BEW Turbo Upgrade

Teufelshund

TDI
05 VW Jetta BEW
Hi; I'm new to this forum and TDI's in general. I have posted some things over on the mytrubodiesel.com site, but they tend to be more stock oriented and it seems to me that more people over here have significant experience with modifications.

I need to replace the turbo on my 05 Jetta (BEW.) I would like to go with a VNT-17 for several reasons, including: durability, performance and the fact that it is essentially stock. My question to the experts is: how plug and play is this swap? I am aware of the need for an altered EGR tube. I see a lot of Garrett GT1749's for sale (used); are they all interchangeable? My engine uses the electronically controlled VNT acuator. Can I just use the one from my current turbo on the VNT-17? Could I swap a GT-1749 onto my current exhaust manifold?

I appreciate any insights...

Teufelshund

TDI
05 VW Jetta BEW
What is the benefit of deleting the EGR tube? I looks like it assists with warm up on cold days. Will the turbo swap trigger the CEL or is that in reference to the EGR delete?

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins
What is the benefit of deleting the EGR tube? I looks like it assists with warm up on cold days. Will the turbo swap trigger the CEL or is that in reference to the EGR delete?
The warm up assist from the EGR is negligible as far as I can tell. No CEL from the turbo, it comes from the EGR removal.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
FYI - your turbo actuator is still controlled by vacuum, but has electronic feedback. I think my cold weather warm up got worse when I had the EGR cooler still installed with the EGR bypassed, but now that it's all removed warm up is very good. Must have been acting as a little radiator.

The CEL for the EGR can be 'corrected' with a custom tune.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The warm up assist from the EGR is negligible as far as I can tell. No CEL from the turbo, it comes from the EGR removal.
I agree: people mention warm up but in a tuned car running more fuel I don't think there's much impact.

The "smart" actuator from your OE turbo will not fit the 17. But they are available for the Garrett VNT-17. You could buy a VNT-17 and swap out the actuator. Otherwise the turbo is plug-and-play on your car. Nice upgrade. I just stumbled on a dyno of a 17 in an '04 making 163/277. RC3, no other mods, IIRC.

Teufelshund

TDI
05 VW Jetta BEW
"The "smart" actuator from your OE turbo will not fit the 17. But they are available for the Garrett VNT-17. You could buy a VNT-17 and swap out the actuator."
Cool, that's what I wanted to know. I see a lot of Garrett GT1749* turbos for sale but I don't see many with the electronic actuator. Are all GT1749 turbos configured the same way?
Can I buy any VNT-17 and simply install that on my existing exhaust manifold?
Where can I find the "smart" actuator for the VNT-17?
Further upgrades (injectors, chipping) can come later?
Nobody likes the EGR system in these cars. I know a lot of people don't like emission system components on any engine. What is the real result of removing the EGR system, "dirtier" exhaust? Does an EGR system degrade engine performance? In what way?
Thanks

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
If you delete the EGR system you'll get a CEL until you get the car tuned and the EGR duty cycle deleted. And if you do I'm not sure if your ECU will show EGR readiness in an inspection. That matters in some states, not in others.

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
I agree: people mention warm up but in a tuned car running more fuel I don't think there's much impact.

The "smart" actuator from your OE turbo will not fit the 17. But they are available for the Garrett VNT-17. You could buy a VNT-17 and swap out the actuator. Otherwise the turbo is plug-and-play on your car. Nice upgrade. I just stumbled on a dyno of a 17 in an '04 making 163/277. RC3, no other mods, IIRC.

now thats awesome Peter

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Cool, that's what I wanted to know. I see a lot of Garrett GT1749* turbos for sale but I don't see many with the electronic actuator. Are all GT1749 turbos configured the same way?
Can I buy any VNT-17 and simply install that on my existing exhaust manifold?
Where can I find the "smart" actuator for the VNT-17?
Further upgrades (injectors, chipping) can come later?
Nobody likes the EGR system in these cars. I know a lot of people don't like emission system components on any engine. What is the real result of removing the EGR system, "dirtier" exhaust? Does an EGR system degrade engine performance? In what way?
Thanks
The VNT 17 is available with the electronic actuator. http://idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=761
The exhaust manifold is essentially part of the turbo. If you wish to keep the EGR, idparts has the part you need to adapt the new turbo to the existing hardware.
Other upgrades can come later - not much need for injector upgrades on the BEW unless you are going for big power.
The biggest advantage to removing the EGR anymore is the high failure rate of the flex lines to the EGR cooler. Simpler is better.

