Finally a cheap AFT for real???

tdiblair

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 2005 silver Passat Sedan & 2005 Wagon Stone Henge Gray
Just did my AFT / filter change and another axle change out.
Being an anal type, I bought 6 liters of the VW ( ZF approved) blend AFT at over $18 a liter - once again along with the very expensive VW ATF filter and very expensive gasket. I was not very impressed with the $60 gasket, so I might go for the cheaper OEM spec gasket next time. As to the filter, again, being anal I fear cheaping out on my car but these other ATF filters for less than half the price claime to meet OEM Specs. I wonder if true?

On another web site for our Passats they listed about 6 other ATF for around $3.50 that are approved for our ZF trannys. Then reading down the end of the thead one poster gets on and says that Quaker State or PennOil or Amsoil ' claiming ' their ATF meets ZF spec is NOT the same as ZF saying a particular ATF is on their ZF approved list of fluids. In short he was saying if it's not on ZF's list - don't use it or don't trust what anther vendor tells you about spec UNLESS it's the vendor of the tranny which defaults back to ZF, the maker or our tranny. As far as he was concerned - only two AFT's are on ZF's list. One is what I buy from VW which is a blend ( partially synthetic) the other, he claims, is Pentosine ATF 1 ( which is pure synthetic) and a little cheaper. I didn't know about this Pento being approved and again I haven't seen this upgraded ZF approved list. All I see is a very old ZF http// on a web site. Don't even know where to go to find ZF's approved and upgraded list.

I'm too scared to try the cheaper AFT. So I can sleep, I'm sure I'll be paying up for VW bottles but being a guy who does this job every 30K, it's costly. I'm wondering if someone here knows how someone like Quaker State can approve their ATF for our needs but have ZF ingore them over on the ZF approved list.

At most the 100% synthetic Pentosine intrigues me, but I don't have a ZF ATF approved list in front of me. I don't really know if the Pento pure synthetic is approved and if it is really called Pentosine One?

So, are we all gambling if we venture away from the VW ATF that I've been buying from E.C. Tuning or are there real alternatives that are truely approved by ZF?

Blair

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
IIRC, in order for a brand to list ZF specs on their bottle, they have to be approved by ZF.
There are several brands with ZF specs on their bottles...

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
I use the Pentosin and my local transmission shop which rebuilds our ZF trannys and supplies a 2 year warranty uses it as well

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
For under $100 idparts sells a flush kit with six liters of pentosin fluid along with a filter and gasket.

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
Valvoline MaxLife ATF available from Walmart should be fine in your ZF transmission at a fraction of the cost of Pentosin ATF1 . But VW does not specifically approve it so some will say one should not use it (like the "hoopla" with Amsoil motor oil not being approved by VW).

Note the attachment letter from Ashland at the bottom of this bimmerfest link below indicating:
Valvoline has conducted in-house testing, independent lab testing, and field-testing to support MaxLife ATF performance in these transmissions; however, it is important to note that the respective vehicle manufacturers have neither evaluated nor approved MaxLife ATF in these applications.​

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
I've used Pentocin products for 40 or so years and found them to be pretty good. I don't think I'll experiment changing to anything else in my trans.

tdiblair

Veteran Member
TDI
ok...thanks...you guys convinced me to stop using the VW AFT at over $18 a liter, and keep in mind it's a blend ...not 100% synthetic....probably cheaper to make... and save some money going to the 100% Pento AFT-1 ...Although some useless information for someone who just drives his car like an old man.... some guys are not that wild about synthetics in every catagory. I respect the lowly castor bean. I've witness castor based oils outperforming synthetic oils at extreme RPM's. It acutally flashes or evaporates at higher heat after the synthetic has flashed off providing zero protection. Then again, Syn's are good for gold weather starts. So a blend might be the best of both worlds? The castor bean turns to a shelac. It's ability to flash off ( or not evaporate) is impressive. At the extreme, right before it's death or should I say at the flash point of other lubs it will hang in a little longer. Although shelac coating your engines parts is not a wonderful thing to have....it's better than nothing coating your metal and shelac will provide better lubrication than a synthetic that has totally evaporated away and left the metal bear. Again, I don't race around in my Passat Wagon. Too much loose crap in the back to take the G-forces. And since I'm doing another ATF flush (leaving the pan and filter in place) 3,000 miles after the major ATF service...I think I will go with the cheaper Pento and for the winter, wouldn't mind the 100% syn. Just needed you approval first and the approvals above are what I needed....Especially a Thundershorts approval. That's better than my dealer.

Blair

tdiblair

Veteran Member
TDI
Tough Tony,

Yeah, your right on Thundershorts ego. Crap, now what do I do?

Blair

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
hey, do I really have that big an ego? anyway, Pentocin makes good products and I have confidence using them. They are oem for Citroen green juice(lhm) and have been for 50 or so years

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Guess I'll just have learn to live with it....

CsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 TouaregTDI, '15 JettaTDI
The Pelican Parts website says that Febi, Pentosin, and one other brand ATF carry a 1 year warranty, where ZF carries a 2 year warranty. What does this mean?

DezlDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat TDI Variant - United Grey
This is anecdotal, but.......my neighbor and I bought the same Passat TDI wagons in 2005, as a joint purchase. At 50,000 km we both changed our ATF. Long story short, he used BG, which gives its own phoney certification: "Meets or exceeds...". I used the VW fluid. 1 year later, his transmission blew up; it wasn't the torque converter. He got a new remanufactured ZF installed for $6500. I went with him to the mechanic and all they could determine is that everything was scorched inside; the fluid was pitch black and full of particulate. Everything showed signs of extreme labor and wear. My transmission with the real fluid is running strong and has never needed any work. Is this conclusive? No. But I'd rather be safe than sorry.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
but look how much he saved on the cost of the fluid change by using cheap fluid....