TDI is gone and it's time to move on

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
Please provide some proof of this claim. And no, a couple posts on this message board does not constitute proof. TDIClub members with a 2009+ TDI isn't even a single-digit percentage of total TDI sales in North America.

It sounds like you're talking out of your ass to make yourself feel better about your decision. But I'm more than willing to be proven wrong.
Each week here alone we're adding implosions.

Besides I feel great about my decision to trade in my time bomb and sleeping like a baby.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
What's the details on your Mustang? I'm sure we can scour the internet and find some ticking time bomb in those that is probably really expensive--I mean it's a Mustang. Point being, as the saying goes, "drive more and worry less." :D
I would doubt it - it's the same car they've been building since 1964 - one would think they've gotten it right over the last 47 years.
You must be kidding.:eek::eek::eek: Just because the name of a product has remained for a period of time, it is not the same car and it is not proof that it is "right". By your logic: Ford's F series truck pre-dates the the Mustang line. So, that must mean the F series is even more "right" than the Mustang. So, please explain the problems with the 6.0 motor. :confused:

Just keep drinking that Kool Aid. Since it well pre-dates your Mustang, it must be perfect and good for you. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
I feel for you OP, but as other have stated I think it's a bit ridiculous. Not a lot of good can come from excessive paranoia causing us to make large changes. You're probably just isolated to your TDI but a little poke with the logic and we can apply the same paranoia and thinking to everything in our lives, sending us all to the grave ironically early.

What's the details on your Mustang? I'm sure we can scour the internet and find some ticking time bomb in those that is probably really expensive--I mean it's a Mustang. Point being, as the saying goes, "drive more and worry less."

And as a side note...I've enjoyed my dealer so far. The service manager has been nice, respectable, and they've worked with me on a few issues. I've gotten my empty oil jugs for them so I can at least verify they're putting the right oil in. It's a bit ironic when people claim the dealership's supposed trained technicians are always moronic and they instead go to local gurus working out of their back garage. Not to say I haven't used those gurus for other vehicles and in the time past...but blanketing all the dealerships as bad is a very disingenuous service to new and worried readers.

And...I still get excited when I see a Mustang, man I want one! :D
It's a 2003 Mustang GT vert 5 speed with almost 97,000 miles on her and 75,000 was within the first 4 years. Biggest problem since new....the trans was a little notchy from 1-2. Ford placed the trans under warranty.

Stang looks great (Torch Red), still drives great and I'm on the original brakes.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Each week here alone we're adding implosions.

Besides I feel great about my decision to trade in my time bomb and sleeping like a baby.
So in other words, you are talking out of your ass have have no real data to prove your claim.

Got it.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Overblown folks until some production numbers and problem numbers show up. People come to forums when they have a problem and need help....rarely do they come here to say....oh I have owned a 2009 CR TDI, have 50k on it, and have never had an issue.

My sister's bf is a perfect case of this. He has a 2009 CR Jetta and has never had a problem with it other than an annoying clicking sound in the dash in 50k miles.

He has no reason to come on TDIclub because he has other things to do. Bottom line is the number of people showing up here may seem alarmingly high, but things must be put into perspective before we all start screaming that the sky is falling.

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
People come to forums when they have a problem and need help....rarely do they come here to say....oh I have owned a 2009 CR TDI, have 50k on it, and have never had an issue.

Exactly. TDIClub is not a representative sample of the entire TDI population.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Sorry, but you have NO proof to DISPROVE his claim! Only VW does and I bet if you ask they wont share it with you. I guess its all just speculation at this point.
That's not how it works. He made the claim, and he failed to support it.

Therefore, we can assume that the failure rate is still at the estimated 2% which is only ~1200 cars a year assuming VW still sells ~60,000 TDIs a year (as they did in 2010). 1200 cars is nothing, that's one manufacturing shifts worth of production.

Furthermore, TDIClub is a horrible representation of the truth. Anyone who has a HPFP problem is going to Google it in this day-and-age. Guess what? TDIClub will be one of the first results, so they'll most likely make an account and post about it here seeking help. Comparatively, I highly doubt many people are making accounts here and posting about how much they love their TDI.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Exactly. TDIClub is not a representative sample of the entire TDI population.
For the sake of argument, I'm going to be very generous and assume that all 11,000 posts in the A5 subforum are each made by an individual owner. Considering over 120,000 A5 TDIs have been sold, that's only 9.1% of the total A5 TDI population.

Now, there are 145 threads created regarding HPFP problems. Again, lets assume that each thread is an individual person with a faulty HPFP. That's only 1.3% of the TDIClub owners and 0.13% of the TDI population as a whole.

Hell, we can get REALLY crazy and try to assume that every single time the term "HPFP" has been mentioned on this board that it refers to a unique owner on this board with a faulty HPFP. That would be 2500 owners which is still only 2.08% of the ~120,000 A5 TDIs in the USA.

