tps reset?

cj42

TDI
80 Rabbit,84 jetta,85 Jetta,03 Cummins, 2012 Passat SE 6MT Tdi
Just pick up and tps light came on. Anyone know how to reset?

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Did you check your owners manual, it's in the glove box, usually?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Before you reset the TPMS - make sure that all of your tires are properly inflated. When you press the reset button it assumes that they are all fully inflated.

Have Fun!

Don

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Double check the tires - but if yours is like mine it has a tendency to come on with the tires inflated.

Resetting is covered in the owners manual. The switch is in the glove box. Turn the car on, but don't start, press the switch until the car dings and it is reset.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I've already had one false "low tire" reading, when all were exactly the same PSI.

cj42

TDI
80 Rabbit,84 jetta,85 Jetta,03 Cummins, 2012 Passat SE 6MT Tdi
LOL. I found the reset button but didn't read that you had to hold it down. The controls in this car are a little different then my old commuter car...94 corolla :)

Cool thing is I can use the google map nav ap on my droid and hear it through the bt on the car. Now I just have to figure out how to be able to listen to sirius and google nav at the sametime...

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
I've already had one false "low tire" reading, when all were exactly the same PSI.
I've had the warning lite up 4 times already. Only 1 was actually a low tire that I had to have fixed. The other 3 were all false warnings.:rolleyes: To say I don't trust the light is an understatement.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
And people bashed on direct TPMS! Hey be glad that you won't have to pay $90 it it was a bad sensor.

sesh1957

Deactivated Account
Might want to fill your tires with nitrogen, it is much drier than compressed air, the dampness can affect the sensors. You get a more consistant tire pressure over temperature change as well.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Might want to fill your tires with nitrogen, it is much drier than compressed air, the dampness can affect the sensors. You get a more consistant tire pressure over temperature change as well.

A new 'benefit' to running N in tires.:roll eyes:

Good old dry 'AIR' will do just fine.

Bill

eprater1

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI w/DSG(transmission failed w/800 miles on it) 2012 Passat SE w/Sunroof -65k traded in on 2013 Passat TDI SE w/Sunroof 2006 Ford F350 on 37's, few things deleted, little methanol injection, few things modded, few more filters added :)
A new 'benefit' to running N in tires.:roll eyes:
Good old dry 'AIR' will do just fine.
Bill
I'm with Bill on this one, I've even had a Michelin engineer tell me it's all crap and just a way to get an ext buck out of consumers.......regular air is what 80% anyways. :rolleyes:

gfr1

TDI
2012 Passat SEL TDI ordered

Plus, there's no sensors in the tires!

peace_of_soul

TDI
2000 Jetta, 2012 Passat
We picked ours up - 7.6 total miles - and were told to drive it around a bit and then bring it back for them to adjust the tire pressure.

We're also going to have it washed . . . :eek:)

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
We picked ours up - 7.6 total miles - and were told to drive it around a bit and then bring it back for them to adjust the tire pressure.

We're also going to have it washed . . . :eek:)
Huh? That's the first time I've heard that one.

I never trust anyone to adjust my tire pressure. I check them all myself, then I KNOW what the PSI is. Good for my comfort behind the wheel, and...it's always a nice stretch for my back:p

FYI, I've been running 40psi on the Hankooks, but just dropped to 36psi, as I complained to the tech about the alignment feeling a bit off. I like to be able to drive a straight stretch with NO steering input, and this car seems to...well...wander a bit, even on perfectly flat (zero crown) stretches (probably no such thing, really). Alignment checked out within specs (I saw the computer screen, but stupidly did NOT have them print it out)

At 36psi, it might be a little less prone to wandering, but I just don't know for sure. There's no less tire noise or roughness at 36 than at 40, so I might just bump them back up.

kromicacid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL - Fixed
From the VW website above in post #12 (incase VW takes down the link)

Performance: Tire Pressure Monitoring System
Keep an eye on PSI.

Seeing the TPMS light? Here’s what to do.

Here’s what to do when the “Low pressure” light appears (A) or if you see the “Tire pressure too low” message in the multi-function display.

• Refer to the tire pressure placard (B) mounted inside the driver’s door jamb for the proper pressure.
    Do not inflate to the pressure mounted on the tire’s sidewall, since this is the maximum inflation the tire can handle when cold.
  • Check the air pressure of all four tires.
  • After inflating the low tire(s) to the proper pressure, press the SET (C) button inside the glove compartment for at least two seconds.
  • You will hear a chime and the “Low pressure” light will go off.
  • If you do not inflate the tire(s), the message “Please check tires!” will appear in the multi-function display the next time you start the car.
Cooler temperatures may cause a warning to appear and then disappear as the tires warm up. This is a good reminder to check and adjust the tires to the proper inflation pressure.
WARNING:

