Mini Bixenons in my New Beetle!

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
FYI: The start-up current is 8A and then it subsides to 3A - that is the spec for both the 3Five and the 5Five ballasts.
It's physically impossible to output 50 watts of power on 3 amps @ 12 volts or even @ 14.5 volts.
It can't be done.

I also doubt that they can achieve the kind of efficiency necessary to get 35 watts @ 3 amps, it's possible, but doubtful, especially using cheap Chinese electronics.

FYI, what claims are made, (by a Chinese manufacturer, no less), are often quite different from reality.

Last edited:

MrMark

TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI
It's physically impossible to output 50 watts of power on 3 amps @ 12 volts or even @ 14.5 volts.
It can't be done.

I also doubt that they can achieve the kind of efficiency necessary to get 35 watts @ 3 amps, it's possible, but doubtful, especially using cheap Chinese electronics.

FYI, what claims are made, (by a Chinese manufacturer, no less), are often quite different from reality.
Yes sir, I learned Ohm's law when I got my Ham Radio license, so I understand the fallacy of those numbers. I understand too that no ballast can be 100 percent efficient, but with that said, I don't know how much power a Philips 85122+ actually uses when connected to a 3Five or 5Five ballast. I'm not sure if my multimeter can survive a test at the lamp itself, but it wouldn't be hard to measure the power consumption at the ballast input. That will be fun to test...I'll report back if you don't find out for yourself before I get my projector setup.;)

I did go ahead and order my new headlight assemblies, so at least I have now actually started!

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
Yes sir, I learned Ohm's law when I got my Ham Radio license, so I understand the fallacy of those numbers. I understand too that no ballast can be 100 percent efficient, but with that said, I don't know how much power a Philips 85122+ actually uses when connected to a 3Five or 5Five ballast. I'm not sure if my multimeter can survive a test at the lamp itself, but it wouldn't be hard to measure the power consumption at the ballast input. That will be fun to test...I'll report back if you don't find out for yourself before I get my projector setup.;)

I did go ahead and order my new headlight assemblies, so at least I have now actually started!
The bulb uses whatever amount of power is supplied by the ballast, or will try to. Remember, it's an arc chamber, not a resistance based filament. :)

Kids, don't try this at home:
Never mess around with anything on the output side of the ballast while it's energized. It's a lethal amount of current. Don't want to see you on an episode of "1,000 ways to die". The idea here is to light up your HIDs, not you! (BTW, your multimeter wouldn't survive, either)

I think you'll be pleased with those headlights, especially for the price.

James

MrMark

TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI
The bulb uses whatever amount of power is supplied by the ballast, or will try to. Remember, it's an arc chamber, not a resistance based filament. :)

Kids, don't try this at home:
Never mess around with anything on the output side of the ballast while it's energized. It's a lethal amount of current. Don't want to see you on an episode of "1,000 ways to die". The idea here is to light up your HIDs, not you! (BTW, your multimeter wouldn't survive, either)

I think you'll be pleased with those headlights, especially for the price.

James
I hear ya...definitely not a job for the novice. I'm not a novice in that regard, but that information wouldn't really be all that useful anyway! All I really care about is the load it puts or the vehicle's electrical system.

Awesome on your servo control progress, by the way...have you figured out how you will control the finished product? Any more thoughts on auto-leveling?

MrMark

TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI
I just had another thought...I wonder what the best way to handle the Daytime Running Lights would be...(?) Just let it be the HIDs in the same fashion that it currently is with the halogen projectors, or something else? Any thoughts?

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
Awesome on your servo control progress, by the way...have you figured out how you will control the finished product? Any more thoughts on auto-leveling?
Analog for now. Digital will be better for auto-leveling, which will take a little while...

Last edited:

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
I just had another thought...I wonder what the best way to handle the Daytime Running Lights would be...(?)
I disabled my DRLs when I went to HIDs. Some ballasts can compensate for the lower voltage of the DRLs, others can be damaged by it.

Personally, I don't want the extra time on my bulbs or ballasts, as they have a limited lifespan. If I think conditions warrant lights, I just turn them on.

