Jeep Liberty TDI Conversion

Reddok

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta TDI 01M, '02 Jeep Liberty Renegade ALH TDI swap
I bought my first VW back in March - a 2000 Jetta TDI, I got a good deal on it because it had 'issues'. I did some reading here before I bought it, so I knew I could probably fix most of them. I ended up replacing the turbo, changing the timing belt - made all the tools from the info available on the site and a few other basics like changing the filters.

Needless to say the car runs great - and the fuel economy was amazing. Much better than the GMC Envoy I got rid of. BUT - the wife needed an automatic, so this car is a 01M so no towing for me. This is a bit of a problem as I have a boat and a utility trailer I like to use, so the hunt was on for a second vehicle that I could tow with.

But I was hooked on the TDIs fuel economy. :D

So I wanted something:
- Diesel (30mpg)
- Had to seat 4
- Had to be able to tow (possibly a 3000lb pop-up too)
- Around $5-10k

And I prefered to have:
- 4x4
- Something I could take off roading
- A real transfer case with low range (No Escape Hybrids)
- Airbags

Too bad the Toyota Hilux wasn't available here. The Liberty CRD was a good choice, but they were only made for 2 years and were still pretty expensive. And they only get 20-25mpg.

So when I was looking at CRDs and found a really good deal on a 2002 Liberty Renegade that had some major drivetrain issues, I decided to convert it. Unfortunately there isn't anyone who has done this swap yet so it's going to be a lot of trial and error.

I saw Babyrattlers swap and thought his adapters might work for me, but the Wrangler AX15 he is using has the starter on the passengers side and the Liberty has the starter on the drivers side. So it looks like I'm on my own for a bellhousing and flywheel adapter.

I had already ditched the automatic that was in it and installed a NSG370 6 speed out of a 2005 Liberty.

I found a guy that had a complete running 2002 TDI parts car and he let me take whatever I wanted for a pretty good price. Took me 3h to remove the engine and tranny and another 3 hours just to get all the wiring - it filled a blue box when it was all said and done.

So far I've made a temporary bellhousing adapter out of 1" square steel tube so I could mock up the motor mounts and check fit and angle. The starter being on the drivers side posed a bit of an issue and one of the wings on the back of the oil pan had to be removed in order to get it to fit.

It looks good sitting in there! But the vacuum pump hits the firewall and I'm going to have to clearance it, but at least it clears the front diff.

Still a ton of work ahead...

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
The Libby is HEAVY, and it will be very slow with the 1.9 TDI. You may also be disappointed with the mileage. It will be better than the V6, but you'll be lucky to get better than 30mpg highway.

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
Hey, I think it's an awesome swap. He stated some good points about the Liberty only being available for 2 years and the fuel economy isn't the best. As for the TDI's fuel economy, I'd bet he won't have a problem hitting 30+mpg. I'm not sure about the actual weight of the vehicle, but it can't be as heavy as my Vanagon Westfalia and is difinitely more aerodynamic :). Pushing the van hard on the freeway the lowest I saw for economy was 29mpg.

Make sure the gearing is good and puts the engine's rpms into the economy range between 2300-2700 rpms.

Looking forward to more picts and updates
Jon

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
Interesting swap, good luck with it and please keep the thread updated with your progress.

We had a CRD Liberty that typically logged mileage within the range you indicate. Apparently the ones tuned by greendieselengineering are getting around 30 mpg.

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
Hey, I think it's an awesome swap. He stated some good points about the Liberty only being available for 2 years and the fuel economy isn't the best. As for the TDI's fuel economy, I'd bet he won't have a problem hitting 30+mpg. I'm not sure about the actual weight of the vehicle, but it can't be as heavy as my Vanagon Westfalia and is difinitely more aerodynamic :). Pushing the van hard on the freeway the lowest I saw for economy was 29mpg.

Make sure the gearing is good and puts the engine's rpms into the economy range between 2300-2700 rpms.

Looking forward to more picts and updates
Jon
If you have driven a Liberty CRD, it really gets up and goes. A TDI with half the torque will be a disappointment. If you drive a Vanagon, you are probably ok with the performance of the TDI in the Liberty. I know I'd be fine with a TDI in my Toyota 4x4 pickup, but it's light, just under 4000lbs.

Liberty curb weight is more than 4500lbs, but it looks like a Westfalia can be more than 5000lbs. So if you drive it slow, you might get more than 30mpg, but it will be comparable to a CRD (obviously; same weight, drag and aerodynamics). Engine efficiency TDI vs. CRD is probably similar.