Incorrect tire pressures and/or under-inflation can cause sudden tire failure, loss of control, collision, serious personal injury or even death.
  • When the warning symbol appears in the instrument cluster, stop and inspect the tires.
  • Incorrect tire pressure and/or under-inflation can cause increased tire wear and can affect the handling of the vehicle and stopping ability.
  • Incorrect tire pressures and/or under-inflation can also lead to sudden tire failure, including a blowout and sudden deflation, causing loss of vehicle control.
  • The driver is responsible for the correct tire pressures for all tires on the vehicle. The recommended tire pressure values are listed on a sticker inside the driver door or inside the fuel filler flap.
  • The TPMS can only work correctly when all tires on the vehicle are filled to the correct pressure.
  • Using incorrect tire pressure values can cause accidents or other damage. Always inflate the tires to the correct specified cold tire pressure values for the tires installed on the vehicle.
  • Always maintain correct cold tire inflation pressure so that TPMS can do its job.
  • Always inflate tires to the recommended and correct tire pressure before driving off.
  • Driving with underinflated tires causes them to flex (bend) more, letting them get too hot, resulting in tread separation, sudden tire failure, and loss of control.
  • Excessive speed and/overloading can cause heat build-up, sudden tire failure and loss of control.
  • If the tire pressure is too low or too high, the tires will wear prematurely and the vehicle will not handle well.
  • If the tire is not “flat” and you do not have to change a wheel immediately, drive carefully and at reduced speed to the nearest service station to check the tire pressure and add air as required.
  • When replacing tires or wheel rims on vehicles equipped with TPMS always read and heed the information and all WARNINGS regarding Tires and wheels.
  • The Tire Pressure Monitoring System must be recalibrated using the SET button whenever you remove and remount or change any wheel or tire on the vehicle, even if the reinstalled or replacement wheels and tires are identical to those that were removed and even if the tire pressure does not change.

WARNING:

Improper use of the SET button can cause the TPMS to give false warnings or to give no warning despite dangerously low tire pressure.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Dealer my have good intentions, but how long will you have to wait for tires/rims to cool enough for accurate inflation? :rolleyes:

I run 85% of max PSI, so quality tires needed for reasonable noise and handling at that PSI.

sesh1957

Deactivated Account
Do either of you know what dry air is and do you think you get it at the gas station or a tire store? Filled up new triple treds 3 years ago with 98% N2, never added, 30K miles, and still at 32 psi when I checked a couple weeks ago. You guys keep checking your "Good Old" tires and remember this when your sensors fail or misread.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Do either of you know what dry air is and do you think you get it at the gas station or a tire store? Filled up new triple treds 3 years ago with 98% N2, never added, 30K miles, and still at 32 psi when I checked a couple weeks ago. You guys keep checking your "Good Old" tires and remember this when your sensors fail or misread.
Most of the tire stores around here have jumped on the NITROGEN IS HOLY bandwagon. They want to UPCHARGE you for it. If you tell them no thanks, plain old air is good enough.... THEY WILL PUT THE NITROGEN ANYWAY because it is all they have.:D I buy my tires at COSTCO and the N is free there...

I have DRY AIR at my own house because the intake for my air compressor is inside the air-conditioned part of the house and I keep it fairly dry as a matter of course. I also check the water drain valve on the bottom of my tank....:eek:

The instant compressors (that means they don't have a storage tank) at the 'gas' station will produce very wet air... simply avoid them.

Bill

sesh1957

Deactivated Account
It doesn't matter where the air comes from; when air is compressed the dew point rises, a dryer is needed to remove the water to be dry. Even if you had a separate dryer (refrigeration type) your air's dew point at pressure would be about 39 degrees F, after the dryer at your compressor's outlet pressure, at tire pressure probably about 10 degrees F dew point, so you will condensate below 10 degrees F. At your house you are probably putting air in your tire at a dew point around 40 degrees F.

It is relatively simple, dry air or N2 has less temperature variation, with N2 less leaks out of the tire (O2 permeates through the rubber much fastest than N2), and any condensation in detrimental to sensors. Glad to hear you use N2.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
A properly maintained and operated air compressor will provide sufficiently dry air for the tires on my car, your car, or anyone else's daily driver car.

Just because you can measure the simple presence of moisture is not a cause for alarm or extreme measures.

This subject has been discussed many times on the forum in the past and N2 has lost each time... and yes, we have had scientists weigh in on the subject.

BTW, I don't think either N or O 'permeate through the rubber' fast enough to even be a factor on a daily driver.

Cheers, and welcome to the TDI club.

Bill

sesh1957

Deactivated Account
The topic was trouble with the sensor system, which you rolled you eyes at my comments. That was your welcome to the club, too late now.

I started using N2 in my 06 Lexus RX330, per Lexus recommendation, the dealer didn't have it so I put it in. The second year the sensors went off, took quite a while to find out the spare was low (which was still filled with air). Have used it in a Lexus GS300, RX330, BMW X6 and now my Passat. No sensor indications since and proper tire pressure year round for 6 years and +250K miles. Most other auto manufacturer's recommend N2 if the car has sensors, don't know why VW doesn't, but my dealer has it. I have had it available at work for quite a while for free, many of us use it there without any sensor issue.

So all others out there with sensors in your tires, it is a good idea. And as Bill note's free at Costso, and he uses N2 even without sensors?

eprater1

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI w/DSG(transmission failed w/800 miles on it) 2012 Passat SE w/Sunroof -65k traded in on 2013 Passat TDI SE w/Sunroof 2006 Ford F350 on 37's, few things deleted, little methanol injection, few things modded, few more filters added :)

So tell me...where are our sensors that will be more prone to fail due to the wet air?

eprater1

Veteran Member
TDI
I drive about 55-75k per year. the tires will not last more than 16 months tops and i dont even see that happening so the issue of loosing 3 psi over a 4 year span is pointless to me anyhow. i did the nitrogen thing in my f350 tires that have a much larger volume of air and i cant tell any difference. besides when a Michelin engineer tells me its just a scheem and dont waste my money on it, i believe him.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
The topic was trouble with the sensor system, which you rolled you eyes at my comments. That was your welcome to the club, too late now.

<SNIP>
First off, you have my most sincere apologies. Allow me to explain.

I 'rolled my eyes' at your 'facts' not at you personally.

There has been a rise in new members who seem really eager to take personal offense lately, this is very strange, IMO.

I urge you to read the forums and the stickies, there is a lot of good info here, unfortunately none of it supports the use of N2 in tires.

Bill

Last edited: