TDI is gone and it's time to move on

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
This has been a long and winding road from the beginning.

Upon getting my 09 TDI in June of 2009, I always felt sort of special owning a Diesel Jetta. I even told a number of people that I’ll never buy another gasser commuter car again.

Getting 40mpg was real cool and the Jetta was very fun to drive. I even drove the Jetta more than my Mustang GT vert 5 speed.

Doing a lot of reading here for 2.5 years with some turbo issues but more importantly the infamous HPFP implosions and my confidence with VW was weakened. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, no single repair should cost between $8,000-$10,000; especially when it’s not our fault. Living in one of the 2 States in the country where you’re not allowed to pump your own fuel (yes, I know you can pump diesel), I always kept my eye on the gas attendant to see which nozzle he pulls. Just to make sure it’s diesel. I even have kept my diesel receipts for the last 10 months, just in case and mark down the current mileage.

I still feel that my TDI is a great car and I had planned to keep it for 10 years. So that’s where the potential problem come in to play. Currently at 42,600 miles and with the 5 year/60,000 miles if the HPFP fails I should be covered by VW. But when I have owned the car say for 8 years and “if” the HPFP implodes I’ll have about 160,000 miles on her and no way is VW going to over the cost of the repair. At that time the TDI is good for parts or pretty much a throw away car.

With Diesel prices jumping from 30-40 cents a gallon difference from regular gas in 2009 to 70-76 cents a gallon difference in 2011. It’s time to say that’s it.

Yes the TDI is a great car, but I am a little paranoid and feel it’s only a matter of time.

So, with that in mind the Jetta has been traded in for a 2012 Chevy Cruze 2LT 6 speed. I did take a Cruze out for drive with an automatic and did my normal commute to work and averaged 35mpg. Maybe I’ll get 1-2 more with the manual. The Cruze drove just as well as the Jetta and to me looks more sporty than the Jetta. Last Chevy I owned was a 1969 Camaro. Sure wish I had that car today.

Since I had to order the Cruze the way I wanted it, the dealer wanted a pre-trade on the Jetta since it's going to be 8-12 weeks as they say. Lucky for me I have my Mustang to drive to work and have my wife’s car if/when it snows. I also felt that if I didn’t trade it in immediately, what would happen to the deal if something happened to the Jetta before I handed it over.

Who knows what’s going to happen with gas/fuel prices in the future and even with my old Jetta and new Cruze. But at least I know now that my HPFP worries are finally over I wouldn’t be surprised if the dealer fills the Jetta up with gas as we know it’s been done before.

Maybe once a year I’ll do a carfax on my Jetta to see how it’s doing.

One of my last drives today with the Jetta scared the hell out of me. I was starting to enter a circle (yes we still have them), hit the pedal and the Jetta bogged down for a second while a truck was right behind me. I was looking at the dash for lights going on, but nothing. So who knows what happened.

I did join a Cruze forum and also see that they’re not without some issues or quirks. But it seems that most of them are with the 2011 Cruze’s. Hopefully the bugs have been worked out for the 2012’s.

I’ll still hang around here to see what’s going on and once I get my Cruze will do an update after driving it around for about a month.

I would like to thank everyone here for the last 2.5 years and wish you the best with your TDI’s.

Last edited:

bombero

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
At least you still have a Mustang!:) Good luck with the car. I may get one myself, when the Cruz diesel comes out. Of course, it won't be until it's been out for a while and proven, because so far my '06 has been awesome and should still be going strong for a long time.

Last edited:

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
At least you still have a Mustang!:) Good luck with the car. I may get one myself, when the Cruz diesel comes out.
I was thinking of waiting for the diesel cruze, but at a cost of a few grand more, prob not worth the difference.

If by chance anyone here is a member of USAA, you can get a 2012 for an unbelieveable price as they have a $750 rebate on the cruze.

CMB430

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Hello. I said much the same thing as you did. I just came back here to search for my VIN and see if someone bought it and joined here. No luck :(. I would like to know how it is treating the new owner. I hope well. Good luck with the Cruze. I just turned 17,000 miles today on my Frontier. It has towed (5,800 lbs) like it was nothing on the highway. I really like the truck. The only three things I miss about the Jetta are the low end torque, the ability to park just about anywhere and the mileage. I average 19 MPG in my Frontier. But I have gone off-roading a few times which I really missed doing.

Again, good luck!

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Finally pulled the trigger, eh?

Rod Bearing

Veteran Member
TDI
Several
Paranoia will destroy ya. We all might get sick from a doctor visit. We might get hit by space junk. We might be robbed. On and on. The level of idiocy behind threads like this one never ceases to amaze me. Maybe he hopes his thread will scare everyone over to whatever dealership it may be that he works for.

I own 6 VW TDI's, and I feel better about the decision to buy them every time I figure out my average cost per mile for the whole fleet.

A new TDI Passat is in the cards next....

