Poor AM radio reception RCD-310

detroitmike

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat DSG
I don't listen to AM very often but when I want it, I'd like to have it. Problem is, I can't get any channels to come in.

Anyone else have this problem in their Jetta?

Any fix for it? Or do I just have to live with it?

Beals

TDI
2011 Jetta 2.5 SE
My reception for my AM works flawlessly. I went 2 hours from my local radio stations and was able to still get reception as if I was in my home town. In any other vehicle I was in VW or not you'd lose reception from them about 45 minutes away.

If it's that bad take it to the dealer and let them have a look at it.

hawleyrw

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 White M6 w/Prem and Nav
I've actually got a 315 - checked the full range of AM and picked up about 15-20 stations, without issue. Just wanted to let you know.

pinkertonfloyd

Veteran Member
TDI
14' Subie Outback FMR: 12' Jetta TDI/P+N
Is you car Tinted?

AM Antenna is in the glass I believe, tint is known to block some of the signal as most of the "premium" ones contain metal.

hawleyrw

Veteran Member
TDI
It wasn't when I made the test - but it is now (just had it done last Sat). I'll test it again today and get back to you.

hawleyrw

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, post window tint, AM stations were cut at least in half. Testing today I got about 6 stations total where previously it was more than double that. I didn't figure it would make a difference.

hawleyrw

Veteran Member
TDI
me either. I know the diversity antenna is integrated into the window (Obvioius), but would think tint would mess with anything - if anything, the rear window defroster, but I've been told that's never an issue (tint is a first for me with this car).

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
Is you car Tinted?

AM Antenna is in the glass I believe, tint is known to block some of the signal as most of the "premium" ones contain metal.
Agreed that window tint could be causing the probelm, but FWIW most "Premium" tints DONT have metal in them, this way they dont interfer with electronics in the car. Thats whey they are considered premium. I went with one of 3M's top quality tints that doesnt interfer with satelite or radio signals. Well worth the extra 150, plus the life time warranty thru 3M is nice since most shops still offer waranty, but next thing you know its closed.

EDIT: Source
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...ducts/Automotive/FX_Premium_Automotive_Films/

Underwhere

TDI
MK6 Jetta DSG
Not to bring this up from the dead but:
My '11 Jetta is having progressively worsening radio reception. Stations that came in perfectly clear about 2 months ago are fading.

No tint on my rear window. I have the non-nav head unit.

Does anyone know where the antenna wiring is run? Under the rear deck? I'm wondering if something came loose.

mklabunde

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
me either. I know the diversity antenna is integrated into the window (Obvioius), but would think tint would mess with anything - if anything, the rear window defroster, but I've been told that's never an issue (tint is a first for me with this car).
There is a new tint that doesn't use metal and doesn't fade that's the reason for the metal in the tint to help with fading. I don't recall what the tint is called but I had it installed on my 2012 jetta and my AM is fine if i was home I could look up the type of tint and let you know. I think it starts with a C but I for the life of me can't remember the word :mad::mad:

Mark

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
I get good AM reception heading east to my brother's place about 65 miles east and maybe farther. Don't usually listen to AM on the road though.

RDC98tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta 6MT Prem / (RIP) '98 Jetta 5MT [280k+mi]
One thing to keep in mind, guys, is that AM signals in that part of the spectrum (low frequency) are prone to propagation characteristics much differently than FM broadcast and Satellite radio. The weather, humidity, and ionosphere all contribute to how far a signal will bounce or if it will get absorbed. Signals this low in frequency typically follow groundwaves (ie, follow the earth's curvature) in the day. At night, the waves will travel via skywave and groundwave.

FM Broadcast is 100 times higher in frequncy (VHF) and a different modulation. These signals are almost purely line of site because the wavelength is much smaller.

Point being, that AM broadcast station propagation is much less stable and certain months I can pick up stations in Ft. Worth Texas from my car in Louisville, some months I can barely make the trip to Cincinnati! If you start paying attention to when you can and can't pick up certain stations, you might notice a pattern based on weather, solar cycles, temperature, etc.

Not saying that the window tint isn't a factor, but propagation can play tricks too.

Last edited:

detroitmike

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat DSG
My problem was the cheap Metallic window tint that Ziebart put on my car. I'm embarrassed to even say I went to those hacks. The installer even forgot to clean my drivers side window before putting on the tint. I didn't notice until I tried cleaning my windows and couldn't seem to get that one clean. :rolleyes:

You live and learn I guess.

This time I went with a different installer and
3M™ FX Premium Automotive Window Films.

Very good product even though it isn't thier top of the line.

And zero radio interference.