Window tint cost ballpark

mvoss15

TDI
2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI (previous 05 Jetta TDI, 09 JSW TDI, 05 Jeep Liberty CRD)
I'm trying to get a sense of what a quality tint job would run for my JSW. Calling around locally, it seems that $250 or so is what I'm being quoted. For those who have their windows tinted, does that seem a fair price?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I just paid a hair more then that for my 99.5 sedan. If the tinter has good reviews I'd say go for it!

-J

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I'm trying to get a sense of what a quality tint job would run for my JSW. Calling around locally, it seems that $250 or so is what I'm being quoted. For those who have their windows tinted, does that seem a fair price?
It really depends on the tint material used. Beware of cheap tints. The tint film degrades and your windows can become purple in a few years. That is probably a reasonable price if they are using a good tint. I would suggest staying with a name brand ceramic tine (3M, LLumar, etc.). Metallic tints can cause problems with radio reception inside your car (things like GPS on the dash, etc). Radios with external antennas are not effected. Some "fancy High Tech" tint films can be more expensive. Installation costs should be about the same for any tint film, but the price of the film can vary widely. As a general rule - the better tint films cost more. I would generally avoid both the cheapest and the most expensive.

Have Fun!

Don

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW
tint price

As I remember- my 09 JSW ran $179 for Llumar tint with lifetime warranty. Don't get the cheap stuff! I had my 98 NB done when I got it new. About a year ago-the tint started peeling on the driver's door. After 10 years-I expected to have to pay to replace the peeling tint. To my surprise- they retinted the whole car no charge. That made it all worthwhile for me.:)

mvoss15

TDI
2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI (previous 05 Jetta TDI, 09 JSW TDI, 05 Jeep Liberty CRD)
Thanks, all, for the advice. I think I have found a decent price at a reputable shop. I have an appointment for Monday morning for the window tinting. I'll post a pic once its done.

If anyone in Northwest Arkansas is looking for tint, I'll be able to give a recommendation of a shop based on how it turns out.

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
I paid a friend $200. Without him I would have paid $250. Make sure the person uses good film and know's what the bleep they are doing.
15% Llumar Formula 1 brand is awesome! Looks nice too! A tad darker than what I wanted. More privacy, less heat, and less glare on the kids iPods and DVD's.

TT71

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
I paid 200 for my Jetta. They used Johnson window film. Only complaint I what I have is too light and the next level darker was too dark.

IdontownaVW

TDI
MK1 AHU, Colorado Duramax
I paid 200 for my Jetta. They used Johnson window film. Only complaint I what I have is too light and the next level darker was too dark.

I share the same opinion. I went 20% with Johnson film, as when I had 15% on my GTO I felt it was too dark.

Now I wish I had gone with that on the Jetta, as I feel the 20 is far to light for my liking.

Plano Diesel

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Candy White Manual, 2009 Jetta TDI Salsa Red DSG, 2006 Jetta TDI Candy White Manual
$200 for lifetime warranty (on a new car), $150 for 3-year warranty (applied to a seven-year old used car). Madico film. 35/20. Dallas metro.