Guru's Help please. A5 BRM Engine speed sensor, ECU & grounds

brianstrange

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta DSG Auto Pkg 1
If CNN bites, I'll send you the pictures that VW took of my mess and emailed back to me. This proves that they are aware of the situation. (was not a defect)

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Brian, I have received at least 5 PMs or emails from others who have ahd this problem but not posted here. How bout you?

brianstrange

Veteran Member
TDI
No, just you guys. I cleaned my wires, wrapped them with ele tape, and loosely reassembed, and no problems for 15 months. It's still a defect.

storbick

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
pics

Hi!

I will be adding more pics over time to the following website:

www.etess.com/jetta

BTW...I contacted VWoA and received a REF# for my complaint.

Also filed a complaint on the NHTSA website.

Once the rest of the pics are in place I will contact the news media to see if there is any interest in this problem but probably someone has to die before it will be addressed.

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
Hey everyone, im experiencing longer cranking because of my engine speed sensor. I thoroughly inspected the entire length of the harness and it looks good. I went ahead and ordered a new sensor. Are they just plug & play? Thanks

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Sendjon...; Are you having any other symptoms other then long cranking time? Any codes, glow plug light flashing? Oil indicator lights? If so, double check with VCDS prior to doing G28 ESS as is a bear to do. Double check the harness first as it is much easier. Good luck with it.

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
Bob, only symptom is crank time and vag-com shows a code for G28. When I bought the car it had a 4-5 sec crank time. Local guru did a whole timing belt job for me, timing was off, now its spot on and im sure of that. Since the beginning its always had the code for G28 engine speed sensor - implausible signal. I replaced the in-tank lift pump (as it was not functioning), now it functions but didnt fix the start issue. I ordered a new engine speed sensor, what is "ESS"? and what is the procedure for replacing the sensor? (my car is a 1.9 BEW by the way) thanks!

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
ESS = Engine Speed Sensor = G28

Check with DanG144 who posted and helped earlier in this thread as he knows the BEW well. Dan was kind enough to run a few verification checks for me when I was trying to sort out my issue. From what I understand, the BEW will not run without the G28 signal where as the BRM picks up the Cam speed sensor and uses that to run the engine. That is why the tack often drops out in the BRM harness chafe situation. What is your tack doing during the long cranking time & when it stops?

As for accessing the ESS for R&R, run a search here on Fred's & you will find valuable information. I was able to R&R mine via the harness access which was a PITA and involved removing the oil filter bracket from the block. I understand that sometimes it is not possible to do it this way & one has to go in the hard way.

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
Thanks for the clarification Bob, I shouldve known what ESS means :) It looks like there's enough room on the BEW to remove the ESS. While cranking sometimes the tach is at zero, and sometimes its jumpy. The harness is in good shape, I inspected its length today. I cleared the code for the G28 and it returned. I'll see if replacing it has any effect. I tested it with a multimeter today and it was below spec. (read .498k ohms, should be between 1k-1.5k)

brianstrange

Veteran Member
TDI
When you say the harness looks good, Are you removing the wires from the loom to inspect? My issue was not visible until opening up the loom.

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
My inspecting the wires involved cleaning the black bundles and inspecting them for chafing. I figure if the outsides weren't noticeably damaged, then the insides may not be. I'll see what replacing the sensor does as I already have one on the way. Also, I did test the resistance at the connector of the sensor and it read .498k ohms, when IIRC it should read between 1k and 1.5k. Am I correct?

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Jon; From Dan's post #21 of this thread. 05 BEW. I will check the good ESS I removed tomorrow for you.

Brian, I hope all is well.

P0322 Engine Speed circuit input no signal. (<75 rpm).

If this is really out of service an ALH will use the needle lift sensor as a backup, and will continue to run (it is not clear if it will start without the engine speed sensor.) The BEW PD has no backup (even though it tracks the CAM speed as well!) and will not run.

My Engine speed sensor (2005 BEW PD) reads 561 ohms pins 1-2,or pins 2-1 (polarity made no difference). The repair manual calls for "0.7 to 1000K ohms" across pins 1-2. Like I said, I had 561 ohms on a known good one. The repair manual also has you check that there is an open circuit between pins 1-3 and 2-3, expecting infinite ohms. My fluke read greater than 6 megohms.