MrMark

TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI
I disabled my DRLs when I went to HIDs. Some ballasts can compensate for the lower voltage of the DRLs, others can be damaged by it.

Personally, I don't want the extra time on my bulbs or ballasts, as they have a limited lifespan. If I think conditions warrant lights, I just turn them on.
I don't think my car reduces the voltage to the headlights in the DTR mode...I think it just turns off the tail lights and running lights. If that's true, I guess it wouldn't hurt anything to just let them run, other than the extra run time. On the other hand, the DOT did a study back in 2008 that seems to indicate that DTR don't actually help prevent crashes...(?)

How did you disable yours?

MrMark

TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI
Bent the TFL pin on the headlight switch. You can search and find tons of threads w/ pics on this.

James
Okay, now that you mention it, I remember reading about that a while back but forgot all about it until you mentioned it. Thanks very much.

I was searching around on eBay and noticed that there are some Euro headlight switches on there in the $15 range...not sure if they have a manual DTR function or not though...the seller appears to be offshore and doesn't include much info on the switch.

On the subject of switchgear, if you don't mind me asking, what does your manual servo control look like? Did you find a way to mount it in the dash in a way that looks like OE?

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
On the subject of switchgear, if you don't mind me asking, what does your manual servo control look like? Did you find a way to mount it in the dash in a way that looks like OE?
Small black box right now with a knob and power switch. Plan on integrating it with the OEM combo switch that replaces the standard dash light rheostat - electronics will be mounted under the dash.

Going digital will allow for virtually endless control possibilities.

James

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
Critter Cam for HPC

I was out testing camera settings last night, trying to find a setting that's capable of representing the performance of these HIDs.

The camera just can't pick up the true width of the beam. What I can readily see, the camera can't.

An example is this short youtube clip:
http://www.youtube.com/user/schwarzeKafer?feature=mhee#p/u/0/PrCq94k7u5I

I easily saw the deer off to the side of the road, but the camera didn't pick them up.

James

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
James, what riostat did you use for the leveling motors? What part number?
Found some OEM HIDs for the bug priced reasonably and probably need this or is there another method to aim these without that?

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
James, what riostat did you use for the leveling motors? What part number?
Found some OEM HIDs for the bug priced reasonably and probably need this or is there another method to aim these without that?
Right now I'm using my own, but I'm planning on integrating the OEM headlight range switch with my electronics, to keep it stock looking.

I'm not sure, but you may need an OEM HID wiring harness.

Here's the OEM combo switch: (available through ECSTuning)

VW Part # 1J0941333A ECS Part # ES#1065500

Last edited:

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, found it but they show 1J0941333A as part number. Going to need the plug for that switch too. The kit I found is complete retro fit for the 99-2005 bug including harnesses ballasts and the like and is made by automotive lighting, the OEM supplier.

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
Ok, found it but they show 1J0941333A as part number. Going to need the plug for that switch too. The kit I found is complete retro fit for the 99-2005 bug including harnesses ballasts and the like and is made by automotive lighting, the OEM supplier.
Opps, typo it is 1J0941333A, not S....

If you go with those lights, be sure and take pics & post about it! I'd enjoy seeing that setup & process.

James

Last edited:

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
The big thing for me is figuring out how to do the leveling. Euro spec cars had manual leveling. US spec had auto with car level sensors and the whole bit. Quite complicated.
Be nice if there were a way to just set them manually like the halogens and forget it.
That part is a euro spec part too.

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
The big thing for me is figuring out how to do the leveling. Euro spec cars had manual leveling. US spec had auto with car level sensors and the whole bit. Quite complicated.
Be nice if there were a way to just set them manually like the halogens and forget it.
That part is a euro spec part too.
I didn't know they had auto leveling, thought they only had the manually operated motors. That may get way complicated, and expensive.

Alot of leveling sensors are $150+ each, and most cars use 2 of 'em.
(I have no clue about VWs ...)

