BEW camshaft wear

Teufelshund

TDI
05 VW Jetta BEW
I'm nearly positive my camshaft needs to be replaced. The car is an '05 with 137K on the clock. It makes a lot of lifter noise when its cold and lacks power.
I removed the valve cover to inspect the cam and was happy when I didn't see any copper streaks on the lobes. Closer examination revealed that the camfered edge appears pretty much gone on almost every lobe. If anyone is willing to take a look at a couple of pictures to help me confirm this diagnosis I would appreciated it. Evidently, I haven't been a member long enough to post images.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
It's toast. Get it to a guru.

eddif

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD Automatic
I'm nearly positive my camshaft needs to be replaced. The car is an '05 with 137K on the clock. It makes a lot of lifter noise when its cold and lacks power.
I removed the valve cover to inspect the cam and was happy when I didn't see any copper streaks on the lobes. Closer examination revealed that the camfered edge appears pretty much gone on almost every lobe. If anyone is willing to take a look at a couple of pictures to help me confirm this diagnosis I would appreciated it. Evidently, I haven't been a member long enough to post images.
The copper streaks are faint, barely seen marks that turn into raw wear within 500 miles. The window to see the copper streaks is almost nill. The only reason I kept on about them is they are the indicator that the BEW cam bearings are shot. I think one person saw the copper streaks and chose to keep an eye on the cam. The next time he looked the cam was past doing anything with the bearings.

You just have to make a decision to change bearings. Most want to wait till they see something. UOAs usually just tell you the cam is shot. Inspections after 100,000 miles US often show wear already started. Copper streals usually only show on the BEW exhausts and the odds are slim to catch them early enough. BRMs with black exhaust followers are different animals, but do suffer from reduced oiling IMHO.

eddif

Teufelshund

TDI
05 VW Jetta BEW
Pics posted

Random shots of three different lobes from different angles:

The last one is out of focus, but the edges can still be seen. I have never seen a good camshaft other than in pictures, but this one looks fairly well worn to me.