3D Printed Cell Phone Mount

wbuschman

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (6 Spd. Manual)
So this upgrade isn’t quite as extreme as some of the other stuff I’ve read about here, but it solved what was a bit of a problem for me and I’m quite pleased with the end result. Thought others might be interested in it.

Just picked up my 2012 Jetta TDI and I love it. This is the first car I've ever owned that wasn't a used rust heap, so I’m very concerned about not making any irreversible modifications to the interior.

I use my cell phone for navigation quite frequently, so I did at least need a way to mount the phone in the car. I have a Droid RAZR MAXX and purchased the standard Verizon car dock for the phone which consists of a suction-cup base and a pivoting bracket that holds the phone on the base. I’m not a fan of the suction-cup mount, as I don’t want to mount the thing on the windshield and have the power cord running all the way down to the center console. Also, the suction-cup base comes with an adhesive-backed plate that can be used to mount the thing on uneven surfaces. I wasn’t really a fan of this idea either, as I didn’t want to go sticking some ugly plastic plate on my brand new interior.

Looking around for other options I noticed 5 little caps right in front of my gear shifter that looked like they were probably removable. I carefully pried one loose and found a square hole beneath it that I assume is for mounting after-market accessory switches or something of the like. Whatever they’re for, I’m glad they’re there because they were in a perfect location for a cell phone mount – right in front of the storage compartment with the 12v plug and aux in cable. By mounting the phone here, I could keep the wires completely hidden and out of the way!

Here’s a picture of the accessory holes that I’m talking about:

I took the cover cap that I pried loose and sketched it up in SolidWorks (3D drafting software). I printed a couple versions on my 3D printer until I had a plug that fit snugly but was easy to remove. If you noticed some white chips in the first picture, that’s because my first plug prototype fit a bit too well… After clipping it in, I couldn’t remove it without pulling harder than I cared to on the center console of my car. So, I carefully drilled it out to remove it safely. I can’t tell you how nervous I was wielding a drill in my 3-day-old interior! :eek:

Anyway, once I had a plug design I was happy with, I held the phone about where I wanted it and took some quick measurements to determine how high and how far back I wanted the pivot point in relation to the plug. I went back into SolidWorks and drew the rest of the mounting base up. Here’s a photo-render of the final version of my SolidWorks model:

Once I was happy with the design, I fed the final model into my 3D printer, waited about an hour, and presto – I had a cell phone mount I could live with. Here is the printed part right off the printer and mounted in place:

Next order of business is to give the part a solvent bath to help bind the printed plastic layers together. After that cures I’ll hit it with a little flat-black paint to help it blend in with the interior a little better. Once I’ve finished all that, I’ll take another picture of the finished product and post it up here.

If anyone else has a RAZR MAXX with the same mount and would like me to print one of these for them, let me know. I would even be willing to make other custom mounts / parts to fit in these accessory holes if anyone has any other ideas for accessories. Assuming I don’t get a huge rush of requests, I would be willing to make the parts free of charge. I have fun designing and printing anyway. :)

Masonjar

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon GL
That is so cool...! I'd love to get something that fits one of the spare buttons in my '01 Golf or '05 Jetta Wagon. I have a holder that unclips from the windshield mount to hold the phone itself, so would just need a base - as you did.

What sort of data do you need to be able to draw accurately?

Andrew

wbuschman

TDI
What sort of data do you need to be able to draw accurately?

Andrew
Well, I don't know how much the clips change over the years, so I would need you to send me one of the clips out of your car. Then I also need the cell phone mount you're using so that I can verify clearances and that everything will fit. Also, if you take a picture of the mount in your car about where you would like it from a couple of angles, I'll have a better chance of getting it where you want it on the first try. Once I've drawn up the mount and sent it back to you with your clip and holder, I'll keep the model so that if you want some slight modifications done to it, I can just print another one.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
What is the diameter of the ball on the end. It looks very similar to the mount for a Garmen GPS. I am curious it it will fit for that purpose.

Have Fun!

Don

wbuschman

TDI
What is the diameter of the ball on the end. It looks very similar to the mount for a Garmen GPS. I am curious it it will fit for that purpose.

Have Fun!

Don
Ball diameter is 0.665in. My printer only goes to 0.01in resolution, though, and I never actually measured the finished printed part, but it fits great. I can easily modify the ball diameter if needed.

wbuschman

TDI
Finished Product

Okay, so I couldn't wait for solvents and paints to dry, so I went ahead and sped up the process with a heat gun. Here is the painted part in place:

And here is what the overall console looks like with the phone mounted in place:

Nice and clean - no visible wires hanging all over the place. Only problem is that when I'm in 1st or 3rd gear, the screen is slightly obscured by the shift handle. I don't find it annoying, though, so not a big deal to me.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Amazing, how would you sell them for? whats the cost to feel the 3D printer with stock? I think many people in the mk5/6 with smart phones would love the idea.

