2011 TDI DSG Mileage

maxedtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door DSG
Curious what others are getting... from the same Engine and transmission combo.

700 Miles on vehicle as of today.

I am pretty light on the throttle...

First tank averaged out to 32.9 MPG
Freeway at 65-70mph I get about 36-38mpg
PSI is at 40.
Shell Diesel.

I know plenty claim ridiculous gas mileage... but what should I expect from this car?

All my other cars have always gotten city EPA +10% so this car is in line.

A bit disappointing since I was hoping to average ~40.

I am going to try out Diesel Kleen with the next tank.

Kurtland

TDI
2011 jetta sport wagonTDI DSG
5200 miles lifetime is ~37~ last tank was 41 this tank MFD is showing 42.1 but it's usually around .5 mpg less than MFD. Give it time it will come up.

maxedtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door DSG
5200 miles lifetime is ~37~ last tank was 41 this tank MFD is showing 42.1 but it's usually around .5 mpg less than MFD. Give it time it will come up.
My MFD said 32.9 and fuelly said the same thing hahaha :) I was kind of shocked myself since every other car was optimistic when it came to that.

av8r1973

TDI
Golf V, Candy White/Black
Mine's an '09 with DSG, but I am also interested in realistic mileages. I'm not sure how much different the aerodynamics betweeen our cars is, but it can't be that bad - they have the same EPA ratings.

A majority of my driving is highway between San Diego and Phoenix (at least 1 trip per week). A couple of tanks of city driving have diluted the mileage on Fuelly, but it seems to be much better than yours.

My worst tank to date was 37.8 (nearly all city driving). My best tank to date has been 44.7. Surprisingly (like maxedtdi wrote), my MFD is accurate. I use Pocket Garage to track things on my iPhone until I can get online to use Fuelly. Both match the MFD.

Since both of those readings, I have increased tire pressure to 51 (max listed on sidewall) and have used Stanadyne for an additive.

The driving is real-world at 70mph with A/C on (haven't needed max - the A/C is cold enough without it). Cruise is set as much as possible and the accelerations from stops are pretty aggressive. I'm putting about 1k miles per week on it.

I'm interested to know if your mileage will increase when the engine breaks in. The reports seem to vary with the amount of "improvement". Good luck and please follow up.

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
Give it some time to break in, measure your mileage over a few tanks, easy on the A/C, etc etc, all of the other standard comments for "my mileage suxxx" threads.

Dibsen

TDI
Jetta sportwagen
I just calc'd my first tank today on my '11 sportwagen DSG and I brought in a wopping 22.9 mpg. all city driving, a/c on max most of the time, and a good amount of idle with a/c at max. Tire pressure hasn't even been checked since I drove off the lot, but I am assuming it's at oem recomened.

I haven't broke 500 miles yet so for this first tank I didn't even go past 1/4 throttle.

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
My 2011 Golf with DSG. Only 3000Km on her. Still breaking in. Only calculated on 3 fillups. 43.22 mpg. 50/50 highway/city. Have used the PS Deisel Kleen on all 3 tanks.
The wifes 2011 Golf with DSG. About the same mileage but 90/10 city/highway. No PS Deisel Kleen added and only 2 fills. Shes at 34 mpg.

NAZ TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG
Sunday we did a day trip from Flagstaff to LA area (Burbank vicinity) and back-1,032 miles total. Four people going, two on the way back. The dash display said 40.2 average. Pencil and paper said 39.9 MPG. We went from 7,000 feet elev. at Flagstaff to 600 ft at the Colorado River, then back up to the California high desert, down into LA and then back to 7,000 ft. We kept the cruise at the speed limit; 75 in AZ and 70 in CA. On the steepest upgrade-I40 in AZ-the car did not downshift and held 75 MPH without a strain. The instant MPG never went below 18.5 on this hill. This is real-world driving for me. If I had tried for top MPG, I would have done a lot better, but leaving home at 4 AM Sunday and getting home at 1 AM Monday was a long enough day!

