Breaking News: New VAG 504.00 & 507.00 standards

injectthistdi

TDI
2002 golf,1986 vw vanagon
vw longlife lll 507.00

so is the volksagon genuine long life lll 507.00 the best oil we can use no matter the cost for 2002 golf tdi ?

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
a 2002 has many choices - LL III is a good oil but the best oil debate is never ending. If I had a 2002 I would use a CJ4 oil.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
Many Choices!!!
M1 euro formula 0w40, M1tdt 5w40 (aka delvac1),Pentosin Pentosynth 5w40, Total/Elf 5w40, Shell Rotella T sythentic 5W40 and castrol from stealerships. Motul also. Walmart has the 2 M1 and rotella products, World Impex (dotCOM) Has Total/Elf and Motul. TDi parts dot com has Total/Elf and Pentosin and Motul I believe. and Check out AVlube.com

otropogo

TDI
04 Golf GSL TDI w/ESP
I've been using Elf Evolution CRV 506.01 0W30 in my 04 Golf TDI-PD since the second oil change, but may not be able to get it any more from my Montreal supplier.

Today I checked with two VW dealerships for availability and suitability of VW 507, and got a bit of a surprise.

One had never heard of 507, and said they were still using 505.01 for all TDI-PD engines. The other said that they only use 507 for the 2009 TDIs, 505.01 for all earlier models. They sell both oils at the same price of $10/L.

Both tell me that they're currently selling 2009 TDIs.

I've got to change my oil soon, and still have 3 litres of 506.01 - not enough for the job. So I'm wondering whether either 505.01 or 507 can be mixed with 506.01?

I'd ask VW, but I've been waiting four years for their explanation of the 42 PSI pressure they stipulated for the 2004 Golf's rear tires. My extended warranty would likely run out before I got an answer.

BTW the dealership delivered my Golf with 30PSI all around. I've been running it at that pressure ever since, and all my tires (Goodyear, Hankook, and Nokia) consistently show more wear in the centre than at the edges. I can only wonder what kind of wear 42 psi would produce.

fancy_dancer

TDI
2009 JSW DSG
OCI for CR TDI

My JSW TDI DSG is now about 6 weeks old, and just turned 5K miles. The Dealership (Hatfield VW, Columbus, Ohio) furnished the correct 507.00 when I requested some oil to carry with me. BUT - the service folks recommended a 5K OCI "if I plan to keep it for a long time". I haven't done any oil analysis, and I'm not sure how much good it would do during the first 5K miles anyway. Should I do the oil change now, and then do an analysis as it approaches 10K?

Many thanks...

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
otropogo said:
The other said that they only use 507 for the 2009 TDIs, 505.01 for all earlier models. They sell both oils at the same price of $10/L.
This strategy isn't "wrong", but the 504/507 oil covers the needs of just about all VWs ever produced.

If the oil Euro oil scene can be simplified, why not simplify it :) and minimize confusion?

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
I agree with DD - VW needed a idiot proof oil - they know the problems that have occured with incorrect oil usage

otropogo

TDI
04 Golf GSL TDI w/ESP
dieseldorf said:
This strategy isn't "wrong", but the 504/507 oil covers the needs of just about all VWs ever produced.

If the oil Euro oil scene can be simplified, why not simplify it :) and minimize confusion?
I'm all for that. But is there actually an official confirmation from VW that the 504/507 oil meets the warranty requirements of the TDI-PD engine?

Four years ago, I was able to get approval to use 506.01, but the way VW customer service has been going lately, I probably wouldn't even get a response to a similar request now. Is there any official statement online?

I don't want to give Omni Corp. any excuse to void engine coverage on my VW Protection Plus warranty.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
This is what I call

otropogo said:
I'm all for that. But is there actually an official confirmation from VW that the 504/507 oil meets the warranty requirements of the TDI-PD engine?

This has been posted quite a few times and exists in other forms:

Welcome aboard, Otro !

otropogo

TDI
04 Golf GSL TDI w/ESP
Thanks DD,

If only I could get my VW service techs to join this group!

