How to: Turn on your service interval reminder.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
All MK4s (except 99.5s[more on that later]) have a service interval reminder built into the cluster. For some reason it is turned off for the US spec cars. It is possible, however, to turn it on with VCDS pretty easily. IMO, this is a GREAT feature and I cannot figure out for the life of me why VW turned it off for the US cars. Makes keeping track of oil changes MUCH easier.

To turn it on, fire up VCDS and go to 17-instruments, go to coding, and the next to last digit will be a 3, to turn on the service interval reminder, replace the 3 with a 0. You can just leave it that and flash the service light after 10,000 miles or 365 days, which ever comes first. At around 8K miles into the oil change, it will display "SERVICE,2000miles and count down from there) At the 10K mark, it will flash SERVICE when the key is turn on for the first 30 sec or so.

You also can go into adaptions and change the time and mileage when the service display come on. It is set at 15K KM and 365 days from the factory.So for example, if you want it to come on for your fuel filter changes instead of oil changes, you can set it to 30K KM and it will come on every 20K miles.

To reset it with VCDS, you can use the SRI reset which work well, or you can go into the adaption and change all the numbers manually, or if you do not have VCDS handy, you do the following; switch off ignition, press and hold the trip. reset button, turn on the ignition while holding the button. The service icon will stop flashing and turn on steady. Turn the clock knob to the right. The cluster will now display the mileage and the service has been reset.You can now turn the ignition back off.

As for the 99.5 cars, they are pretty much out of luck. The physical icon is in the mileage display and will show up when you run output tests in VCDS, but it will not accept the service interval coding. The cluster is simply not capable of doing it. The only way I know to get around it is to swap in a later cluster. It will require modification to make it work(including completely rewiring the air bag light) and probably is not worth it. I have plans on swapping a later MFA cluster into my 99.5 and as a bonus, I should be able to have the service reminder working.

zukvw

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle, 04 jetta pd
nice, very interesting, makes no sense why this isnt on already, but thankyou for the info......

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
After 8,000 miles, it will display a countdown in the mileage area when the key is turned on:

Then after the 10K miles it will flash the service icon when the key is turned on :

poor1

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4
It's turned on in the UK and it's a pain in the backside. When the service milage appears it can be turned off with VagCom but otherwise it keeps on flashing.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI

poor1

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4
Oops, didn't realize somebody beat me to it.:eek:

I explained how to reset it above in my post. You do not need VCDS to reset it.
Did not work for me. I have reset it several times with VagCom but it's a pain having to redo it.

Geomorph

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf and 2002 NB
Anyone know the secret to getting this work on the New Beetle cluster? I had no problems getting this to work on my Golf. In the older thread, I saw there was someone running into the same Beetle block as I am. I can recode the cluster but can't read any of the adaptation channels for setting service mileage and distance. It also seems that the same person got it to work but then didn't really explain how...

Also, does anyone know what happens when you hit the time limit before the distance limit?

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Your beetle doesn't have the same cluster as the Golf/Jetta. That is why Beetles can go to 1,000,000 miles vs the 1,000,000 KM in the Golf/Jetta which is the limit from what I have read.

Geomorph

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf and 2002 NB
How to Set the Service Reminder on the New Beetle

Okay so I figured out how to make this work on the Beetle. Basically, you cannot access the adaptation channels when the coding is set for the USA. So, in addition to changing the coding 4th digit from without service interval to service with fixed interval (which is from 3 to 2 for the new beetle, different from the Golf/Jetta 3 to 0), I also changed my Country code 3rd digit from USA to England (2 to 4). You have other options such as Germany, Europe, Japan, Canada and so on. I found that the England code kept my Odometer in miles unlike the rest that put me in kilometers. The adaptation channels are all accessible in the other countries I tried just not USA. Setting up the channels in another country and then changing the coding back to USA did not work, so for my car England it is.

The only funny thing about this is that, even though it keeps the Odometer and trip meter in miles, when the service reminder comes on, it shows "service km" and begins the countdown from 3000 km. The odometer still reads the correct miles. Then when the reminder turns off, the "km" switchs back to saying "miles". The other thing that is different from my Golf also, is that when you turn on the ignition and the reminder is within the interval, you get the warning bell (same as the low fuel warning bell) and the oil pressure lamp flashes yellow for a second and then turns off. The lamp is normally red when you turn the key on.

So anyway that's it. You can turn this on for the New Beetle (at least year 2002, I don't know about others) but you only get to enjoy the distance countdown in kilometers (even though you can keep your odometer in miles for USA folks).:)