The 1998 B5 Passat TDI (one of 2 stateside?)

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Ahh(not my engine code), I feel much better. Timing job complete! Nick did a great job on it and I learned a lot.
Nick decided that he'd do a write up on how to do the timing job on a North American AHH, that will follow shortly ;) I'm kidding. Here are a few pictures:
step 1, remove front end:

We found that the viscous coupling pulley would not budge! we went to Menards to get a strap wrench, no such luck, so we got some 5mm bolts, a 3 foot 1x.25 steel flat and made a custom 3 foot spanner wrench. Without a welder or the proper tap, the bolts had to be wedged in and held in place by the awesome assistant(me).

That short ratchet did nothing, a cheater was required, and even then, it took a lot to get it to budge.

With that off, we were able to get the serp tensioner off and the water pump out. The woodruff key was missing, instead of VW replacing it when they did the timing job, they just torqued it down harder.. we got one from the hardware store and modified it, fit nicely.

Thank you Volkswagen for the unique pump!
we found that the O-rings for the pump and the thermostat were totally chewed up, must have gotten smashed at the factory - according to the records, it hasn't been replaced.

New belts on

From there, everything was put back together. Nick adjusted the IQ, IP timing, did some logs and I made it home safely with the multifunction display reading 53MPG when I got home(~30 miles).

btw, that connector I posted a picture of is nothing, just an option I don't have I guess.

Enjoy the pics!

Jon

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Nice pics Jon! It's nice to know that the car is in a good home. :cool:

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
It's just ridiculous that you have to remove the fan hub and serp tensioner to take off the lower timing belt cover. :confused: And what were they thinking with that accessory tensioner design? If you ever get that thing apart Jon, please post some pics of the guts.

Everytime I see this car I'm surprised how rough it really is - I mean every panel is scratched or dented in some way or another and the interior is in pretty much in the same shape.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Everytime I see this car I'm surprised how rough it really is - I mean every panel is scratched or dented in some way or another and the interior is in pretty much in the same shape.
Just wait until it is done, I am sure to see it as a wonderful rare thing! :D

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
well I've been driving this car for a week straight now, 400 miles on the tank so far(plus a few from previous fill) and it keeps getting better and better.
Nick pointed out a possible boost leak - crack in the silicone pipe going from the upper intercooler pipe to the intake, sure enough it was a leak. I tried electrical tape, it only held until I floored it, then it made an awful noise, it sounded like an elephant. I got some emergency stop leak which I don't think is hold up too well, not leaking - yet, looks like I'll be searching for one of these hoses.
I ran a bottle of diesel purge through to purge the injectors and installed a CAT 2 micron filter, it now starts and idles properly, before it would sputter just slightly, power seems better than ever. The hoses that went to the old thermostatic T are 5mm vs the new thermostatic T that uses 6mm hoses, I'll have to do something about that, it looks like the IP has a 6mm connection as well as the fuel lines up against the firewall, I'll have to replace some hoses. I had to replace the hose that goes from the filter to the IP because it was 10mm vs 8mm. I'll get this all straightened out shortly. In another thread of mine, one member points out that I might have an 11mm IP because this engine was only used in automatics in Europe, anyone know any way to check?
I also installed a battery cover from a B5.5 Passat to clean up the engine bay a little bit, I'll be relocating the vacuum stuff behind the first firewall soon and it'll really clean it up inside there.
It also sounds like a 1.8t clutch will bolt up to my car so I have an appropriate replacement, here is the thread about that:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=294733

I've got to look into it some more, but a possible upgrade with the B5.5 VNT17 turbo will be the outlet hose and inlet hose from the air box to the turbo, it looks like a direct fit but I have to look at it a little more closely.
I wish I could find an engine cover for a reasonable price, there is one on ebay.co.uk but shipping is like $85 USD.

Jon

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
That plastic collar around the fuel filter is in the wrong place. It's bottom is supposed to sit on top of the clamp and the filter should rest on the top of the plastic ring. It's purpose is to set the filter at the right height.
The plastic ring goes all the way to the bottom, it has a flange on it, I believe its in the right place, now in the right place in a bucket. I installed the CAT 2 micron filter.

Jon

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Wow, new motor mounts are amazing! Sirpuddingfoot and I just finished installing the new motor mounts. I used BHW motor mounts for this one and man does that make a world of a difference! The old mounts sounded like tin cans, nothing left inside, what a difference!

So the stud on the fuel filter bracket isn't long enough with the CAT filter in there, The hole for the stud was slightly egg shaped so I took my dremel to it and made a 5/16" pin pass through it. I made an extension nut sort of thing out of a 3/8-16 SS SHCS, turned the threads off the outside and turned it down to .300", drilled and tapped through axially M6x1 for the stud that is on the fuel filter bracket, the extension is about 1/2" and I was able to use it to snug up the fuel filter in the bracket, it fits quite nicely.

No pictures for now, maybe later.