NAZ TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG
P.S. We also had the A/C on all day; it was 114 in Valencia (N of Burbank) in the afternoon and 105 at the Colorado River at 9:30 PM.

MaddogTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, United Grey, 6M
I've noticed cruise mentioned a couple of times in this thread... I've found cruise to be one of the major contributors to "mediocre" mpg's. When I switch it off and control the speed the old fashioned way, and take it slow on the up hills and accelerate on the downhills, I can push mpg's to the high 40's - low 50's vs. low 40's with cruise blindly keeping locked on it's setting. I've got a stick, but I would think difference would be about the same.

maxedtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door DSG
Give it some time to break in, measure your mileage over a few tanks, easy on the A/C, etc etc, all of the other standard comments for "my mileage suxxx" threads.
My new wheel tire combo needed some "breaking in" I am back above 40mpg on the cycle where I used to get 36-7. I averaged 42.2 MPG over the last 80 miles which included traffic/city driving and idling :cool:

I've noticed cruise mentioned a couple of times in this thread... I've found cruise to be one of the major contributors to "mediocre" mpg's. When I switch it off and control the speed the old fashioned way, and take it slow on the up hills and accelerate on the downhills, I can push mpg's to the high 40's - low 50's vs. low 40's with cruise blindly keeping locked on it's setting. I've got a stick, but I would think difference would be about the same.
I don't use cruise control :D

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
My new wheel tire combo needed some "breaking in" I am back above 40mpg on the cycle where I used to get 36-7. I averaged 42.2 MPG over the last 80 miles which included traffic/city driving and idling :cool:
Your engine itself needs broken in as well, you won't see your best mileage until 10,000+ miles.

JettaTDiPA

Veteran Member
TDI
Owned 2011 JSW DSG for 16mo.
I purchased my 2011 Sportswagon TDi auto
Almost all of my driving is city with limited short state highway.
-my first tank was 32.0 second was 34.1 Third was 34.8
Last tank was 35.6
It appears until I get a few thousand miles on it, mileage will slowly increase. I do not own a leadfoot, however much of the mileage at this point is with cold engine. As part of break-in I do "punch it" once or twice a week to get high rpms for a moment or two.

Curious what others are getting... from the same Engine and transmission combo.

700 Miles on vehicle as of today.

Freeway at 65-70mph I get about 36-38mpg
PSI is at 40.
Shell Diesel.

I know plenty claim ridiculous gas mileage... but what should I expect from this car?

All my other cars have always gotten city EPA +10% so this car is in line.

A bit disappointing since I was hoping to average ~40.

I am going to try out Diesel Kleen with the next tank.

maxedtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door DSG
I purchased my 2011 Sportswagon TDi auto
Almost all of my driving is city with limited short state highway.
-my first tank was 32.0 second was 34.1 Third was 34.8
Last tank was 35.6
It appears until I get a few thousand miles on it, mileage will slowly increase. I do not own a leadfoot, however much of the mileage at this point is with cold engine. As part of break-in I do "punch it" once or twice a week to get high rpms for a moment or two.
Sounds like i'll be in line with that. Do you use PowerService?

> Luke <

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2011 TDi DSG
Current Mileage reading = 13,180
Average accumulative MPG from day one = 50.44 mpg
Last ten fill-ups = 50.20 mpg
Every fill-up, every Saturday, Average 17.19 gallons
I carry an additional 5 gallon container, which allows me to fill-up just once a week.
I have found that the dash display readings to be not accurate, with 5% + error, both for day trips, as well as fill-up to fill-up trips.
I.E. > a spreadsheet is far more accurate.

JettaTDiPA

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry, I don't know what Powerservice is....
If it is a trade name for fuel?? I use Quik Fill exclusively (very common in my part of PA) plus it is the only place in my little town that sells diesel...
I have filled up at between 1/4 and 1/2 tank- so my mileage may not be a good measurement. I only have 1,800 miles on it. AC on maybe 1/4 of the time probably less.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It's been posted here, but bears repeating. For the first 5000 miles you should concentrate on braking the engine in properly (lots of RPM variations, use WOT, no cruise), not on fuel economy. FE will continue to improve long after 10K. My '02 didn't deliver its best fuel economy until it had 60K on it.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
1800 miles on my 11 golf DSG . Cluster says over 40 , but best tank was my second at 38 mpg with about equal city/ highway doing the math after a fill up ... just started using PS white , engine quieter and will see if mpg improves ! Not expecting much more till around 10k tho ;) loving my new car soo far !!!

