Wipers blowing fuse

WAKeele

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I mentioned this in another longwinded post from a debacle, but since I haven't got any answers, I thought I'd isolate it here.

I replaced the wiper linkage since it froze up a while back. Now it works, but blows the 20 amp #24 fuse when I switch it to high. It appears to be a little sluggish and/or labored compared to what I recall before it froze up on me. I changed the fuse after it blew on my first test and it blew it again when I tried it on high a little later--it was even audible when it blew (browned the plastic on the inside of the fuse on the second one). It doesn't blow when I spray windshield fluid either. It also didn't blow when I would cycle it to high when it first froze up. It would just try to move for a few seconds and stop (just moving the arms a couple millimeters from it halfway through position on the windshield).

Thanks!

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
I mentioned this in another longwinded post from a debacle, but since I haven't got any answers, I thought I'd isolate it here.

I replaced the wiper linkage since it froze up a while back. Now it works, but blows the 20 amp #24 fuse when I switch it to high. It appears to be a little sluggish and/or labored compared to what I recall before it froze up on me. I changed the fuse after it blew on my first test and it blew it again when I tried it on high a little later--it was even audible when it blew (browned the plastic on the inside of the fuse on the second one). It doesn't blow when I spray windshield fluid either. It also didn't blow when I would cycle it to high when it first froze up. It would just try to move for a few seconds and stop (just moving the arms a couple millimeters from it halfway through position on the windshield).

Thanks!
Most likely your wiper motor is the problem.
Worn brushes / armature

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
I hope not. I bought a new one from IDParts.
Yea I hope not too then.

I do have a motor for sale that hasn' tmade it to Ebay yet. From a car I bought to get the VR6. Worked fine on a dry windshield when I tested it before removel but it wan't my DD.

Golfrunner

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI
Can you determine the draw on the motor when in the high position. If you've replaced the linkage and it's still blowing a fuse then it's probably just drawing to much amperage.

My Golf blows a fuse when I start it in an iced up position in the morning...when I forget to "park" it. Just to much draw. I carry a few fuses for just this reason.

New brushes in the motor as mentioned may remedy...or check the motor bushings for corrosion and resulting resistance.

WAKeele

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Yea I hope not too then.

I do have a motor for sale that hasn' tmade it to Ebay yet. From a car I bought to get the VR6. Worked fine on a dry windshield when I tested it before removel but it wan't my DD.
Tempting, but I think I'll just buy a new one so I hopefully not have to worry about it for another 244,000 miles. My luck it will only last six months and will go out in a rain/snow storm. I can get a new one for $95, so even if you want less than $50, I just as well go new.

Can you determine the draw on the motor when in the high position. If you've replaced the linkage and it's still blowing a fuse then it's probably just drawing to much amperage.

My Golf blows a fuse when I start it in an iced up position in the morning...when I forget to "park" it. Just to much draw. I carry a few fuses for just this reason.

New brushes in the motor as mentioned may remedy...or check the motor bushings for corrosion and resulting resistance.
Good question. I only have a few seconds before it blows too. The old one slowed down to the point there was no difference in speed for a couple weeks (it had been sluggish for months prior to that), then it just froze halfway through the cycle one day this summer (from September to until two days ago, it was in a shop in pieces). Even stuck, it would try for several seconds and then stop at any setting. I tried it on several different occasion multiple times and it never blew a fuse. It was in the shop when it blew the fuses too, so it wasn't below 50F then (I'm in Tennessee at the moment mind you). With the motor being stock (244,335 miles), living in Connecticut (before I bought it) and Montana mostly, and the final days of abuse from a locking up linkage, do you think the motor just doesn't have enough life in her to to run on high?

You know, I just now seem to recall it blew a fuse the last time I messed with it before it went into the shop for all the other stuff I did. I think it happen when it cycled it to high speed. I might have fowled something after all.

Golfrunner

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI
Yeah...if it's not the resistance in the linkage...and not a short of some kind...I think you're looking at a tired motor.

One thing I've started doing after hearing of bad linkages on these cars - is to spray lubricant from a can (white lithium grease usually) into the area of the linkage joints. It's a real shotgun approach with much overspray - but as my car is in her middle age? period (220k) - I've been getting more and more creative in keeping her working without a lot of hoopla. Same thing goes for me.

WAKeele

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
So I of course order the wrong motor, so while I'd had it out and cleaned it as thoroughly as I could. It didn't really seem to help much overall and still would blow a fuse on the high setting. Put in the right motor in yesterday and it runs easily and smooth, and no blown fuses thus far. Looks like it was a motor on its last leg.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
So I of course order the wrong motor, so while I'd had it out and cleaned it as thoroughly as I could. It didn't really seem to help much overall and still would blow a fuse on the high setting. Put in the right motor in yesterday and it runs easily and smooth, and no blown fuses thus far. Looks like it was a motor on its last leg.
I'm glad to hear it all worked out.