Reddok

Veteran Member
TDI
Should be about 2400rpm in 6th at 65mph. My curb weight should be under 4000lbs when it's all done. Stock crd motor puts out 160hp and 295tq. I'm planning on a big intercooler, exhaust, pp502s and a tune to get the tdi up into that range.

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
4000lbs?!?! How will you get 500lbs out of the Jeep?

Yes, a good tune and injectors should get you in the right range to motivate it. It really sounds like a cool conversion.

Reddok

Veteran Member
TDI
4000lbs?!?! How will you get 500lbs out of the Jeep?
Dropping the auto and v6 was good for a 300lb weight savings. Pulled off 50 lbs of running boards too. Puts it at roughly 3900lbs.

babyrattler

TDI
Jetta, 1998, Green
Good looking Liberty! You have a long way to go but I think it will turn out great. I'll hopefully be able to give you some data from my project once I get it on the road so you'll know what to expect. Keep on posting and we'll be here to watch. Good luck!

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
I'll definitely be following this build too, maybe it won't get the projected fuel economy, but I'd suspect it will. I also second ditch the light bar :).

Jon

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Nice car! I'll be in Hamilton next week. Would be cool to check her out.

mcneil

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 4dr, 2001 Jetta TDI, Jeep TDI project
Nice project Reddok. I think with some tuning, the 1.9 will be fine in the Liberty. Jeeps aren't supposed to be fast, just gear it right and you're good.

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
Dropping the auto and v6 was good for a 300lb weight savings. Pulled off 50 lbs of running boards too. Puts it at roughly 3900lbs.
The Jeep 6 speed and the TDI engine weighs 300lbs less than the 3.7 with automatic? I am surprised. That's cool.

Aerodynamics dominate the fuel efficiency at highway speeds. I think you will be lucky to hit 30mpg at higher speeds than 60mph, but the light bar really does make the look of the Liberty.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
This is an AWESOME swap. I would never recommend the original Jeep Liberty diesel engine- it doesn't get very good mileage. I'll bet you will be able to eek out 35-40mpg driving under 55mph. I'm excited to see, good work!!

Last edited:

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
This is an AWESOME swap. I would never recommend the original Jeep Liberty diesel engine- it doesn't get very good mileage. I'll bet you will be able to eek out 35-40mph driving under 55mph. I'm excited to see, good work!!
Unlikely. The VM engine is every bit as efficient as a TDI. And the Jeep transmission has a very good ratio tranny that locks up at 57mph for cruising at 1800 rpm @ 60mph.

The challenge is on Reddok, meet or beat the Liberty CRDs mileage.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Great swap...thanks for posting...reminds me why I love the ALH powerplant so much...very very tough engine....sure the liberty is a weighty pig but it's more aero than a westy and lighter too....the ALH seems to push those sows around quite well :)

SCarroll

Veteran Member
the final drive ratio is not the ideal set-up for a slow rev TDi. Overdrive will help a bit,...I have always felt this to be a major roadblock with gass to TDI swaps.

Reddok

Veteran Member
TDI
the final drive ratio is not the ideal set-up for a slow rev TDi. Overdrive will help a bit,...I have always felt this to be a major roadblock with gass to TDI swaps.
My transmission has been swapped, I have the same 6spd tranny that came in the dodge diesel sprinter vans. Should be 2400 rpm at 65mph with stock tires. I can get that even lower if I go from the stock 29" tall tire to a 32" (max I can fit under the Jeep). I think that might lug it a bit too much but I will have to see.

Reddok

Veteran Member
TDI
Looking for an intercooler right now. Not having much luck locating a factory Jeep one. Thinking either one of the small Isuzu NPR truck intercoolers or possibly a Dodge sprinter intercooler. I think the NPR intercooler is about 1" too narrow for the outlets to clear the sides of the rad, and I haven't been able to find measurements for the sprinter one yet. Anyone have any crazy ideas for a good intercooler? There is surprisingly little room for one in the front of this Jeep and no room for a side-mount.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
car-part.com shows an 05 liberty intercooler at Vance Hanes Auto Parts Can-NS(Truro) E-mail 1-800-565-2433, says call for price.

1tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 99.5 Black
Throw some PP520's, RC4, and a VNT 17/22 on there, that setup will out tow the CRD.

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
Throw some PP520's, RC4, and a VNT 17/22 on there, that setup will out tow the CRD.
Haha. i love how you think the TDI is teh be-all end-all of diesels. GDE has a very nice tune for the CRD that no 1.9 liter is going to touch without spending some serious change.

Last edited: