How long is the rear main seal good for???

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Changing my clutch and it has 90K on the motor, should I change the rear main seal?

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
If not leaking, leave it alone. IMHO. Some have had trouble installing them. And many cars have gone WAY over 90k on original seals.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I changed my Clutch at 281k miles (preventative maintenance). The rear main seal looked fine, no leaks, no runs........you get the point! I left it alone! However, I did replace the front seal at about 279k miles cause it was leaking. And, I did replace the Cam Seal (OEM) and now the new one is leaking (the old one was not leaking).

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Thanks, I don't have one. i thought I had ordered one and so i was debating putting it in.

But i can't find it, so either I lost it or I'm getting old and I forgot to order one.

So, I guess that settles it....LOL

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Changing my clutch and it has 90K on the motor, should I change the rear main seal?
I would not. I didn't and am fine at 134,000 miles (I changed the clutch at about 75,000 miles). I have read several stories of botched seal installation jobs that resulted in real leakers. The new springless seals are tricky to install if you have not done them, I have read.

--Nate

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I'm not saying you should or should not put it in. But on the same hand, I think it's rather a incongruent argument to say if a seal that has 134k on it at thetime of a clutch change, will last the life of the next clutch. Seems to me that there needs to be a way to install this properly.

bengone1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1998 VW GTi 1Z powered. 06 Jetta PD. 01 allroad 6sp
Just to be clear. What engine code is the OP talking about. A PD rear main seal is a whole different ball of wax from an ALH. The PD requires an expensive special tool. ALH does not.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I think the main point is if it is not leaking aka it is not broken don't fix it. I ordered one for my ALH at 202,000 miles when I was doing the clutch; wasn't broken didn't fix it.
The next weekend doing another clutch, not my car, and the seal on his car was weeping so we replaced it.

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Pd.........
It's all all done now.:)

just to be clear. What engine code is the op talking about. A pd rear main seal is a whole different ball of wax from an alh. The pd requires an expensive special tool. Alh does not.

tdwesty

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Jetta TDI GLS Spice Red, 1.6TD Westy
Just to be clear. What engine code is the OP talking about. A PD rear main seal is a whole different ball of wax from an ALH. The PD requires an expensive special tool. ALH does not.
My PD is leaking (I think, haven't pulled it apart yet). Is the tool a must, or can one be made?

joelbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI GLS Wagon, 5 Spd, Sold-2002 Jetta Sedan auto, 2003 GLS Wagon auto project

What special tool? Looking at ETKA both the PD (BEW) and ALH use a rear main seal 06A 103 171 A. Does this same part install differently on the two different engines?

I would like to hear thoughts on the replace/ don't replace subject as I am doing my clutch/single mass flywheel conversion next weekend on my PD 2004 jetta. Mine is not leaking currently with a little over 150k on it.

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
not all PD's require the special rear seal... BEW's are the exact same as ALH...BRM's starting in the MKV jetta required the special seal with the CPS and the special tool to install ....as for the OP's original question...if it's not leaking don't touch it!!....my beetle has over 325k miles on the original rear main seal and does not leak a drop! ...also having done dozens of auto to manual swaps I've only replaced a few rear mains and that was only if they were dripping oil....weeping is totally normal, don't touch it!

Invig

TDI
Mk5 Jetta BKD
There's an opinion by Franko6 that no special tool is needed to install the RMS. Just a steady hand and taking your time.

But I'm glad to have read the advice above. My BKD RMS (170kkm) is not leaking and even though I have a new one ready just in case, I'm going to leave it.

As a side note, I find that the injector plug emerging from the head is usually the source if oil leaks on the BKD, and it's fixed or at least reduced by soaking the injector cover's vapour return valve in degreaser.