James

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
Well the lights are motor controlled. That can either be done manually like the European version with a rheostat or automatically for us dumb americans. The headlight part should be the same for US and Euro with respect to leveling motor, at least I hope so. In any case, I'll make it work and let you know.

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
Well the lights are motor controlled. That can either be done manually like the European version with a rheostat or automatically for us dumb americans. The headlight part should be the same for US and Euro with respect to leveling motor, at least I hope so. In any case, I'll make it work and let you know.
Yeah, I'd bet the mechanics of the headlights are the same. By all means, please post everything about them!

The deer overpopulation problem had me reluctant to travel at night until I retro'd my first HIDs. Now when I travel at night, I usually have a string of vehicles in tow. :)

James

MrMark

TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI
Right now I'm using my own, but I'm planning on integrating the OEM headlight range switch with my electronics, to keep it stock looking.

I'm not sure, but you may need an OEM HID wiring harness.

Here's the OEM combo switch: (available through ECSTuning)

VW Part # 1J0941333A ECS Part # ES#1065500
Hey, I really like that switch...how are you thinking of integrating that with your servos? Would you keep the servo tester and try to replace the pot on the tester with the one in the OEM switch, or what?

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
Hey, I really like that switch...how are you thinking of integrating that with your servos? Would you keep the servo tester and try to replace the pot on the tester with the one in the OEM switch, or what?
Basically, you're right on the money! I may use my own circuit, but it will be very similar to the servo tester's.

James

Last edited:

MrMark

TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI
Basically, you're right on the money! I may use my own circuit, buy it will be very similar to the servo tester's.

James
Hmmm...I starting to see how this is going to go...having just started, I'm already getting the bug to add level control...and I do like the idea of maintaining a factory-like appearance. I wonder if the the pot values are similar...I guess I would have to buy both a switch and a servo tester to find out!

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
Hmmm...I starting to see how this is going to go...having just started, I'm already getting the bug to add level control...and I do like the idea of maintaining a factory-like appearance. I wonder if the the pot values are similar...I guess I would have to buy both a switch and a servo tester to find out!
Ha-ha. Just wait, it only gets worse - seems habit forming. :D

I don't know about it resistance as I haven't bought the OEM switch, may have to work around it. It would make for a really clean install.
I'm close to being ready to give it a try. Probably as soon as they get more of 'em in stock.

James

MrMark

TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI
Ha-ha. Just wait, it only gets worse - seems habit forming. :D

I don't know about it resistance as I haven't bought the OEM switch, may have to work around it. It would make for a really clean install.
I'm close to being ready to give it a try. Probably as soon as they get more of 'em in stock.

James
Oh - they don't actually HAVE them...I see...well, I am almost as quickly disappointed as I was enthusiastic...maybe I could pre-order them...I better go see how much those cost...ACKKK! They're 40 bucks!

Maybe I better concentrate on getting the lights working first...you didn't happen to check for clearance on those 5Five ballasts...did you?

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, I'd bet the mechanics of the headlights are the same. By all means, please post everything about them!

The deer overpopulation problem had me reluctant to travel at night until I retro'd my first HIDs. Now when I travel at night, I usually have a string of vehicles in tow. :)

James
Its the deer for the reason I am going with these so I can see what is about to run into me haha.
I'll keep you all posted on what I find with this kit. I do know that these are 35W so far.

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
Oh - they don't actually HAVE them...I see...well, I am almost as quickly disappointed as I was enthusiastic...maybe I could pre-order them...I better go see how much those cost...ACKKK! They're 40 bucks!

Maybe I better concentrate on getting the lights working first...you didn't happen to check for clearance on those 5Five ballasts...did you?
No, I put it off till today, but it was raining today... I should get to it sometime this weekend.

Yep, kinda proud of that little switch, aren't they?

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
Its the deer for the reason I am going with these so I can see what is about to run into me haha.
I'll keep you all posted on what I find with this kit. I do know that these are 35W so far.
Yeah, all the OEM stuff I've ever seen is 35W, but it is still alot of light.

I think this country is getting overrun with deer. They're everywhere around here.