MK2 8v Gti PD conversion, GTB2260VK/Bosio R783's

borachris

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora ASZ 130PD, Corrado 150PD in production
Thought it was about time I started a thread on my mk2, before it gets out of hand and I end up finishing it without doing one.
After having my Bora for about 6 years I just fancied a change, had always wanted a mk2 but couldn't afford the insurance when I first passed my test and ended up with a 1.4SR Nova!
Anyway I came up with a plan to buy one and drop a 150PD ARL lump in, with the adition of the GTB2260VK turbo and R783's, both had been fitted to the Bora and totally transformed the car compared to the little hybrid I had fitted previously.

So I decided all this one Thursday, let a few mates know I was looking for a cleanish mk2, spec/engine unimportant. 2 days later my mate Ray phoned, one of our other mates Pete, knew someone selling an 8V gti. Went down for a quick look and bought it there and then!

Its an 8valve Gti in alpine white, first registered in march 1992/J, bit rough around the edges with 190k on the clock, but most importantly for me the shell is solid with no major rust, in fact hardly any at all

When I tell people i'm putting a diesel engine in a mk2 Golf most of them think i'm stupid, I think its going to be alot of fun!!!

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
When I tell people i'm putting a diesel engine in a mk2 Golf most of them think i'm stupid, I think its going to be alot of fun!!!
I get that a lot too :D, it's kind of annoying the ignorance of others. We just love it all, power, fuel economy, and longevity.

Looks like it's going to be a fun swap/project

Jon

K.I.T.T.

Veteran Member
TDI
PD75
Watching this with interest. I should have asked if I could pop round and have a look - came back up to Stockton yesterday!

Ash :)

borachris

Veteran Member
TDI
I get that a lot too :D, it's kind of annoying the ignorance of others. We just love it all, power, fuel economy, and longevity.

Looks like it's going to be a fun swap/project

Jon
Thats exactly my thoughts mate, its going to be my daily so it has to be the full package!

hell yeah, i did a 1Z, that PD is gonna fly in that GTI!
I sure hope so mate:p

Watching this with interest. I should have asked if I could pop round and have a look - came back up to Stockton yesterday!

Hi Ash, next time you are going to be in the area drop me a PM, you are more than welcome to pop round and have a look, be good to catch up mate:D

borachris

Veteran Member
TDI
Finally got around to making a start on the engine, need to get the crappy petrol lump out to make way for the torquey monster lol.

BIG thanks to my mate Ray (aRd) for the use of his drive/garage and all the help with the build and also his wife for the occasional babysitting of my 3 kids!

Old engine and box, had to practically give it away just to get rid of it!

Once the engine was out we took all the old wiring out and other bits like the speedo cable and clutch cable.

borachris

Veteran Member
TDI

Gave the bay a quick degrease and wash, its not in bad condition at all really, and its all straight which is always good!

I was going to get it all done in Ford Frozen White like the ST's but i've decided it might be a bit too white for the boxey shape of the mk2 so its just going to get a full respray in the original Alpine White.

TBH we had more trouble getting the gti lump out of this then we had with the couple of mk4 swaps we've done, managed to snap a couple of bolts here and there.

Bobby Singh

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi 3.0 TDI
Wow Chris i didnt know you had started this thread. Well done to you and ray its going to be interesting with all that power and less weight. I reckon you'll get better mpg lol
Do you have to change the fuel lines?

borachris

Veteran Member
TDI
Engine is in :)

Cheers Bobby, Yes mate its going to be interesting alright lol

The best mpg I ever got in the Bora with the 2260 and 783's was 63.8 on the trip computer, not sure how accurate it was with the mods though. Like you say thoughshould be better with the lighter mk2!

Will be retaining the original mk2 fuel lines unless someone can give me a good reason not too, I can't see why they won't do the job, they are even the right colour lol.

Got a lift pump and mk3 fuel tank to fit, Ray just needs to fit a relay in to operate the
pump. Probably put the tank in next weekend.

Made a little bit of progress today, despite the bad weather and both me and Ray feeling rather unmotivated!

Had a few problems, mainly the fact that the turbo is too bloody big and the steering knuckle on the rack is in the way, days like this I wish we had LHD! I'm thinking its going to have to be a new exhaust manifold to move the turbo over to the left more, shouldn't be too hard to solve, just an unexpected problem.

Manifold without turbo, you can get an idea of hoe close the turbo gets!