Oh BTW, the 2012 Cruze Eco, with the turbocharged 1.4 and 6 spd.....is direct injected and has an HPFP.

OOPS!!

Last edited:

armylifer

TDI
2009 Jetta
I also have a 2009 Jetta TDI that I want to sell. Mine has just under 50,000 miles on it and is due for another service pretty soon. I am getting tired of the high cost of servicing the Jetta. The dealers gouge me every time I come in. An oil change is almost $100.00. Even at the Chevrolet dealer I can get 3 oil changes in my truck for that same $100.00. After the holidays I plan to put my Jetta up for sale.

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
Wow. I was just looking at the VW mag I got in the mail. Anyone else think the Beetle looks cool. Man with a TDI. That has tempting written all over it.

Yes, I'm trying to change the course of this thread.

armylifer

TDI
2009 Jetta
Wow. I was just looking at the VW mag I got in the mail. Anyone else think the Beetle looks cool. Man with a TDI. That has tempting written all over it.

Yes, I'm trying to change the course of this thread.
Why would you want to hijack the OPs thread? If you don't agree, just pass, it is not polite to hijack a thread.

Last edited:

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
LOL. Insane post. People around there also die from cancer. Why not to suicide yourself and save the time and passion then? OP, get a PD.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
At least with cancer, it's not a sudden demise. ;)

Marc_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
It makes complete sense to bail on a 1% thing because people start getting worried after reading all these HPFP failure scare stories....it's getting ridiculous.

At 50K why on earth would someone take their VW to a Dealership for servicing?
I would think you would have learned by now they are rippoffs - that's 5 10K checkups.
Find a Guru or good European car shop for goodness sake!

Now...where's my tinfoil hat.

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
So let me get thris straight............you think Fail Motors is the answer to longevity?

Good luck with that.

..........With Diesel prices jumping from 30-40 cents a gallon difference from regular gas in 2009 to 70-76 cents a gallon difference in 2011. It’s time to say that’s it................
Certainly understand that.................though my personal fuel consumption isn't the issue, the issue for me is everything I buy is affected by the higher cost of diesel. Certainly impacts my pocketbook far more than what I'd save switching to a gasser.

Last edited:

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
Paranoia will destroy ya. We all might get sick from a doctor visit. We might get hit by space junk. We might be robbed. On and on. The level of idiocy behind threads like this one never ceases to amaze me. Maybe he hopes his thread will scare everyone over to whatever dealership it may be that he works for.

I own 6 VW TDI's, and I feel better about the decision to buy them every time I figure out my average cost per mile for the whole fleet.

Oh BTW, the 2012 Cruze Eco, with the turbocharged 1.4 and 6 spd.....is direct injected and has an HPFP.

OOPS!!
It's not idiocy, it's risk minimization. So since the risk of getting rob is so small, when you get money out of the ATM, you flash it around for everyone to see. When you go to the Dr. you rub your hands on everything and go out and eat lunch without washing your hands.

Do you lock your car? Why, you must be a paranoid freak, after all the chance is so small. Lock your house? Why? Just because you are comfortable with the risk of owning the Jetta doesn't mean other people find that risk acceptable. Doesn't make the OP an idiot or paranoid.

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in

OOPS!!
A few comments

1) I don't work in the car industry including any type of car dealership
2) While space junk, dr's visit's and getting rob are not directly within my control, I can control my future with the VW HPFP and I did.
3) VW is doing a great jobs themselves with scaring people away.
4) Not sure if the Cruze has a HPFP, but if it does at least it's not based upon diesel that doesn't have the proper spec's for the US.

As far as the "level of idiocy" of this thread, the failures of the Bosch HPFP are increases every week.

There are a number of members here like me who felt the percentage of increases of HPFP are going up and including one member who's had 2 HPFP failures.

Time will tell the future of the Bosch HPFP failure rate in the USA, but if I was a betting man, I'd wouldn't vote for Bosch/VW coming out smelling like a bed of roses.

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta 03 Golf 2 door
I have been around her a lot longer than the naysayers. I completely understand what you are saying. Got my first A-3 and B-4, because they lasted, well, forever. Stuff would break around the motor, but, the motor was robust. The A-4's were almost as good, my beloved 03 Golf two door (sadly sold) and my 03 Jetta are almost as robust. 05 Jetta getting a little bumpy with the cams, but, managable. 06 is just a wonderful car, even if all goes bad with the cams it is maybe 1300 in parts to fix? And most problems give warning and can be fixed proactively. Stay current with the timing belt and you are pretty much golden.

However, with the HPFP, who knows when it will self destruct? I want a new one, but, will not buy a ticking time bomb. I am hoping that BMW brings a one series with a 6 speed manual, that would make my day.

To those in denial as to a problem, I suspect I would be as well! Otherwise, I would not be able to sleep at night. Lets just say I know the feeling from G60 Corrado ownership...

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!