You might have a small business on your hands.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Amazing, how would you sell them for? whats the cost to feel the 3D printer with stock? I think many people in the mk5/6 with smart phones would love the idea.

You might have a small business on your hands.
I think in order to make a real business out of this, the 3D printed version should be used as a "master" to create a mold for injection molding. This would make for a much cheaper to produce product. Mass production with a 3D printer would be much costlier. However, I agree that this product just might make for a viable small business opportunity, especially if the ball is the right size to also work with Garmin GPS units (I haven't yet measured the ball on my GPS mount). Some sort of "universal" (or interchangeable) mount also might work.

Have Fun!

Don

FloridaJohn

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG - sold to VW
Neat! If you are looking to make something "universal", I would make the ball on the end match the RAM mount balls. Then you can attach a wide variety of holders to it.

wbuschman

TDI
I think in order to make a real business out of this, the 3D printed version should be used as a "master" to create a mold for injection molding. This would make for a much cheaper to produce product. Mass production with a 3D printer would be much costlier. However, I agree that this product just might make for a viable small business opportunity, especially if the ball is the right size to also work with Garmin GPS units (I haven't yet measured the ball on my GPS mount). Some sort of "universal" (or interchangeable) mount also might work.

Have Fun!

Don
Don is right that the 3D printed parts wouldn't lend themselves well to mass production. Not only are they expensive (about $5.00 in material) but they're also slow to make and not as durable as an injection molded part. That's why if anyone here wants something like this, I won't be looking to make any money - I'll just make the part in order to build up "street cred" in the TDI community. :)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Well I wasn't thinking any sort of massive manufacturing and Billy Mays campain, but more of something to do in your spare time and to cover your costs.

I don't think many would mind paying $15-$20 shipped.

wbuschman

TDI
Well I wasn't thinking any sort of massive manufacturing and Billy Mays campain, but more of something to do in your spare time and to cover your costs.

I don't think many would mind paying $15-$20 shipped.
Definitely not Billy Mays. I would want Vince of Shamwow amd Shticky fame. :) 20 bucks would cover my costs at least.

I'm still kinda perfecting the clip. Printed ABS doesn't have the same ability to take repeated stress that injection molded plastics would have. The first one of these I made is already getting flimsy, but I think I know what the problem is. Printed clip 2.0 seems to be holding up much better so far. Anyway, I wouldn't feel right selling these until I feel that they'll have an acceptable service life. So for now, if anyone wants a freebie, now's the time. :)

choppe3

TDI
2005 Golf
Nice

Just got my 3D printer working too. I'm running SW 11 & SW 12, and am planning on building some accessories for my 05 golf to do the same. I also broke the latch that holds my console lid down so I'm printing a new on of those.

wbuschman

TDI
Just got my 3D printer working too. I'm running SW 11 & SW 12, and am planning on building some accessories for my 05 golf to do the same. I also broke the latch that holds my console lid down so I'm printing a new on of those.
If you want my SW 12 model of the part, PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you.

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
Im curious, What is the model of the 3d printer you use?

Im getting very interested in this and might buy one just to play around with.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
The cost and durability of 3D printing is getting much much better. There was a large USAtoday article on it a month or so ago. Boeing and many other car part makers are doing a lot of 3D printing. Even though the individual part is a little more costly-and time consuming-you can make changes as soon as you know you need to without a cost in different die's so depending on the part it can make sense. And they are getting them faster plus one person can run several printers at once. They can even do metals. Keep up the good work.

wbuschman

TDI
Im curious, What is the model of the 3d printer you use?

Im getting very interested in this and might buy one just to play around with.
I use a Dimension uPrint which runs around $16K these days. You can pick a MakerBot up for MUCH cheaper, though, and they're pretty impressive little machines. The only drawback to the hobby machines (at least when I picked the Dimension) is that they don't print support material at the same time as model material. The machine I have builds a water-soluble support structure that is washed away after printing. The support structure lets you model parts with cavities that wouldn't be possible on the hobby machines.

DjEclipse

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI (Comfort Line), 2001 Jetta TDI Gone to TDi Heaven
Hello wbuschman,

Are you still making these? I am looking at phone mounting options, was looking at the car the other day and thought that area would be the perfect spot for the phone mount. Great idea!