I've asked three dealerships to install the Euro oilpan and sensor on my 04 TDI-PD. I gave them all the entire thread archived here on the subject, and got no takers. One shop actually gave me a reason - they don't know how to do the ECU reprogramming that's involved.

PS. nice horse - look out for the SPCA, though!

Oops. Just noticed one fatal hitch in Ms Fox's letter above. She refers to 506.01 and 507.00 meeting "the minimum requirement of 505.00 viscosity as stated in your owner's manual". But that entry in the owner's manual was incorrect, as VW subsequently informed owners that 505.01 oil was required.

Is that the only dead horse you got?

Last edited:

Volksfrank

507 or CJ4

I am waiting for my pump, some oil filters, and a filter wrench to service my Beetle 2001 TDI who just turned the 150k. My next step will be to choose the oil I would like to use until the little one reaches the 200k…I hope. This job seems a little bit more difficult.
The first 50k oil change were made at VW with the Castrol Syntec 5-40. Then, between 50 and 100k, I bought the 5-40 rotella-t at wallmart and bring it to my oil change place. Between 100k to now (150k) I am going to mobil 1 and they service it with the 0-40. The car do not consume more oil than when I bought it. The car made a 250 miles ride twice a week on the flat Florida. It does not do a stop and go life. It is a kind of real diesel life. It likes to cruise. ( I remember asking my father who was a train engineer: When are you shutting off the engine? His answer was “When we service them…) I love the 0-40 which I selected through the configurator from mobil web site. Yesterday I went to Mobil web and I was surprise to see that the configurator suggested the 5-40 TDT as the only choice for my car. This oil is not VW approved but I have confidence that Mobil expedite faster than VW. In fact, in another tread, someone says that Valvoline waited more than a year to get the famous approval letter from VAG. There is probably a lot of filtering between their chemical enginering department and the public relation department response. It is sad to see that VW talk about 507 and here we talk about CJ-4. I still do not know the differences between a 507 and a CJ-4 oil. I know VW do not want me to know it because they want to change my oil real bad and seeing me in their shop. ( Look how Intel and AMD expedite all the compatible parts) Why??? They sell the brain to work with it. My oil choice is almost done with the Mobil TDT 5-40.

OilcanHairy

TDI
2002 Jetta auto., 2004 Jetta stick
I'm diggin' all the techno-geekspeek in this forum. But why don't we all try takin' a slightly different tack? What I would like to see is actual, real-world, real-time results of engine wear, longevity, fuel mileage &c. using the different oils discussed here. I'm a driveway mechanic, as well as hopelessly OCD- the very idea of letting someone else change my oil breaks me out! LOL I live in Raleigh NC, which is mildly temperate and just north of subtropical. Temps don't get too much below freezing, nor much over mid-90s in summer. I've been using Rotella 'cause it's available, proven, and I can tell the car likes it. No soot problems, no sign of engine wear, and I can push the drain interval a little if I have to without worry. I take it out anywheres from 5 to 7k miles, no prob. Aside from being jet-black, the oil shows no sign of being hurt.
I look forward to any good techy feedback, especially from guys who actually have had a motor or two apart to really see what's happening inside. Thanks y'all! Keep on clatterin'!

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
OilcanHairy said:
...What I would like to see is actual, real-world, real-time results of engine wear, longevity, fuel mileage &c. using the different oils discussed here. ... I've been using Rotella 'cause it's available, proven, and I can tell the car likes it. No soot problems, no sign of engine wear, and I can push the drain interval a little if I have to without worry. I take it out anywheres from 5 to 7k miles, no prob. Aside from being jet-black, the oil shows no sign of being hurt...
used oil analysis is the only tool available to most of us for assessing our oil. have you been using this, or just your eyeballs to determine the condition of the oil in your engine?

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Laczi: I'd have used a thicker oil for the 1Z. You'll most likely have to add more oil during your oil change interval. How far do you go: 8K km or 16K km? The longer your interval, the more oil you'll have to top off with.

Same goes for the R1. Yamaha specs 10w40 oil. You could even use a 10w50 for real high-temp stability. Just make sure the oil you use conforms to JASO MA standard for the wet-clutch system your R1 (and many other bikes) uses.

All the best.