Teufelshund

TDI
05 VW Jetta BEW
Other upgrades can come later - not much need for injector upgrades on the BEW unless you are going for big power.
The biggest advantage to removing the EGR anymore is the high failure rate of the flex lines to the EGR cooler. Simpler is better.
Thanks very much. I see many people run the PD150 intake manifold... is that the European version? If I later add the PD150 intake along with a larger downpipe (2.5"), will both of these bolt straight up?
I guess I am essentially trying to make my BEW into the European version of the same engine. I don't know exactly what the differences are. For example, does the European version use the EGR system, or is that there only to satisfy U.S. emission standards? Perhaps someone knows of a link where I can learn more about the Euro-spec engine?

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins
No EGR on the PD 150, no silly flapper valves in the manifold otherwise it's a simple swap.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I went with the 17/22 for a little more room to play, tuning wise. Couple extra pieces needed to make the install - not exactly plug an play, but not too bad. Off the shelf parts available to hook it up.

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta (SOLD), 2004 Beetle, 2003 Jetta Wagon (parts car) all manuals all for sale
I went with the 17/22 for a little more room to play, tuning wise. Couple extra pieces needed to make the install - not exactly plug an play, but not too bad. Off the shelf parts available to hook it up.
Please pm me or post what is needed. Also why go with a PD150 intake? What injectors do you have?

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Sorry for being unclear, that was refering to how much more the 17 is vs the 17/22.
I think the adapter is ~$60 and you can pick up a used lower pipe from somone on the boards for <$20.

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta (SOLD), 2004 Beetle, 2003 Jetta Wagon (parts car) all manuals all for sale

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Please pm me or post what is needed. Also why go with a PD150 intake? What injectors do you have?
The others beat me to the parts needed to fit it in place. Exactly as they mentioned, intake coupling (I used a straight section of H.D. radiator hose) and a later ALH outlet hose.

The PD150 intake doesn't have the flappers internally for the EGR system. There are some good pictures around here somewhere showing each. Basically, in addition to all the other EGR stuff, the ports that attach to the head are split with a portion used for the EGR. The PD150's ports are fully open.

I'm running stock BEW injectors and don't seem to have any problems with fueling with my current setup. I'm hoping to get it on the dyno next month so that should show me how well it works.

kraftwerkturbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI auto
Newbie with BEW

I need to replace the turbo on my 05 Jetta (BEW.) I would like to go with a VNT-17 for several reasons, including: durability, performance and the fact that it is essentially stock. My question to the experts is: how plug and play is this swap? I am aware of the need for an altered EGR tube. I see a lot of Garrett GT1749's for sale (used); are they all interchangeable? My engine uses the electronically controlled VNT acuator. Can I just use the one from my current turbo on the VNT-17? Could I swap a GT-1749 onto my current exhaust manifold?
Diesel newbie, but turbo geek.
Have BEL with DP and high flow exhaust. Stage 1+ tune for Rocket Chip (not sure what boost it runs, I think claim is 15-20HP and 30-40 ft/lb of torque???).

I still haven't found out what turbo my car (BEW) comes with. Since I saw your post: what do I have?

Before turbo upgrade: I assume larger injectors would be a first step? What is currently (stock) installed (size, type), and what would be my upgrade options (size, type, donor car (year/make/model/engine code)?

Any concerns about cam wear (I read that pumpe duese (is PD the correct term) suffers from cam wear with larger injectors?

For turning purpose (I am familiar with Bosch 7.xx and 9.xx): what ECU is on the 2005 Golf BEW? ECU label is: 038 906 016 Q

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Stock turbo on a BEW is a Borg-Warner KP39. Unlike older cars, there's lots of fuel available through tuning, no need to upgrade injectors for a VNT-17. Just tune for it. Cam wear is a problem on all PDs, but not affected by injector selection. BEWs seem to suffer the least cam wear as they have the least aggressive cam profile.