oem battery life

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Just thinking ahead. I have over three years on my 09 JSW TDI

how long do you think the OEM battery will last?

(I pretty much count on three to three and a half years on my chevy)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It can vary a great deal. All my OEM Volkswagen batteries lasted at least 5 years, and I always replaced them before they show any signs. In fact, I've never had a battery 'fail' in a car ever.

A good battery should last 5 years at least. Interstate rates the top line units at 85 months, but they generally last longer. If you buy cheap batteries, well,....

HeAvYfUeL

Veteran Member
TDI
2009, Golf Variant, DSG
4-5 years. Usually. That's the norm I think. I just had my neighbors battery fail after 4,5 years on his Escape. He came out waiving to me if I could give him a boost.

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5, 2005.5, and 2006. 5m, 5m, and DSG.
If you buy cheap batteries, well,....
1 year... :eek:

I intend to buy an OEM battery now. I learned my lesson. Cheapo Everstart batteries are not meant to crank a TDI in cold weather. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

05_new_jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
MKV Jetta TDI
I got 5 years and I replaced it just because winters were a lil slower than i'd like..

edit: i had around 150,000 miles when i changed mine

Last edited:

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
OEM battery replaced

I just replaced mine at 68K miles. Started to hear the "difficult" start in the morning. Had it tested and it was "bad". Replaced it before I was stranded. Bought a Duralast Platinum from Autozone.

06 DIESEL

TDI
06 Jetta
I just replaced mine in the 06 two weeks ago and 114k miles. It was not completely dead, just cranking slower than I would like coming into winter.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
JSW: Replaced at 34 months, 49k miles. Not completely dead, just slow cranking.
Will replace the sedan battery before winter.
Purchased Interstate, OEM styl, shape, w/o the handles, about 50% greater CCAs.

waspie

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 pkg2!
05 130k just replaced. not dead, slow cranking. purchased battery from advanced with a hefty discount and 50$ toward future purchases. had no idea the car cranked this fast. usually starts on the first full revolution even in 40 degree weather.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
05 130k just replaced. not dead, slow cranking. purchased battery from advanced with a hefty discount and 50$ toward future purchases. had no idea the car cranked this fast. usually starts on the first full revolution even in 40 degree weather.
so your oem battery lasted 6 years and 130K? That seems to be a DAMN good battery.

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
Three years is good for any battery in the AZ desert heat - including my my 2009 TDI built 08/08 and purchased 10/08. I made it until 08/11 - 3 years from it's birth.

When I lived in MD, batteries would last about 5 years. Looks like you should get about 4 years minimum.

Baysville

TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2005, Spice Red, Auto - SOLD, Jetta Wagon, 2006, Silver, Auto
August 2004 build date, September 2005 in service date.

Original battery still working today at 233,000 km. Thinking about changing it before it gets too cold.

DonL

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI wagon (BEW)
Yes, great chart. According to it, my battery died at least a year ago. Why doesn't anyone tell me anything?

Actually, I am thinking I will have to replace mine right around the seven year mark this coming March, unless I really good sale comes along.

V-Rod

Veteran Member
TDI
2014, 06 Jetta TDI Auto
Actually heat kills batteries, not cold. A cold engine may be harder to start, however.
Nothing kills a battery like running it dead in -20F The battery will freeze and will never hold any charge

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
Over a span of 130k miles, I have replaced 3 batteries. The orignal was replaced less than 5,000 miles or less than an year.

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
Nothing kills a battery like running it dead in -20F The battery will freeze and will never hold any charge
Running any battery effectively "dead", can damage the battery.

If the temperature is extremely cold and you discharge a battery while trying to start, just charge it back up so it doesn't freezes. If it won't hold a charge to start at -20F, then it is not good anyways. A battery that has a good charge won't freeze at -20F (probably closer to -90F or so). Coolant will "freeze" before a healthy battery.

Vipervnm

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 1
That chart is awfully pessimistic or I'm extremely lucky. So far only a couple months shy of 6 years on my Jetta's battery. I got 7 years on my '97 Wrangler's battery and my '00 Wrangler is 8 yrs and still going strong. I've got 3 yrs on my CJ2a's battery as well. Never had a battery last less than 5 years.

Ha! -20 can drain a battery all by itself.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Thinking of getting a new one for my 06, build date 10/06. Has 86,000 miles on it now. It cranks fine, so far. Ive got a set of cables in the trunk just in case!

V-Rod

Veteran Member
TDI
2014, 06 Jetta TDI Auto
Running any battery effectively "dead", can damage the battery.

If the temperature is extremely cold and you discharge a battery while trying to start, just charge it back up so it doesn't freezes. If it won't hold a charge to start at -20F, then it is not good anyways. A battery that has a good charge won't freeze at -20F (probably closer to -90F or so). Coolant will "freeze" before a healthy battery.
Employes don't always turn off the key. so a perfectly good battery will freeze and be shot. Before we know it.

Of course a good battey wont freeze at -20F, we would really be in trouble when it hit's -40F if that was the case! lol

tennisclyde

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
5.5 years and 157,000miles on my 06 Jetta...it was cranking slow on 40 degree mornings...didn't want to wait until it got cold...replaced it with DieHard Gold

ricardotdi

TDI
06 jetta
I just replaced my oem unit that was starting to fail (after 4.5 years/114,000 mi) with a Diehard Gold, group 48 from Sears. I couldn't wait for one of their dopey sales, so I paid retail, w/ tax came to $180. I fit it in with no trouble. Works great. You just have to be careful not to drop and lose the hold-down bolt and clamp into the dark hole between the engine and plastic bottom shroud. If you do, you can add hours to your 5 minute job!

I also looked at PEP Boys Bosch unit for $109, but the online reviews for it were not so hot.

asap03

Veteran Member
TDI
G5 1.9TDI PD 2007 BXE
I have bought my car from our local VW dealer on July 2006. Now I have 62.000 km on board. I am still running with the OEM Varta batery, which is in a good shape. I am really impressed how long it lasts.