TDIFest 2011, Where will it be?

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Dare I suggest it....Las Vegas?

Lots of hotels and places. A great track, and even a lot of stuff to do besides TDI Fest. :D
Had this been a week ago I'd have thought you were insane. A few hours in Reno/Carson City yesterday had me thinking that; IF there were a group of TDI fans in the area that that Tahoe region would be worth my making a Fest weekend into a week vacation.

Or Calgary......

Remember, this isn't a "Where can we hold it" question, but a "Where does someone want to host it" question.

06SpiceRedTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Spice Red TDI Jetta, 2006.5 DSG Platinum Gray TDI
I think a Denver Fest would be cool, I lived there for a bit and wouldn't mind planning a road trip back. A Seattle fest would be cool too.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I would LOVE a Denver Fest. I spent a lot of time there in the early '00s and would love to get back. Maybe I'd sell a few turbos, too. ;)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
And good weather. I hate heat. Texas would be brutal, as would Las Vegas, IMHO.

VailPowder

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI Sedan, 1998 New Beetle TDI, 2004 Jetta TDI
I'd be willing to do my part to make a Denver , Boulder, Colorado Springs, or Vail, Colorado TDIFest 2011 happen.

Over the years I've seen so many different types of car enthusiasts do events out here...this does seem to be a good place for car lovers to put on events!

The weather can be awesome, and, if its like this year there seems to be great hotels deals.

There are lots of locations that could be considered. There is a good dragstrip, and a good race track...as well as some really great scenic roads

And, if anyone wanted to consider adding more ways to make the trip to Colorado fun...there is a pretty good amusement park Elitch Gardens [ a former Six Flags park ] a highly rated water park, some good sports stadiums etc.

And, there are lots of of other activities up in the mountains like:

Mountain Biking [ the easy way ..after the chairlift takes you and the rented bike to the top :) ,

White Water Rafting ,

Horse back riding ,

ATV's on some pretty spectacular trails

Denver might be a lot of fun!

All the best to everyone in Portland!

Paul

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
Dare I suggest it....Las Vegas?

Lots of hotels and places. A great track, and even a lot of stuff to do besides TDI Fest. :D
I agree!

I go to Vegas for the Bugorama every October. I would love to roll down in the TDI for a fest. That would be a great trip and i'm sure some locals would make the trip down with me.

TDI show and shine on Freemont street? Some drag racing on "The Strip"? A cruise out to the Valley of Fire/Hoover Dam?

Pete

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
And good weather. I hate heat. Texas would be brutal, as would Las Vegas, IMHO.
You never really know what you're going to get, but on Saturday it was 108F with 11% humidity and on Sunday it was 102F with 9% humidity.

It's definitely hot during the day for part of the year though the low humidity mitigates much of it. Also, consider that it's a 24 hour town and it's 80F at night. Some shows have even been held in parking garages.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
As a friend of mine says, when people say "it's a dry heat." "So is my oven." I've been in Palm springs when it was 110. Dry, perhaps, but still hot.

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
... but Alaska is always left out.

Everywhere is left out until someone from that somewhere offers up a working proposal and crew to pull it off.

We drove to Portland... so go ahead punk;), make my day... put together an Alaska proposal with crew to pull it off and we'll be there! (oh and probably Lug_Nut too...)

NoJoke

Veteran Member
Lets do it in Atlantic City NJ. quarter mile can be in Atco NJ. I know of two monster builds here in the east coast including my own. Give us a try to beat those west coast times ;).

AND

we're not that far away from the hard core Canadians!

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
If we did this in Alaska it would be the perfect reason to drive my Jetta up there. I really, really want to do that.

JetPuf

Veteran Member
TDI
White '98 Bug, Gray 2010 GL350
I'm hoping fest is more centrally located for 2011. We've got people on the west now interested in TDIFest... let's bring all sides together!

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
Lets do it in Atlantic City NJ. quarter mile can be in Atco NJ. I know of two monster builds here in the east coast including my own. Give us a try to beat those west coast times ;).

AND

we're not that far away from the hard core Canadians!

It would be really nice if we could have the fest at Denver and maybe we can have the big drag show,,,, where EAST meet the WEST << just a thought.

Last edited:

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
These are ALL great suggestions... but will only ever be suggestions until a group gets together and does the footwork for a serious proposal.

If you'd like help putting your proposal together/ have questions, etc. please don't hesitate to let me know. I can tell you exactly what info needs to go in one.

Time, Place, venue, team members (about 7 or so), what's there to do in the area, do you have an active core group of TDI'ers in the area, possible pricing for the venue, etc.

