliable. I am waiting for the Kia Sorento to have some time under its belt with the 4 cylinder turbo engine before I get serious. Right now everything is on hold. My daughter just bought a 2010 Ford Fusion SE 4 cylinder and we are selling her 2005 Passat TDI with the new transmission and new CV joints and boots.

Hope you are fine back there and don't think you have the only wife who thinks electricity is free! I'm ready to put a lock box on the thermostat!

Tony

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
I've got the Kia 4 cyl turbo in my daily driver and it rocks. I hope it lasts much longer than the 100k warranty it came with. If my passat came with 100k, I wouldn't have had to buy a new car...

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I've got the Kia 4 cyl turbo in my daily driver and it rocks. I hope it lasts much longer than the 100k warranty it came with. If my passat came with 100k, I wouldn't have had to buy a new car...
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Our old 2005 Hyundai XG350L went to 120K with absolutely no issues (or warranty visits). We gave the car to one of the kids who was in need of a good car and it still is going strong. All I did to that car besides fluids, filters and one timing belt change was front brakes @ near 110,000. The Koreans have come a long way in a short time....:)

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
So why did you leave Hyundai and go VW?
This one has no belt and is a non-interference engine.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
So why did you leave Hyundai and go VW?
This one has no belt and is a non-interference engine.
The Hyundai was my wife's work car when she was a district manager and drove 30,000 miles per year. We bought it new. Wife is now "retired" and puts around in a 2006 CTS.

I bought the Passat from my use as a work car with 52K on it (oilfield visits, client trips, etc). I sold it at 140K with a TC code in my face.

I may retire soon and will be leaning towards a newer Sorento for trips, etc. I may keep the 2000 Jetta as a spare.

tdiblair

Veteran Member
TDI
Tough Tony,

Well sorry about the funeral visit to CT. Since we are both origianlly CT Yankees and both in the oil industry, you should stop by. Yup, as you noticed - Government keeps growning around here - lots of old abandoned factories in the upper valleys of CT. Now all we need is a private industry to feed the Govenment around here. As one guy said, by the 4th century, the Roman economy and tax structure was so dismal that many farmers abandoned their lands in order to receive public entitlements. At this point, the Roman government was spending the majority of the funds it collected on either the military or public entitlements. For a time, according to historian Joseph Tainter, "those who lived off the treasury were more numerous than those paying into it. Sound familiar?" Luckily Kim Kardashian announced today that she wants to run for public office too. So between Obama and Kim's 16 million dollar wedding followed by a marriage that lasted 2 weeks -well , I think we're all full of hope.

As to your 2000 Jetti TDI , I had a 2001. Brother had a 2000. The both came with bad MAF's - but trust me, the origian MAF can't be in your car. There was a recall . Next was the window regulators - another recall. Minor stuff. The one thing you have to watch for is the coolent tank can develope a leak that allows the antifreeze to travel down the electrical wire attached to a sensor at the ' bottom ' of your whitle plastic coolant tank. The electricty would draw the coolent all the way to the rear break lights and rot the wire harness beyond the economical means to fix. MoGolf developed a safe guard. Its been too many years for me to remember so you'll have to look the fix up on the Jetta forum. Knowing you, you have done it already but - heck - better safe than sorry.....but I know you usual know all this stuff. The MoGolf fix was a hot nail water drip hole melting a drain hole where the electrical connection - under the tank - holds the wire or a drill bit. With the drain hole, if the tank sensor plug begins to leak - it just drips down on the road , though the MoGolf drain hole, instead of down the wire harness.
At 185,000 miles, if not done yet - I'd do it this weekend. I found the hot nail help in a propane flame the best method.

Blair

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
I've heard nothing bur praise about Marty @ Raxles, so I just sent him a set of S4 manual axles to freshen up for my recent 6 speed manual conversion on the B5.5.

I can't complain about the CV boots though as I've only had one replaced in 120k miles. Do you guys turn your steering wheel from lock to lock often?

I thought for sure that with our crappy roads, temp variances, & salt usage, replacement intervals would be more frequent.

tdiblair

Veteran Member
TDI
Sprocket,

120k on VW B5.5 is a world record. You prize is in the mail. 120K is only possible to reach without a split boot if all your destinations in MI are done in straight lines - no turns. But yes, in my case my driveway has a fairly sharp turn and in fairness - my cars are not driven much - so age is probably more the issue. Where the average Joe puts 12,500 miles on each year I have a 14 year old Cheby with 54K on it - one 2005 Passat with 38K and the one that gets the most punishments is the Passat Wagon with a massive 58K in 7 years. Regardless, with Marty and about 3 hours time, I can live with it. Would one more plete in the rubber CV boot solve the stretch issue for our extra tight turning geometry and these split CV boots? Maybe VW will figure it out one day. For now we have Marty at raxles.com

Blair

blaz

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
Hmm, last time I looked (~200,000km, 124K miles) the original boots were ok.

Is this a pro-active thing? Should I have the boots changed and u-joints repacked even if they look good?

Shipping the Passat off to my daughter on the other side of the continent, so want it to be in good shape.

tdiblair

Veteran Member
TDI
Blaz...

