Need Assist: Read Door won't open from outside - internal okay

TDI_Cubed

Veteran Member
TDI
14 BMW 328dX
I have searched the forum for a writeup for this issue, but have only found write-ups on the door switch or door not opening from the inside.

Couple of weeks ago, rear driver side door began to require 2 pulls on the door handle to open the door, than refused to open after a couple of days.
The door can be opened from the inside.

I pulled the lock mechanism off of the door thinking that the cable either came loose or broke. Visually look good. Does anyone know of a write up to resolve this or could provide some guidance on the issue?

2jettasinthedrive

Veteran Member
TDI
01 TDI 02 Wagon
I wonder if the cable stretched. If you pull the little Half moon piece at the rear of the latch, the cable should be right there. See if you can reposition it (take up the slack) in the holder.

TDI_Cubed

Veteran Member
TDI
14 BMW 328dX
I played with the cable a bit. Made certain that the locking mechanism was fully seating both in the lock and unlock positions by moving the lock mechanism back and forth.

Tried closing and opening the door both internally and externally and it began working smoothly again. Possible the cable stretched a little, or the locking mechanism was sticking a little. Not certain but it works now.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited: