Shifter pops up and down

Doc_Oc

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
Twice already, when I went to shift fast/hard from first to second, my shifter popped out of it's position. Once up and once down.
Short of changing the entire shifter, is there another solution?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Am I asking the worst questions ever? :) I never get an answer to my problems:)
Don't feel too, t took me a year to get a correct answer on oil pressure (no, really)
First check the bits on top of the transmission. There is an actuator with a weight attached which selects the "gate" and a lever (round) that engages the gear. I've broken both those pieces. Check those and maybe do a cable adjustment, there is an excellent write-up by a vendor on here somewhere. It could also be really gunked up gear oil or the shifter in the car.

Doc_Oc

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
Haha! Thanks for the answer. But my problem has nothing to do with the shifter tower on the tranny. It's my gear selector that pops up and down from the shifter box inside the cab. The other end of the cables:)
How in the world did you brake those?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Haha! Thanks for the answer. But my problem has nothing to do with the shifter tower on the tranny. It's my gear selector that pops up and down from the shifter box inside the cab. The other end of the cables:)
How in the world did you brake those?
O.K. but keep in mind the stick is connected to the two pieces on top of the transmission, when they break the shifter will go where it likes.
Mine broke due to a heavy hand and work stress + the early models used slightly different hardware.