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
2011 DSG, 23,000 miles....Mine gets between 40-45mpg depending on all the usual factors. If I really baby it, watch my speed and right foot everywhere, I have gotten as high as 48mpg on the highway. I can get 40ish around town if I am careful. I usually drive for fun so my avg per tankful has consistently been around 40-42mpg, this is a 50/50 mix of city highway.

maxedtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door DSG
Is there any reason you use PS white and not the silver bottle Diesel Kleen? Diesel Kleen stated it was safe for CR diesel engines ... white bottle doesn't say that.

maxedtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door DSG
Sorry, I don't know what Powerservice is....
If it is a trade name for fuel?? I use Quik Fill exclusively (very common in my part of PA) plus it is the only place in my little town that sells diesel...
I have filled up at between 1/4 and 1/2 tank- so my mileage may not be a good measurement. I only have 1,800 miles on it. AC on maybe 1/4 of the time probably less.

Sold at a walmart near you.

Jayhawks

TDI
11 JSW TDI
11 JSW TDI DSG- ~2400 mi - I have grippy 225/45/17 Pirellis and am averaging 33 mpg so far. I think I'm losing 2-3mpg from the tires.

4whlr

TDI
2011 Wagen
mpg

I have a 2011 with dsg, last weekend on a 130 mile trip I averaged 46.5. That's with speeds between 35 and 100 and going through mountain passes in Alaska. Average speed by computer was 57. If I drive with cruise control on at 55 I can get 50-52 mpg.

JettaTDiPA

Veteran Member
TDI
Max-
Thanks, and after reading a few other threads- I had learned what PowerService is. Side note, I filled today- 38.4MPG - this tank had 200+ highway miles which is a lot more highway than prior tanks. But it does appear mileage is slowly going up- at this point (2850 total miles) seems each tank is a little better than the prior. Mine goes into dealership for the 3month service- I was going to talk to the guys there about using PowerService or something along those lines, particularly for the upcoming winter.
Another side note- the Fuel Usage from instruments is always a little higher than what my manual (spreadsheet) indicates. My best estimate at this early stage is I am going to get 35-37 in town, perhaps 43-to 46 Highway. If I purposely were to drive highway solely for economy, it should exceed 50mpg. Just a guess....
Good Luck to ya...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Just so you know, I don't think there's such a thing as three month service. Your first service is at 10K. And you certainly don't need an oil change before 10K. Also, your dealer might tell you that additives are not recommended for the new diesels. That's VW's official position, even though most folks here use them.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Is there any reason you use PS white and not the silver bottle Diesel Kleen? Diesel Kleen stated it was safe for CR diesel engines ... white bottle doesn't say that.
I never read anywhere in the DK bottle safe for CR engines ... Both say safe for all new moter and I went with white for water management

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
Just so you know, I don't think there's such a thing as three month service. Your first service is at 10K. And you certainly don't need an oil change before 10K. Also, your dealer might tell you that additives are not recommended for the new diesels. That's VW's official position, even though most folks here use them.
There's a free 6000 mile / 3 month check-up.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Cool. Didn't know that. Is that dealer initiated or in the maintenance schedule?

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
Cool. Didn't know that. Is that dealer initiated or in the maintenance schedule?
I can't remember if its actually printed in the owner's manual or not, and considering I'm in the middle of about 96 hours of consecutive rainfall, I'm not going out to check :p

It would almost have to be a part of the schedule, as I bought my car from Chris in Philly, and had the check up done here in WV with no questions asked.

Kurtland

TDI
2011 jetta sport wagonTDI DSG
The three month check up is just a check up top off any fluids quick once over. More of a courtesy than a service.