Even with those absurdly crazy generous statistics, there really isn't a problem.

For the record, my numbers all came from running a search on this board and tallying the results. Sales info came from DSRs posted on AutoBlog.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Therefore, we can assume that the failure rate is still at the estimated 2% which is only ~1200 cars a year assuming VW still sells ~60,000 TDIs a year (as they did in 2010). 1200 cars is nothing, that's one manufacturing shifts worth of production.
Furthermore, TDIClub is a horrible representation of the truth. Anyone who has a HPFP problem is going to Google it in this day-and-age. Guess what? TDIClub will be one of the first results, so they'll most likely make an account and post about it here seeking help. Comparatively, I highly doubt many people are making accounts here and posting about how much they love their TDI.

LOL, really??? You have no proof to not support it! Like I said the only people that do is VW! NHTSA has started the process of investigation. That may take several years to complete. I dont feel they will expedite the investigation until someone dies from a failure.

I believe the truth is somewhere in the middle. I feel as though many people don't know what a high pressure fuel pump is and don't care. The people that don't have to fight tooth and nail for warranty will probably never know or care to know. If it weren't for people like Dweisel that stand up for themselves and won't let big business rule their world then anyone that had or will have had this problem would be screw into paying for it out of pocket.

If your so confident, then disprove the claim. Put up or shut up! Your the one denying it, not me. Again it's all speculation until proof is given. And the only real answer can come from vw themselves.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Geez, guys...give it a rest.

The "sky is falling" crowd are absolutely correct, that the HPFP failure, at ANY TIME, at any mileage, shouldn't take out $8k worth of engine parts. The fuel system is a terribly negligent design, regardless of its robustness, or its ability to handle questionable fuel. Fuel pump failure, in itself, isn't the problem. It's the fact that it takes out the entire fuel system. VWoA should be paying for ALL replacements, period.

The "head in the sand" crowd are correct that, percentage-wise, HPFP failure rates give the ILLUSION of being a minor problem. So, many of us continue to drive an exceptionally well-built vehicle, with all the positive attributes that are discussed on all the other threads.

To continue arguing this is pointless, especially with the nastiness thrown in. It sounds more and more like a...like a...political "debate." We're getting nowhere with this "discussion", except to create an increasingly negative climate that will completely turn away anyone that visits this site...and that will ultimately lower the value of our cars.

Do we really need to bring in Donald Trump to mediate this discussion? I think not. We're better than that.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Geez, guys...give it a rest.

The "sky is falling" crowd are absolutely correct, that the HPFP failure, at ANY TIME, at any mileage, shouldn't take out $8k worth of engine parts. The fuel system is a terribly negligent design, regardless of its robustness, or its ability to handle questionable fuel. Fuel pump failure, in itself, isn't the problem. It's the fact that it takes out the entire fuel system. VWoA should be paying for ALL replacements, period.

The "head in the sand" crowd are correct that, percentage-wise, HPFP failure rates give the ILLUSION of being a minor problem. So, many of us continue to drive an exceptionally well-built vehicle, with all the positive attributes that are discussed on all the other threads.

To continue arguing this is pointless, especially with the nastiness thrown in. It sounds more and more like a...like a...political "debate." We're getting nowhere with this "discussion", except to create an increasingly negative climate that will completely turn away anyone that visits this site...and that will ultimately lower the value of our cars.

Do we really need to bring in Donald Trump to mediate this discussion? I think not. We're better than that.
Like I said, SPECULATION.......

Maybe we should just put this thread to rest. I can agree to disagree.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
with all due respect to all here:

It is pure speculation WHEN any HPFP will fail.

It is a fact that, when it fails, it will destroy $7-10k worth of fuel system, hence the "time bomb" analogy.

It isn't the failure of the HPFP, or the failure rate, it is the lack of containment that is the issue.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
with all due respect to all here:

It is pure speculation WHEN any HPFP will fail.

It is a fact that, when it fails, it will destroy $7-10k worth of fuel system, hence the "time bomb" analogy.

It isn't the failure of the HPFP, or the failure rate, it is the lack of containment that is the issue.
Lack of what contaminant? Thats speculation again! Vw started out saying its contamination. But couldn't prove it, and in many cases haven't proved it. They relied on Dweisel to have people force them to prove it! Enough said.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
yo...D-Cell...the word was containment, not contaminant...but thanks for hi-lighting what I believe is the real issue.

curovo

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW DSG, mostly sitting and waiting for the Dieslgate settlement - 2015 GSW S Manual
Lack of what contaminant? Thats speculation again! Vw started out saying its contamination. But couldn't prove it, and in many cases haven't proved it. They relied on Dweisel to have people force them to prove it! Enough said.
containment, not contaminant

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta 03 Golf 2 door

1200 cars may very well be nothing to you, but, if it is YOUR car that experiences the failure, well then, that's another story altogether. It is the promise of a bullet proof motor that brought most of us old timers to the TDI, this is NOT a good development on that front. It is unacceptable for a failure to total a car with over 100K on the clock. And an 8K repair would indeed total the car somewhere north of 100K. It will be erie in the not so distant future to see complete undamaged VW's in the junk yards as their motors have imploded. Sad, but, it will be reality soon enough. Good for the rest of you as parts will be plentiful!

tdisky

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (hers)
If I can just chime in here...