Laczi

TDI
1996 VW Golf3 Variant TDI (1Z)
andreigbs:
Currently I have 5W-40 in the TDI with no oil consumption at all (255000 kms), oil change intervals @ 7500 kms. I'm ready for some oil loss, then I will decide what's next. (current budget doesn't allowed 20 liters of delvac-1 5w40 which costs U$11 / liter - and that's almost half of the average price here..; oil analysis costs a whopping $70-100 here.. fuel 'just' $1,5/liter)

In the R1 I had 20W50 until yesterday, the service manual recommends 10w30 or 20w40. Some reported that they had no problems with no JASO MA spec, low viscosity car oils, and @ brock performance (they're in drag racing) they recommending Alisyn 0W (straight 0! ), which is interesting. I change oil /4000 kms normally, if the clutch will slip then I will drain it and buy stronger springs.
(will try the bike first and if it's not good, then I intend to use that oil in the tdi - very barbaric, eh? :) )

All is about personal experience, about consumption, mileage etc. wise.
(target is to find an oil which is good in TDI and also in the bike)

Last edited:

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Laczi said:
snip...
All is about personal experience, about consumption, mileage etc. wise.
(target is to find an oil which is good in TDI and also in the bike)
To each his own, obviously. :)

If you want an oil good for both TDI and R1, a good fully synthetic 5w40 should work well. In EU you have lots of options, don't get hung up on Delvac. Good luck to you.

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Laczi,

The best, dual use oil for the TDI & the bike would be a 10w-40 or 15w-40, HD synthetic diesel oil (Redline, Amsoil, etc or maybe an ACEA E7/E9 commercial product). These are not friction modified and would meet JASO MA, if not MA2.

A low viscosity, friction modified, low SAPS oil is the worse possible choice for a 10,000 rpm, wet clutch motorcycle - particularly in terms of transmission gear protection.

Laczi

TDI
1996 VW Golf3 Variant TDI (1Z)
The reason I give a try in the bike is the ACEA-s shear stability requirement (PD-TDI-s also require an oil that has strong film), and the fact that 04-06 clutches not getting too much oil (drag racers make an oil line which makes a shower for the plates).
The reason for the TDI is short trips.
The oil is ACEA C2, C3, A3, B3, B4, HTSH viscosity is 3,58 and has a high flashpoint of 254°C.
So, I try it, and maybe if things go somewhat 'wrong', I will use HD 15W-40 for summer, and 0 or 5W 30/40 in the TDI only in winter (when the bike rests).
Thank you!

drewnyc

TDI
Never Again
fancy_dancer said:
My JSW TDI DSG is now about 6 weeks old, and just turned 5K miles. The Dealership (Hatfield VW, Columbus, Ohio) furnished the correct 507.00 when I requested some oil to carry with me. BUT - the service folks recommended a 5K OCI "if I plan to keep it for a long time". I haven't done any oil analysis, and I'm not sure how much good it would do during the first 5K miles anyway. Should I do the oil change now, and then do an analysis as it approaches 10K?

Many thanks...
did you get an answer? I have a Mk6 Golf TDI and want to know what the very best oil I can buy is..

150m

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 06 Jetta sedan
I have a 06 Jetta TDI and 10 JSW TDI. Can I run the latest spec oil for 10 in the 06?

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
150m said:
I have a 06 Jetta TDI and 10 JSW TDI. Can I run the latest spec oil for 10 in the 06?
yes. It exceeds the 505.01 spec.

kathleenp980

TDI
bmw
Nonsense! Cars should be designed to be able to run oil off the local parts store shelf or in other words be idiot proof. The dealers can't even get it right how do expect John Q public to not screw up his car. I manufacture a electro mechanical product myself and I deal with people who refuse to read my instruction sheet and screw things up (check my bio). Honda and Toyota build cars with a broad range of oils that can be used and there engine don't fall apart. Yes I realize they don't build turbos and if they did I am sure they would probably recommend synthetic oil which can be found anywhere. I too am like you guys and want to take the best care of my car, I just ordered a case of 10-40w amsoil hp AMO but the general public is not like us. I think VW's ultra specific oil spec is hurting VW not helping. Dan
Thanks you for the post.