This one shows the original MK2 engine mount bracket that I had to butcher to get the turbo fitted to the engine before we put it in the car, as we found out after trying to fit the engine, it was a waste of time as once I get a new manifold sorted the turbo will have plenty of clearance from the bracket.

Radiator and twin fans from a Seat toledo tdi, should be big enough to keep things cool and fits in pretty nicely

Second fan is belt driven off the first one so no motor to get in the way of the oil cooler housing

Last edited:

borachris

Veteran Member
TDI
Engine is in :)

Battery fits in nicely still in the original position, either going to use a MK4 cloth cover or maybe modify a MK4 plastic one to fit around it somehow.

Couple of more random pics

MK2 PS reservoir is going to be replaced with a MK4 item.

Time to find a suitable exhaust manifold and sit down with ETKA and make a list of bolts and bits and bobs i'm going to need to buy.

Last edited:

borachris

Veteran Member
TDI
i wish i could find a MK2 that is that clean up here!
I got really lucky mate, it was the first one I looked at, Alot of the ones i've seen since are nowhere near as rust free as this, don't get me wrong its not perfect but its one of the better ones:D

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Get a passat manifold, when I'm on the pc in the office I will send you a pic I have.

That mount would snap in 2 minutes!

borachris

Veteran Member
TDI
Get a passat manifold, when I'm on the pc in the office I will send you a pic I have.

That mount would snap in 2 minutes!
Yeah I know mate lol, it was just a temp thing to get the lump in and get an idea of what was going to go where etc, intended to make a new one out of 8mm plate, with a new manifold I should get away with using a standard unmolested bracket lol

Tried this manifold but it was even worse

Thinking of something like this, iirc its of a MK3?

Thats really good progress mate 12sec 1/4miles :)
Cheers mate, i'd be happy with low's lol:D

K.I.T.T.

Veteran Member
TDI
PD75
How much do Mk2s weigh Chris? I'm thinking similar to a Mk6 Polo, ie just under 1100kg...

Also, did you decide whether you're using an O2J or an O2M gearbox yet? And what driveshafts are you using?

borachris

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi Ash,

Wikipedia states mk2's weigh between 910kg and 1245kg, obviously the heaviest will be the rallye and snycro, I'd say you would be about right maybe 1050kgs at a guess mate.

Using a DQY 5 speed and standard gti shafts for the initial setup, see how they cope and maybe get something beefier in the future ;-)

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Will be retaining the original mk2 fuel lines unless someone can give me a good reason not too, I can't see why they won't do the job,
Check for rubber segments at the filter element. These might not tolerate the DERV for extended use.
Does the car have a pump in the petrol fuel tank? Mine didn't last long pumping biodiesel, left my wife stranded, so I swapped in a pump-less tank from a diesel.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
I assume he will be fitting a Mk3 tank with the PD lift pump (if you do the failsafe mod order me a couple of Check valves Chris and i'll sort you out!)

Yeah, I'd chage the rubber hose to some new viton anyway as you will need some from the filter to the engine.

Keep up the good work!

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
I drove a few AHUs in mk2 and it's so nice driving those swaps. The car feel so light that 90-110hp makes it feel so strong... I always wanted to do that swap but I went with the MK4 instead... Will follow with interests!!

borachris

Veteran Member
TDI
Check for rubber segments at the filter element. These might not tolerate the DERV for extended use.
Does the car have a pump in the petrol fuel tank? Mine didn't last long pumping biodiesel, left my wife stranded, so I swapped in a pump-less tank from a diesel.
Thanks for that mate , i'll have a look, I can't recall seeing a fuel filter when we took the engine out lol.

Just had a look at the pics(car is at my mates) and it seems like there is a couple of inches of rubber pipe on the end of each line, then its just that hard plastic pipe, so aslong as I replace the rubber the hard plastic lines will be ok yeah?

As Ry said, i've got a mk3 tank and PD lift pump, that reminds me, I need to order some mk3 tank straps!

I assume he will be fitting a Mk3 tank with the PD lift pump (if you do the failsafe mod order me a couple of Check valves Chris and i'll sort you out!)

Yeah, I'd chage the rubber hose to some new viton anyway as you will need some from the filter to the engine.

Keep up the good work!
Yeah mate, i'll get a couple extra;)

Probably going to sort the tank and lift pump at the weekend, get the Rado shifter in and have a look at the pedal box.

