VW Mfg Plant Tour

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I think that 'plant' would be better titled as 'UAW's Wet Dream'. It was only done as something for tourists to see. If you watch the video, then think about it, the speed at which things get done there would result in a Golf priced at $160,000 or more. There simply is no way to produce a profit when things are moving that slowly.

If you watched any of the video that came out of VW's new plant in the USofA, you would see many industrial robots moving as fast as physics allow.

No company that wants to stay in business would have a plant like that.

BTW: that video has been making the rounds for at least 5 years.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
I don't know Powder Hound.... last time I checked the Phaeton was a pretty expensive car. ;)

Sungold

TDI
2012 -Golf, DSG
I think that 'plant' would be better titled as 'UAW's Wet Dream'. It was only done as something for tourists to see. If you watch the video, then think about it, the speed at which things get done there would result in a Golf priced at $160,000 or more. There simply is no way to produce a profit when things are moving that slowly.

If you watched any of the video that came out of VW's new plant in the USofA, you would see many industrial robots moving as fast as physics allow.

BTW: that video has been making the rounds for at least 5 years.
This was done as promotional marketing tool blurred with a mfg. plant for a low volume, high margin upper end car. I also doubt the plant always operates at this speed?

By virtue of the fact it's still showing up 5 yrs later, I would also suggest its somewhat effective.

Last edited:

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Yes, and have you ever heard of anyone claiming it was a commercial success? I submit 'flop' would be a much more common adjective so applied.
Yeah, here in North America is was definitely a flop, no question. Yet, VW execs are still talking about bringing it back here... Still no Polo, but yeah, let's bring back the Phaeton!!! Yay!!

This factory in Dresden is the only place the the Phaeton is manufactured, so PH say what you will, that's an operational "plant". It ONLY produces Phaetons, so talking about what a golf would cost if it were produced in there is a moot point - they don't get made there ;)

I actually don't think the Phaeton is a flop in the EU. It has been produced for 10 model years now...

eatpasta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat

yes, clearly only things that produce profits should exist. All creativity and innovation should be thrown out and preexisting methods of production shall be used henceforth universally.