So I tossed an AHU in my 91 GTI this weekend...

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 GTI +TDI, Lifted 98 NB TDI, Corrado TDI Swap, 15 Golf TDI, a dozen TDI motors etc...
Here is the YouTube video of the original engine conversion: 61MPG VW 1991 GTI TDI Swap

***Updates since original motor swap***
Over 60,000 miles on the swap with no problems
1/4 mile: 14.658 @95 mph
Averaging over 60 MPG

Big Turbo & Rallye FMIC thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=346447

VR6 suspension and Boxster brakes thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=357793

Epic 61MPG VW GTI TDI Road Trip thread http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=358576

Well it's official now, this GTI is a diesel. :) When I drove it home Friday evening after work (August 19th) 4:00 it was a completely intact Gasser GTI with a few mods (Passat control arms, MK3 Axles and tie rods, G60 brakes, Big sway bars...) Now it's been improved. Here is the basic timeline:
Friday 4:00 PM - start disassembly
Friday 9:30 PM - car is down to the firewall inside and out except for the heater box
Saturday 8:00 AM - Started with washing the engine bay, then tore apart and relubed the manual steering rack before installing it, install the MK3 wiring harness through the firewall after slight enlarging of the holes to accept it. The Corrado pedal assembly with a minor rigidity mod and DBW added was installed next, followed by the TDI and 02A (CTN). Once the TDI was in I made some notches in the rain tray to install the MK3 harness properly, and then reassembled the front end (radiator, core support, grill, bumper). I was done with that by about 10:00 PM
Sunday 8:00 AM - Started the day with finishing a few things up under the hood (coolant bubble, some wiring) followed by all the things that needed to be swapped under the car (fuel tank, fuel lines, exhaust system, corrado shifter box). When that was complete we installed the airbox and started messing with the wiring inside. We started the engine for the first time at 9:00 that night and brought it up to temperature to set the timing.
Sunday 10:30 PM - Engine runs, timing set, but missed the goal of "complete" backed it in the garage under its own power.
Monday 5:00 PM - Arrived home from work. I immediately started messing with the wiring, took it for a quick spin, adjusted the shift linkage, and installed the rest of the dash, console etc. :) It was compete enough for my liking my about 10:00 PM.
Tuesday - drove it to work in the morning and WOW this thing is nice! Quiet, plenty of torque! :) I took it to the DMV on my lunch break and had the registration fixed - had to get that "D" on the title since "G" would now be incorrect and require emissions testing. The guy looked it over and filled out the form and I was out of there without too much of a headache. After work i went and had it aligned before heading home and installing the headlight harness.
Today - there is still plenty left to do, but I'm glad there really wasn't much down-time associated with "fixing" my GTI. :) I'm so glad to be done with that stupid Gasoline powered lump! :)

Sorry for only 2 crummy cell phone pics - I will get some more uploaded at some point, I also updated my web page to reflect this new motor:
My 1991 GTI TDI conversion page

Last edited:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Looks great!!!

Any plans for an IC in the future?

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 GTI +TDI, Lifted 98 NB TDI, Corrado TDI Swap, 15 Golf TDI, a dozen TDI motors etc...
Looks great!!!

Any plans for an IC in the future?

Yeah, just skipped that in order to get it running quickly. I have one on the workbench that needs to be plumbed in. :)

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
That is quick! 37.5 hours accounted for.
Was the dis-assembly of the engine donor similarly summarized?

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
That is quick! 37.5 hours accounted for.
Was the dis-assembly of the engine donor similarly summarized?

the engine was pulled from the donor Jetta over a year ago, it also took less than a weekend. I was only able to do this so quickly because I have done it before and I had help. :) I had the motor prepped before this weekend. I just couldn't afford any down-time as this is my daily driver. :D

Thanks for the great responses everyone! I'm just glad it went as well as it did.

Last edited:

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
Tuesday - drove it to work in the morning and WOW this thing is nice! Quiet, plenty of torque! :) I took it to the DMV on my lunch break and had the registration fixed - had to get that "D" on the title since "G" would now be incorrect and require emissions testing. The guy looked it over and filled out the form and I was out of there without too much of a headache.
I'm very interested in this part. What section of the DMV did you go to? I had heard that some DMV people want you to go see the smog referee.

I have a 97 1Z into 1978 VW Bus project in the works right now..

Thanks,

Mark

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Great job Dave! :)

What's next, a PD? :p

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm very interested in this part. What section of the DMV did you go to? I had heard that some DMV people want you to go see the smog referee.

I have a 97 1Z into 1978 VW Bus project in the works right now..