OOPS!!
There is no use being critical of someone who sells or trades their CR tdi. Its based on perception and everyone's perception is different. Your perception is that there is not a problem and thats fine. Your sitiuation is also different than a lot of members here in that you own a diesel shop and are a diesel mechanic. Everyone has to make choices in life. Your choice isn't necessarily the best choice for them. Hell,people get rid of cars just because they want a different color. No use trying to make someone that chooses to sell their tdi look bad.

I traded both our 09 tdi's after hpfp failures,which I felt was a prudent choice. Would I rather be driving a tdi...................you bet I would. Can I? Not with the present fuel system.

armylifer

TDI
2009 Jetta
At 50K why on earth would someone take their VW to a Dealership for servicing?
I would think you would have learned by now they are rippoffs - that's 5 10K checkups.
Find a Guru or good European car shop for goodness sake!

Now...where's my tinfoil hat.
The reason that I choose to take my car to a dealership for service is because I am not able to do the work myself and I want someone that is factory trained to do the work, not some "guru" that has no visible proof of training. I get my service done at the same dealership where I bought the car from because although they are high priced the service department is reliable and reputable. I do not have to wonder if the service was done correctly or if someone that does not have training has messed with my car.

Now, look in the mirror for that tinfoil hat... you're wearing it.

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
There is no use being critical of someone who sells or trades their CR tdi. Its based on perception and everyone's perception is different. Your perception is that there is not a problem and thats fine. Your sitiuation is also different than a lot of members here in that you own a diesel shop and are a diesel mechanic. Everyone has to make choices in life. Your choice isn't necessarily the best choice for them. Hell,people get rid of cars just because they want a different color. No use trying to make someone that chooses to sell their tdi look bad.

I traded both our 09 tdi's after hpfp failures,which I felt was a prudent choice. Would I rather be driving a tdi...................you bet I would. Can I? Not with the present fuel system.
Thanks dweisel. Hell, if I owned a diesel shop I'd keep the TDI for ever.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
The reason that I choose to take my car to a dealership for service is ... ... I do not have to wonder if the service was done correctly or if someone that does not have training has messed with my car.
In only that were always true!

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW
vw dealer service

The reason that I choose to take my car to a dealership for service is because I am not able to do the work myself and I want someone that is factory trained to do the work, not some "guru" that has no visible proof of training. I get my service done at the same dealership where I bought the car from because although they are high priced the service department is reliable and reputable. I do not have to wonder if the service was done correctly or if someone that does not have training has messed with my car.

Now, look in the mirror for that tinfoil hat... you're wearing it.
I had to read this three times just to see if I read it correctly(LOL). Some of us have to learn things the hard way!

Vipervnm

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 1
I do not have to wonder if the service was done correctly or if someone that does not have training has messed with my car.
You have got to be joking! That's the funniest thing I've read on this site in years! The dealership couldn't even put the correct spec oil in my car.

armylifer

TDI
2009 Jetta
You have got to be joking! That's the funniest thing I've read on this site in years! The dealership couldn't even put the correct spec oil in my car.
That may be the case where you live. However, I have nothing bad to say about my dealership. I will even tell you who they are. I use Chaplin's VW Subaru in Bellevue, WA. I don't think that they would mind the plug and I hope that I have not violated any club rules but they do deserve honorable mention. I am not saying that they are perfect all the time but when I did have any issues with them they made it right. I might add that they bend over backwards to please the customer, if the customer is reasonable with them. I could also tell you of two other VW dealers in Western Washington that I could not say something good about so I will just not say anything at all about them.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
I could not say something good about so I will just not say anything at all about them.
BZ for that. The dealers get roughed up enough here. No need for you to pile it on & stoop to our level. Hopefully, your dealer will treat you so well you do not reach the cynical of me & many on here.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I got rid of my '09 because things were always breaking or falling off. It was already on it's third Mechatronics Unit, a HPFP failure would have been the icing on the cake.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I also have a 2009 Jetta TDI that I want to sell. Mine has just under 50,000 miles on it and is due for another service pretty soon. I am getting tired of the high cost of servicing the Jetta. The dealers gouge me every time I come in. An oil change is almost $100.00. Even at the Chevrolet dealer I can get 3 oil changes in my truck for that same $100.00. After the holidays I plan to put my Jetta up for sale.
So you pay out $200 for two oil changes.The oil and filter is around 40 bucks+labor,that is about right.But you want the master tech that is factory trained to work on your car.Then you complain about the price:confused:.I guess you think they should work for nothing?

armylifer

TDI
2009 Jetta
It is not a matter of me learning how to do it. I promise you that there is no challange there. I have done more mechanical work in the last 45 years than most people will ever do in a whole lifetime. My problem is that I am disabled. I cannot physically do it anymore.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
It is not a matter of me learning how to do it. I promise you that there is no challange there. I have done more mechanical work in the last 45 years than most people will ever do in a whole lifetime. My problem is that I am disabled. I cannot physically do it anymore.
Understandable, sorry for my post then. Thanks for your service.