Jon

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Wow, new motor mounts are amazing! Sirpuddingfoot and I just finished installing the new motor mounts. I used BHW motor mounts for this one and man does that make a world of a difference! The old mounts sounded like tin cans, nothing left inside, what a difference!
So no more floating engine that wants to jump out of the engine bay on startup? Any difference in vibration at idle?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I bet those old puppies were toast from the sounds of it. Man my originals on my B5.5 were leaking at 57k!
The old ones sounded like empty tin cans. I sure hope the $240 I just dropped into motor mounts last at least 100k!

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I got them from Boraparts, I do believe they are the new ones. I'll take a look when I get home.

Thanks,
Jon

sirpuddingfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat, 05 Jetta
You need a new drivers side headlight lens. Actually you need 2. Your GLX needs one too.
Also, you should probably be looking into getting the rear fenders fixed and sealed up before they start salting the roads. Just sayin' ;)

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
The lenses just need to be buffed(hopefully), especially the one on the GLX.

Confirmed, factory 11mm IP!

the 414 in the bosch part number designates the 11mm IP

Jon

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
The manual and everything I see on the engine (AHH) says it is a 90HP engine.
It does pretty good now that everything clean and timed correctly, I'm looking forward to a tune!
My VNT-17 will be on my steps Wed or Thursday next week.

Jon

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Told you it had an 11mm!! they are 90hp for sure, same setup as the auto ALH really.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
You gave me the inspiration to check it ;)

On Monday I'll be sending out my injectors for T4 nozzles and my ECU to Malone for a Stage 2 tune (stage 4 soon to follow).

My GT1749VA will likely be here Wed or Thursday and my gaskets and hardware will be in on Thursday.

What I need for stage 4 is boost and EGT gauges(and EGT probe) - hopefully I can make these temporary, 3 bar MAP and a boost valve. I will be measuring out a B5.5 turbo hose to make an adapter for the turbo outlet hose(like Kermas adapter).

From here I will determine if the FMIC is necessary or will be needed and I think after that I'll slowly pick away at IC tubes, making them out of aluminum. The new downpipe and exhaust will also be mixed in somewhere.

I'll get to drive my GLX for a couple weeks(and burn up a bunch of gas) then hopefully after I'm done with this I can sell it!

Jon

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Maybe it will be easier to just get a B5.5 IC hose instead of making an adpator.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Maybe it will be easier to just get a B5.5 IC hose instead of making an adpator.
You might be correct, if I was to buy something I'd buy the kerma adapter but I can make the adapter in my garage with material I already have laying around.

I think the 5.5 hose has that connector on both ends and it wouldn't have enough hose left over if I cut the second side off.

Jon

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I pulled the intake hose(MAF to Turbo) off a B5.5 an hour ago, it looks like it will be a nice fit, the only problem is that its a little large on the MAF side. Can I swap the MAF housing without any issues? I might just adapt it another way but changing the MAF housing or even the whole top of the air box might be a simple fix for a bigger intake.

I also found an intercooler hose with the connector I'm looking for, I will either modify this hose to work or just use it to reverse engineer and build an adapter.

I might also have to figure out a way to hook up the breather hose heater so I have less to worry about it freezing up.
Here is the hose I'm talking about:

Jon

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Turbo(VNT1749VA) came, injectors and ECU are out. Not sure if I'll install the turbo yet, I'll be starting with stage 2 regardless until I get the rest of the supporting equipment for stage 4 @ 22psi. The injectors are with Franko6 to get some T4 nozzles.

I did a little engine bay clean up, I will post pictures later. I relocated the vacuum reservoir and N75 behind the first firewall and have relatively short runs of vacuum lines. It is very clean looking. I need to put a couple of holes in the firewall to mount the N75, I didn't want to but the double stick tape didn't hold :D I might have to find some UHB tape first to try.

Until the injectors and ECU come back(hopefully next week but I'm not counting on the injectors quite that soon) I'm pretty much at a stand still and might get bored and install the turbo.

I'm not going with the B5.5 turbo inlet hose, it is 80mm at the MAF, mine is 70mm and the one I had lined up wasn't exactly what I was expecting. Mine fits on the turbo, it is just more restrictive.

Jon

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Got my GT1749VA installed today
I probably spent 4 hours on the adapter between my lathe and my mill.
Started whittling down a misc chunk of aluminum that I had laying around

and magically the adapter appeared

Used my lathe like a shaper with the tool bit sideways to cut away the extra material around the catches

Snapped right in first try

Transition from ~1.3" to 1.75", the turbo outlet hole wasn't concentric with the connector.

hose comparison

Sirpudingfoot helped a ton with the install. I thought it would be easier than it was, I guess the hard part was getting the oil return line hooked up, there was no straight shot at it but we eventually got it.

The outlet hose hits the battery cables for the starter, I might have to move something to prevent future problems with that.

My ECU should be back early next week and hopefully injectors sometime shortly after that.

Jon

Last edited: