rocketeer928 - My 2003 VW Jetta TDI

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
Man, that car is freakin buried. Why did you run the snowthrower so close ?!?

Guys... just think how angry his wife is going to be if you validate his TDI blogging obsession by paying him for it!?! haha.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Why??? Because I'm a stupid idiot, that's why! Just dumb, dumb, dumb. I bought a new set of clear side markers yesterday to replace the one I broke.

I need validation, and a little extra cash would be nice. :p

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Dude!! You sent me a buck. That's too funny! Thanks, friend.

Anybody else want to contribute? Ha, ha!

BTW, my Jetta lives again...

Last edited:

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
A buck for a good story teller in nothing! Now let us see your car living again!

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
Karp... This is AWESOME!!! Just like up in the great white North when I was a kid... I have not seen snow like that since I was 14....

Make sure you enter that photo in next year's TDI Fest photo contest..

Now that you completed all the shoving... is she still pulling hard?

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Actually, we have had lousy weather (snow, ice, and even more snow) here for a few weeks now. So, instead of risking crashing my car (yes, I have snow tires) or hitting its lower lip on a chunk of ice and damaging it, I've been using my pickup for a while now. I'm sure the TDI still pulls hard, but I haven't experienced it much lately.

Remember the picture in Post Nr. 623 where I hit 500 miles while the fuel gauge needle was at the ½ mark? That was back on Dec 16; over a month ago. Well, due to the weather, doing a little work on the car in late Dec, and a 2-week winter home vacation, I still haven't filled the tank (it's around 680 miles now). That's how little I've been driving my TDI.

My dad thinks I should put the TDI in the garage for the winter and just drive my truck, due to how much time and $$$ I've put into the Jetta. He has a good point, but 18 mpg vs. 45+ mpg is a big hit in the wallet. Hopefully, we'll get a stretch of decent weather soon, so that I can plug in the Frost Heater and hit the road again.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Winter never lasts that long in So. New England. My wagon is actually my winter beater. The M-B gets parked. I would vote with your dad to keep the Jetta inside, however.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
Actually, what I would like to do is get a cheap, stock TDI as my winter car. But, my wife said "NO"...
Stock !!!! HA HA HA!!! It would probably stay stock for the first five minutes after you bring it home ! Your wife's got you figured out!! ;)

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Maybe 15 minutes... :rolleyes: Her response is "why do we need a 4th vehicle"? Answer - Why not? If I was to get a beater then I would likely keep it "nearly" stock; honestly.

1tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 99.5 Black
You could just use the Taco on the days it actually snows, my dad has used the jetta for 90% of the winter so far, and takes the 4runner or Discovery on the days we get a blanket of snow. And the jetta doesnt have snow tires.

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
? why not still keep the jetta in garage... ? Do you have to go out and scrape the jetta windows, and start it dead cold, when you actually want to use it in the winter time?

Keeping your daily garaged in the winter time is the only way to go, IMO.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Admission time

I actually value my Tacoma more than the Jetta TDI, so my choice is for it to be in the garage, along with my wife's car. I bought my black Tacoma 4×4 new in 2003, and it's been our third vehicle (yes, I'm spoiled/blessed) ever since. I have less than 24,000 miles on it, and plan to keep it for a very long time, Lord willing. Also, because we lived in Deutschland in 2007 for my work, the Tacoma and my wife's car didn't see any mileage, as they were stored on jack stands. I bought the Jetta TDI five days after I returned from the Fatherland.

So, the Jetta is relegated to the outdoors to shiver (she's covered with a new blanket of snow right now). I do have a Frost Heater, so the engine starts right up when I use that, and if needed, I have a very long, low-gauge extension cord to reach the Jetta in the far corner of my driveway (best place when snow throwing). Besides, the Jetta is much easier to clear the snow off of compared to the Tacoma with its height (I'm a short 5' 7"; my parents fault) and it Tonneau cover. Also, the book value on my Tacoma is much more than the Jetta, even though they are the same age.

Ideally, I want to build a workshop/New England country barn out back with an additional one bay garage. But, that's a few years away, if ever.

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
Blasphemy! haha. It's ok rocket... we still accept you... I think.

Have you modded the tacoma at all? It's ok to post some pics of your other rides here too, IMO.

1tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 99.5 Black
You should just drop the ALH into the Taco, then you can have practicality and economy :D I know i'm still debating to throw one in the 4runner.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
My Tacoma

The only modifications are fog lamps, Line-X sprayon bedliner, and TruXedo tonneau cover. I use AMSOIL for the engine, transmission, and differentials. This spring I will be changing the timing and drive belts due to their being 7½ years old. My Tacoma now sports Firestone A/T tires, which are a huge improvement over the BF Goodrich tires that Toyota had installed.

I wish my truck and other vehicles were clean like this right now. It's one thing I don't like about winter.

There is a guy on-line that does professional conversions of the Tacoma to the diesel engine used throughout the world in the equivalent Helix. But, he wants over 10 grand, so that's not an option.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
A good friend of mine has exactly the same truck, TRD, same color. His has 23K on it. It looks as clean as yours most of the time. I think that body style Tacoma is one of the best small pickups ever.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
When I was new-vehicle looking back in 2003, I really wanted a V6 Tacoma. (Was selling my 84 Jeep CJ-7 I'd bought from my dad). No one would loan me the $25K for one though.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Wow, very Tacoma. I think that you own the two vehicles with the highest resale value in the world (not that you'd ever want to sell). I desperately wanted a Tacoma for my spare 4x4 vehicle a couple years back but the resale values are just so high that I couldn't swing it. Ended up with an '02 Mazda B3000 instead. Nice enough truck, but it's no Tacoma.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Chrysler Sebring Antenna

I read somewhere on the forum that the Chrysler Sebring mast antenna fits on my Jetta and can receive radio signals better than the OEM whip antenna. Since I primarily use the radio, as compared to other media, I decided to check it out. I stopped by the local dealer and ordered one for less than 5 bucks, including my contribution to Governor Malloy's budget.

So far, I'm pleased. I think the reception is a little better than before.

If you're interested, I bought Part Nr. 5064253AB

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d XDrive, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5speed Platinum Grey (sold), 2010 Jetta 6speed (bought back)
The mast as in just the whip part? Or replacing the whole base too? Sounds very tempting for only $5. And I don't have to contribute to Gov. Malloy, I get the honor of contributing to Mr Cuomo (part 2...).

AUGSX

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI 5spd
Your Car is amazing and this how to thread is also amazing. Ideas ideas ideas...

Now I just need to replenish the car fund, 5 spd swap has made the fund take a big hit.

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Your Car is amazing and this how to thread is also amazing. Ideas ideas ideas...

Now I just need to replenish the car fund, 5 spd swap has made the fund take a big hit.

You are on the right track. You already have an 11mm pump in there!

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI

Thanks friend. Except for installing the WaveTrac LSD I bought late last year, I'm pretty much done modifying my TDI. I have a woodworking project I MUST complete before the LSD goes in.

AUGSX

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI 5spd
Ya I have a few projects I have to fit into the modding as well. New Baby, my honey do list just got multiplied by 10 but I must say she makes me very happy so it's all good.

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
rocketeer928,

I just searched your thread here and couldn't find it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I remeber you using the Evans HDTC waterless coolant and then draining it out and going back to G-12.

Wasn't that you?