While I suspect the same sensor is used on the BRM, I do not know for sure.

brianstrange

Veteran Member
TDI
You have to inspect the inside. The damage that I had, and IIRC Bob had, was not visible until splitting the loom.

bmccrea

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Golf TDI Wolfsburg, '10 Touareg TDI
I have this problem!
Its under warranty still and the dealer is replacing the sensor. I'll mention about the chafe points and make sure if its wearing/worn that it all gets straightened out!

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
Yesterday for the first time, I got the flashing oil light, glow plug light, ASR light, and my tach stopped working for a second. Once I re started the car, everything was normal until it just died on me pulling into a parking lot after driving another few kms. then normal again upon restart.
I've had a few instances where the car takes longer to start for the past year or so as well.
Also got check engine light giving code p0726.

After reading this thread, seems like I might have ESS issues, and wiring harness issues.
Going out to today to have a look at things.

I think I have a good idea where to look for chafing...under the air box and battery area.
Could anyone post some pictures of exactly where all these wiring chafing issues seem to be
happening? I'll report back this afternoon if I can find anything.

Oh, and I have 278,000kms or 172,000miles on the car.

brianstrange

Veteran Member
TDI
Take the air box out, and follow the harness that's on the front side of the engine, that runs by the starter, and then the drivers headlight. I'm giving you the best description as I remember. You need to open the split loom, as the wires inside rub on the inside of the loom, and each other. Some have found issues up under the battery area as well.

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
Haven't driven the car much in the past two weeks, as I have been away from the office working.
Was on my way to a Guru Tuesday morning, and the car made it 1km from my house, stalled, and would not re-start.

Got a call last night, that yes, in fact there were two wires that had issues, one that was very close to severing, and one that was completely severed. He repaired the wires, and the car is good to go.
I'll follow up with this thread in a few weeks/months, to see if it has completely solved the problem.

hemsj

TDI
2006 Jetta
I have the same problem, Did you find out what caused your problem? My problem seems to be when it is raining or when I go through a car wash.

Steve,
I took my wiring harness apart below the air box and found several wires with the insulation rubbed through but not broken, so when the water got in the loom it shorted out the wires. I did not repair them yet but I’m sure this is the problem.
Thanks For all your help I will post this.

Last edited:

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
Replied to your email Hemsj. Hopefully you can get it sorted out soon.

If you don't want to tackle it yourself, I suggest getting it to a local Guru soon!

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
I have the same problem, Did you find out what caused your problem? My problem seems to be when it is raining or when I go through a car wash.

Steve,
I took my wiring harness apart below the air box and found several wires with the insulation rubbed through but not broken, so when the water got in the loom it shorted out the wires. I did not repair them yet but I’m sure this is the problem.
Thanks For all your help I will post this.
Glad to read that you were able to sort out the problem so quickly. :) Bob

brianstrange

Veteran Member
TDI
Attention to all who have been affected by this issue: PLEASE REPORT YOR PROBLEM TO NHTSB! If everyone that has had this problem (as noted earlier 40 people), filed their report, NTHSB would have launched a campaign by now. I can tell you, from a good source that this has a good chance only if the 40 or so people that have had the problem actually report it. I also encourage ANYONE with a 2006.6 Jetta TDI to inspect the engine wiring inside the loom for shaffe (described earlier in this post) The NHTSB is on your side here, your tax dollar pays them to help you in these situations.

If you already experienced the problem, please take the time to file the report at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/
Your car stalling, unable to restart, and possible fire due to short circuited wires are a serious safety concern to you, your family, and other drivers on the road.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
For the sake of people searching for information on this sensor the part number for the G28 Engine Speed Sensor for BRM is 036906433E.

I've been searching for hours, hopefully I'll save someone else some time.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Thanks Corey.

I'll let you know on the one in my shop.

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB TDI plus CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
Over the course of several years I've had intermittent speed sensor errors on my New Beetle automatic. It's been causing the tranny to go into limp mode. I used to get the intermittent signal and now I'm getting the no signal for the sensor.
It's the only error I get. How likely is it that it is only the sensor gone bad?
Resetting it with my vag-com used to work but is getting less likely to succeed in resetting.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Other than replacing the sensor is to trace the wires.

IIRC, one is +5 or +12; one id ground, and one is VSS to the ECU. Unfortunately, I don't know the colors.

Tony