It's all talk until someone steps up. :)

penclnck

Chattanooga, TN! 70% of the American population live within a day's drive. Maybe get a big group tour of that shiny new VW factory?

It would be easy to figure out which exit to take... Volkswagen Drive off of I-75.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
awe.. c'mon... I've been helping to plan fest "full-time" with a full time job, part-time job, and being a full-time student (plus i threw a move into the middle of that mix too). It can be done! :eek: granted, most people are not as insane as I with their schedules, and everyone has their threshold. :)
I agree Zippy. Full time Job, Part time TDI wrenching, fest planning..... IT CAN BE DONE! It just takes a dedicated team that can be flexable and pick up work loads as needed.

VWMikel, I'd go to Vegas for sure!

Texas is another option. I'd go just to drag race against Greggles! If he wont come to us, let us go to HIM!!!!!!

PalmettoNative

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Chattanooga, TN! 70% of the American population live within a day's drive. Maybe get a big group tour of that shiny new VW factory?

It would be easy to figure out which exit to take... Volkswagen Drive off of I-75.
I'll be honest I was seriously considering backing the Denver, CO locale...but this sounds like a cool idea.

Plus the Blue Ridge mountains are a short drive away though it can still be in the upper 80s to mid 90s (temperature wise) around here in late summer...with that nasty hazy humidity that the south is hated for.

But there is tons of go-karting, white water rafting, mountain biking, hiking, lakes, and shopping all within a short drive from Chattanooga.

ReferenceDesign

Veteran Member
I can do Atlanta to Dallas on a tank. Works for me.

Here is another thought... There are a lot of motor sports parks going in that are like country clubs for car enthusiasts. Membership is too rich for my blood but they may be open to non-member events. They usually have a track and clubhouse facilities. Do any of you know of parks in your areas. Road and track just partnered with one in the southwest for events like drivers schools. I think we have one going in here in Atlanta but it is not complete yet.

One other item I would like to see at a fest is one of the drum dyno guys. Kind of like soot-on-a-trailer.

brucetmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to own a 2002 Jetta TDI - Black/Black
Anywhere but Las Vegas

I went to a convention in Vegas in 2008 - the convention was nice, but I didn't care for the outside temps - boiling during the day - even in late October. Labor day outside would be a killer. I spent the large part indoors except after 9 PM.

Way too expensive for my taste also - I'm glad my company paid for it, I couldn't have afforded it otherwise. Maybe I was in the richie rich part of town ( Venetian/Palazzo ), but it just isn't me.

How about Buffalo, NY ??? Easy to get to, Lancaster Speedway is close by, Niagara Falls, and moderate temps. School doesn't start until after labor day in NY, so that's not an issue. Lots of hotels to choose from, and I'm not opposed to holding it in Niagara Falls either ( although the hotel cost might be a lot there as compared to Buffalo ).

airwolf

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Trying to motivate!
So far I have seen a lot of "We want Fest here!" but little talk of actual plans being worked on. If anyone needs help on what it takes or what is needed for a plan, feel free to contact me.

Although depending on some responses, I might be 'competing' with you.;)

PalmettoNative

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
So far I have seen a lot of "We want Fest here!" but little talk of actual plans being worked on. If anyone needs help on what it takes or what is needed for a plan, feel free to contact me.

Although depending on some responses, I might be 'competing' with you.;)
I'll be more than happy to help you on the Chattanooga front...I maybe a few hours away, but with the power of the internet makes things easier. I put together the first National ZX2 Meet (a while back) in Atlanta.

So I am sure I can rattle the rocks loose and provide some help to you in getting things setup....now we just need a few others to get the ball rolling.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Two of our planning members were spread out by over 900 miles. Regular conference calls are a must, immediate proximity issues can be overcome.

airwolf

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Two of our planning members were spread out by over 900 miles. Regular conference calls are a must, immediate proximity issues can be overcome.
Correct, I was eight hours away and was one of the main planners for the 09 Fest. It helps to have at least one person 'local' to scope things out and visit sites and have face to face contact with the hotel.

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
Correct, I was eight hours away and was one of the main planners for the 09 Fest. It helps to have at least one person 'local' to scope things out and visit sites and have face to face contact with the hotel.
I would highly recommend more than 1 person on site. a small group of at least 3 is highly suggested. Because of the simple fact that errands need to me run and a lot of on-site "leg work" is needed. It can be done from a distance, I've done 2 fests from a distance now (Montreal -3500miles and another country away, and PDX ~ 700 miles and another state away). So, it's possible.

*shines up the motivational boot*.... ;)