I was recently a charter member of the "don't worry, drive happy" crowd, and told everyone who would listen. Then my HPFP failed on the New York State Thruway, so now my failure rate is 100%. I don't care if the overall failure rate is 0.01% or 10% - it happened, and took out $7k worth of parts, not including the labor.

As has been hashed over many times, if this was just a problematic part that failed unexpectedly for say $1k a pop, I'd still be a member of the DWDH crowd. At $7k, it's a whole different story.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
I was recently a charter member of the "don't worry, drive happy" crowd, and told everyone who would listen. Then my HPFP failed on the New York State Thruway, so now my failure rate is 100%. I don't care if the overall failure rate is 0.01% or 10% - it happened, and took out $7k worth of parts, not including the labor.

As has been hashed over many times, if this was just a problematic part that failed unexpectedly for say $1k a pop, I'd still be a member of the DWDH crowd. At $7k, it's a whole different story.
Did you pay for it out of pocket or did your warranty cover it? If the latter, it's still DWDH as you were taken care of.

I'm honestly ready to leave TDIClub and join VWVortex at this point. This whole message board has become nothing but doomsayers. Perhaps it's ignorance, or me just sticking my head in the sand. But I love my TDI and wouldn't trade it for the world.

Well, except maybe the new Beetle TDI or Cruze TDI :p.

Last edited:

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
1200 cars may very well be nothing to you, but, if it is YOUR car that experiences the failure, well then, that's another story altogether.
Every American over the age of 20 has a 2% chance of having a stroke just like every TDI has a 2% chance of blowing an HPFP.

Do you go around worrying about having a stroke every day?

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
Did you pay for it out of pocket or did your warranty cover it? If the latter, it's still DWDH as you were taken care of.

I'm honestly ready to leave TDIClub and join VWVortex at this point. This whole message board has become nothing but doomsayers. Perhaps it's ignorance, or me just sticking my head in the sand. But I love my TDI and wouldn't trade it for the world.

I thought about waiting for the Diesel Cruze, but at a price prob closer to 4 thousand more than I paid for my Cruze, didn't think it was worth it.

tdisky

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (hers)

It was covered under warranty; it had 55k on it. What happens after 60K? I haven't heard any official word on warranty extensions.

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
It was covered under warranty; it had 55k on it. What happens after 60K? I haven't heard any official word on warranty extensions.
Big part of my decison not to see what would have happened after 60k.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Okay...okay...we get it...now, would you kindly...like...I mean...y'know...seriously...like whatever...just...go away and become a lurker?:D

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
Okay...okay...we get it...now, would you kindly...like...I mean...y'know...seriously...like whatever...just...go away and become a lurker?:D
Ok,but I'll be back once I get my Cruze for a comparison which should be sometime in Feb-March.

Have a Merry Christmas.

armylifer

TDI
2009 Jetta
MPBsr, you started this thread. It is not you that should go away. If the people on this board do not want your thoughts to be read then they should just stop posting to your thread. It will fall out of sight when it is no longer interesting.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Of COURSE you'll be back...you can't resist all the humor, insults, technical jargon, fear-mongering, etc. etc.

Good luck with the Cruze. I saw him on Top Gear. He seems like a very likeable guy.

Seriously, do visit from time to time. I'll be counting the days...

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
MPBsr, you started this thread. It is not you that should go away. If the people on this board do not want your thoughts to be read then they should just stop posting to your thread. It will fall out of sight when it is no longer interesting.
Thanks. I'll ignore the others who insult those regarding their comments.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TDIatlast and I have cleared the air.

All is well with the world again, except...LOL

Last edited:

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
You must be kidding.:eek::eek::eek: ...................

Just keep drinking that Kool Aid. Since it well pre-dates your Mustang, it must be perfect and good for you. :rolleyes:
LMAO - yeah, right. An evolution there Forrest. 1969 - unibody rear wheel drive fixed axle w/ available small block up front. 2012 - unibody rear wheel drive fixed axle w/ available small block up front.

Note #2

ev·o·lu·tion /ˌevəˈlo͞oSHən/

Noun:
  • The process by which different kinds of living organisms are thought to have developed and diversified from earlier forms during the...
  • The gradual development of something, esp. from a simple to a more complex form.