The signs of a cracked/ split boot. Think of it this way when you check the car. Coming off the transmission there are two half shafts going to each front wheel. Each axle is held in there with 6 bolts at the transmission flange and 1 big bolt at the end of the axle over by the wheel. Next each half shaft has TWO joints and TWO boots that can split. One black according type boot is over at the transmission side of the axle. The second one is right inside the concave section of your wheel or close to the break disc. If this outer joint ( near the break disc) is broken it will spay greese to the inside of the wheel when you pull it off. Putting your head under thre front bumper and with a flash light you will probably notice this spray of grease on the inside of the steel wheel or mag wheel - but - the steel wheels are painted black so it's harder to see the greese whereas the light colored mag wheel shows the dark greese best. As to the inner boots over by the side of the transmission - car has to be up in the air ( generally) for you to get a good look from underneath as you rotate the axle to look all around the boot or to feel with your finger. If it's split, will probably see a grease mess - not that hard to find. I'm guessing from the engine bay looking down is another way but more difficult to rotate the axle unless you push the car for rotation. I was already under my car changing the Tranny Fluid and filter when I saw the greese spayed all on the inside of my mag wheel. I had no clue of this event just looking at the car while it was on the ground and parked in the driveway. That has alway been the case with me and I'm on my 3rd split boot. I only find out thought the ' sound' method on if I have a bad CV joint or not.

When a CV joint has been exposed to a split boot and dirt getting in there to grind it up - you will generally hear a metalic clunking or clicking sound coming from it when you start rollling out in first gear with the wheels turned sharply left or right to get the clicking sound. CV joints are - in general terms - considered solid for 100K. But with our B 5.5 Passats it's the rubber boot that usually goes first and the dirt grinds up the smooth surfaces on the CV joints. In my opinion, only the high mileage salesman driving on a straight highway, most every day and putting on lots of miles a year will see 100K + miles on the original boots or the driver that knows his B5.5 Passat has a superior turning radius and knows not to go lock to lock turns. Again, I avoid the lock to lock sharp turns, but this is not possible to execute with wifes and I would wager daughters will be in the same catagory.

Blair

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I have (had) two 2005 Passat TDI's with over 120K on each. I have replaced a total of eight outer CV boots between the two.

I am an expert at pulling these axles and changing boots and have a spare passenger side axle sitting by re-booted in the garage. I can't believe one of these cars can go 120K without splitting an outer boot, unless, like Blair says, all it does is go on a straight line with gentle turns (or the boot damage is unnoticed).

blaz

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
Incredible.

I've looked and felt around the boots; the guru who did my BSM checked the car over at 100K miles and found nothing; and the stealer who did the last winter oil change/check, said nothing (and I'm sure they would if there were $$ in it for them).

Anyway, I'll probably get the boots replaced and repacked even if they're not cracked before sending it off.

Wonder if the hot/dry Texas weather has anything to do with it?

Thanks for the advice.

auntulna

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS Passat wagon, mit panzer plate
My Saturday night catch-up,

Blair, post #7 re: the kitchen is the funniest thing I 've read on this blog in 7 years. I know what you mean brother.

I've purchased from Marty with satisfaction , and have also done it Tony's way. I stand ready for the next inevitable boot burp, scrubbed and gloved.

Tony, if you're driving north this year, why don't you come by for some TDI fellowship with Franko6 and me?

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Tony, if you're driving north this year, why don't you come by for some TDI fellowship with Franko6 and me?
Are you and Frank both in the Springfield area? I had an old friend there (south of Springfield) 10 years ago trying to raise some cattle...old Connecticut buddy.

I do need an excuse for a trip north...;) Maybe on the way to Wisconsin in late summer?

RI_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 B5.5v, '89 DOKA Syncro
... I saw that every manufacturing plant in the Naugatuck Valley is shut down for good and that all my friends who used to work in them are either unemployed or "retired'. What a tragedy for the once "Brass Center of the World".
Tony, did you notice if Ansonia Copper and Brass is closed, too?

qhartman

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon w/ chainectomy
just wanted to drop a thank you to everyone who commented on this thread and shared your experience. I have B5 that has the "vibrate like there's a bad motor mount at a stop" problem but the motor mounts check out. It has stumped two shops, but now I have another avenue to explore, as I did have an axle replaced due to a bad CV just prior to noticing this vibration, and it was almost certainly a "cheap chinese reground" one.

DrDon

TDI
NB, 2001, Silver
Just to add to the boot life comments: 2001 NB TDI, 220,000 miles so far... some roughness on inner CV boot surface of ridges, otherwise intact.

(ran across this thread while looking for Half Shaft/Axle Flange center bolt torque setting; putting back together with combination clutch change (to G60/VR6) and deluxe timing belt kit (original belt--amazingly modest deterioration during monitored 220K service)... engine swinging free does have some advantages (and drawback or two) for both timing belt and clutch change.

blaz

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
Incredible.
I've looked and felt around the boots; the guru who did my BSM checked the car over at 100K miles and found nothing; and the stealer who did the last winter oil change/check, said nothing (and I'm sure they would if there were $$ in it for them).
Anyway, I'll probably get the boots replaced and repacked even if they're not cracked before sending it off.
Crikey, knew I shouldn't have said anything.

My son reported the front end just started making some funny noises last week, and, sure enough, one of the boots is split all around.

Going in to be Guru-ed next week. ~230K km (143K miles)

Gaggu P

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat B5.5 BHW
Blaz, where are you getting new shafts from / where are you getting them installed?

blaz

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
Blaz, where are you getting new shafts from / where are you getting them installed?
Took it to DCB auto in Toronto. Like Oilhammer, he rebuilds them if necessary.

I cheaped out and didn't replace the outer U-joints (>$300 each) as we think the one outer boot broke just recently. We'll see.

Can't give you details on the pricing as I haven't seen the invoice yet. My son handled the transaction.