Thanks,

Mark
Well, first i filled out the back of the REG256 form where it says Motive Power _______ to _______ and I wrote "Gasoline to Diesel", put the car's current KBB value, and the cost of the conversion. The guy at DMV wasn't too sure what to do with it so he talked to his boss, who sent me outside to have a Verification done. The verification was really simple. the guy outside checked to see if any of the VIN plates had been tampered with, I told him that the verification was for a Gasoline to Diesel Motive Power swap and he looked at the engine and fuel filler before having me start the car. he then competed the form and had me go back inside where they handed me my new stickers, took my original title, and informed me that the updated title would be at my place in two weeks. :)

It's a really food thing that motor is a 97. It would need to go to a ref if it was any newer and would be smogged every two years after that.

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
Great job Dave! :)

What's next, a PD? :p

I had considered PD for a moment (due to it's lower weight), but it will be a rebuild to my AHU that cracked a piston (From the Green Beast). This motor belongs to a friend, and I'm just borrowing it for a little while. :D What else would I use the Rostens and ASV's I jst ordered in? :D This cute little stock AHU, CTN 02A, and G60 brakes combo is just temporary - till the "real" parts are done. ;)

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow !!! would only wish I could make changes that fast, nice job, looking forward to going for a ride
And you will be getting a ride soon. :) probably when the parts get here - or soon after. :) What I can't wait for is a ride in your AWESOME conversion! I love dirt, and I love TDI's...

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
Well, first i filled out the back of the REG256 form where it says Motive Power _______ to _______ and I wrote "Gasoline to Diesel", put the car's current KBB value, and the cost of the conversion. The guy at DMV wasn't too sure what to do with it so he talked to his boss, who sent me outside to have a Verification done. The verification was really simple. the guy outside checked to see if any of the VIN plates had been tampered with, I told him that the verification was for a Gasoline to Diesel Motive Power swap and he looked at the engine and fuel filler before having me start the car. he then competed the form and had me go back inside where they handed me my new stickers, took my original title, and informed me that the updated title would be at my place in two weeks. :)

It's a really food thing that motor is a 97. It would need to go to a ref if it was any newer and would be smogged every two years after that.
Priceless info, thanks!!

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
Well, first i filled out the back of the REG256 form where it says Motive Power _______ to _______ and I wrote "Gasoline to Diesel", put the car's current KBB value, and the cost of the conversion.
Another question here.. Does the DMV now use the KBB Value and/or Conversion Cost to determine how much registration fees should be?

i.e. I bought my bus 10+ years ago for cheap so my registration is pretty reasonable. Since then I've done tons of body work, paint, and putting (don't ask how much!) $ into the conversion. I wonder if my reg fees are going to look like a new car now?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
How did they determine the engine was from a 1997?

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
How did they determine the engine was from a 1997?
They didn't. So I'm sure you could get away with any diesel if you didn't tell them, but I'm not suggesting anyone do that. :p

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
Another question here.. Does the DMV now use the KBB Value and/or Conversion Cost to determine how much registration fees should be?

i.e. I bought my bus 10+ years ago for cheap so my registration is pretty reasonable. Since then I've done tons of body work, paint, and putting (don't ask how much!) $ into the conversion. I wonder if my reg fees are going to look like a new car now?
I'm not sure, didn't want any funny business, so I went with what seemed right.

wandlc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB GLS TDI
You didn't have to show the vin of the donor car? I live in CA and want to do a swap but I thought I would need a donor car with vin to get it registered.

Steven

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
You didn't have to show the vin of the donor car? I live in CA and want to do a swap but I thought I would need a donor car with vin to get it registered.

Steven
Exactly, no donor VIN required. :)

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thank you...hopefully I never need to worry about it;) If I do I'll buy you the beer afterwards

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
Frankencar Well it been almost a week we need to hear how well it is going and how much fun it is========
Well, it's been over 300 miles since the swap was done 4 days ago and I love it! Interests in what mpg this will return. The old gasser was getting 21!:eek:

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
Video

It's finally done! 8,100 of the 13,500 pictures I took during the swap are now viewable in under 6 minutes. :D

91 GTI TDI Swap Video

Uploading big files to YouTube is... interesting. :rolleyes:

47coeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 jetta TDI, 94 TDI German block in a Samurai
Great job showing how you performed the task in such a short time (3day weekend) TNX for sharing many people will enjoy seeing the process that you went through.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
That was awesome. nice to see the different angles. altho you didn't get nearly ad dirty as I thought you should have been, what with having to change out all of those bits so quickly.

How did you set your camera up to take photos every 10 seconds or so? some kind of security monitoring software and a webcam?

Awesome video. Thanks for sharing.