We need to have a sit down and sort through the bits i've got and see what else I need to buy next.

Decided on a manifold from a 1.9 NA mk3, just waiting for it to arrive and see how it looks on the head before cutting it up.

I drove a few AHUs in mk2 and it's so nice driving those swaps. The car feel so light that 90-110hp makes it feel so strong... I always wanted to do that swap but I went with the MK4 instead... Will follow with interests!!
If 90-110 feels strong I can't wait to get this on the road:eek:

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
those N/A manifolds look to flow well but make the turbo hang really low, i had one made up and sold it as i could not get it to clear the driveshafts!!

pic:

I'd have the flange at an angle toward the bulkhead if you get what i mean??

Let me know about the Check valves for the pumps, or do you want me to order a few and get the VAT back? i can get them from the US but they were £12 to post even if you bought 1 or 10!!

Ry

borachris

Veteran Member
TDI
Cheers for the heads up on that mate, I did think it looked a bit low, but looking at your pic it looks a similar height to the VB manifold i've got already.

I'd thought about the flange, it will tuck the turbo up a bit more out of the way closer to the block, good call!

Leave the valves with me for now, might be able to get them FOC;)

borachris

Veteran Member
TDI
Chris not sure if this is any good but jabba use their old 8v high flow mani's for big turbo jobs

http://www.jabbasport.com/store/index.php?app=gbu0&ns=prodshow&ref=JSEMIHIG60
Cheers for that Bobby, i'll have to have a look and measure up, seen a couple similar to that on ebay too.

Well all the pics so far seem to have been a bit dull and colourless so I thought I'd brighten things up a little, shame you won't see it when its all built lol

This was a special order SPEC stage 4+ from Backdraft, I picked it up from a guy who never finished his 20VT

SMF

And a very sexy looking bit of friction material to fit between the other two

Should be an interesting drive, but it should cope with the torque ok!

borachris

Veteran Member
TDI
Any updates Chris? Also, you may want to edit that last photo ;)

Cheers Ash, hadn't noticed that mate!

No progress to report yet I'm afraid, life keeps getting in the way :-(

New manifold arrived, not quite what I was hoping for but we'll see what we can do with it. It's going to be a pita to get this 2260 on but it'll be worth it!

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Hey Chris! nice swap! I think putting a torquey versatile TDI into a mk2 is the coolest swap around, VR6 swaps ruin the mk2 in my opinion.

here is my 91 GTI 8valve that I am currently restoring and swapping a 1Z into..look familiar?:D

One thing is for sure, I don't envy you guys across the pond when it comes to RHD cars..It looks like they are a major PITA to work on, just like the British cars that are converted to LHD, which I have to deal with all the time!!! I do work on a RHD morgan and a RHD Bentley and Austin FX4 cab however!
good luck with the rest of your project! -Chris

borachris

Veteran Member
TDI
I hate to be a vulture, but what have you done with the manifold for the 2260 when fitted on the Bora?

Would you consider selling it?

Sorry!
Sorry mate sold it already

Hey Chris! nice swap! I think putting a torquey versatile TDI into a mk2 is the coolest swap around, VR6 swaps ruin the mk2 in my opinion.

here is my 91 GTI 8valve that I am currently restoring and swapping a 1Z into..look familiar?:D

One thing is for sure, I don't envy you guys across the pond when it comes to RHD cars..It looks like they are a major PITA to work on, just like the British cars that are converted to LHD, which I have to deal with all the time!!! I do work on a RHD morgan and a RHD Bentley and Austin FX4 cab however!
good luck with the rest of your project! -Chris
Looks like a nice example you have there mate, how are you getting on with it?

The RHD is a bit of a pita TBH, if it was LHD the turbo would go straight in with the old manifold!

Well its been a while since i've updated this, we didnt really do alot over the winter, due to weather, work and family the mk2 got a little forgot about :-(

Anyway here are a few updates

New rear oil seal, i know people who have had no oil leaking and replaced them only to get a leak, but the old one had been seaping slightly so it needed doing anyway. While I was on with the seal I decided it would be a good time to have a quick look at the bottom end so took the sump off, which also made fitting the new seal easier tbh!

New seal and installation piece which pushes the seal on evenly, if all goes to plan lol

Seal installed

Sump back on, bolts all torqued up and new sandwich plate fitted

Flywheel fitted, clutch disc held in by alignment tool

Pressure plate fitted and tightened up

Just uploading some more pics now