Mobile 1 esp 5w-40 in a gasser

FL/COtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
A friend of mine needs some help with a gasser 2000 Jetta. I will start by giving it all new filters because no one knows when the last time anything was changed. I have some extra Mobil 1 esp 5w-40 I could use for the oil change. Is it wrong to assume that this oil would be OK. Would the next change be due in 10,000 miles. Thanks for the info.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
I don't see why it would cause any issues.

Which gasser is it?

Sbeghan

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5spd 390k mi
gassers tend to run a bit hotter than diesels and could potentially cook the oil faster. You could probably do 10k OCIs but 5k would be more along the lines of what I hear.

Spokane Walt

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Sedan GLS TDI 5sp, 2000 Jetta 2.0 AEG Gas, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon 5sp (wrecked - have some parts!)
gassers tend to run a bit hotter than diesels and could potentially cook the oil faster. You could probably do 10k OCIs but 5k would be more along the lines of what I hear.
Uhhh... I'd doubt that the 2.0L Gasser gets anywhere near as hot as the Turbo on the TDI...

In any case... Mobil 1 ESP in 5W30 or 5W40 meets the latest VW Gas Engine Specs and would be fine for a 10K Oil Change Interval.... If the car hasn't been well maintained, a 5K OCI for the first change after this one would not be a bad idea...

Spokane Walt

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Sedan GLS TDI 5sp, 2000 Jetta 2.0 AEG Gas, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon 5sp (wrecked - have some parts!)
A friend of mine needs some help with a gasser 2000 Jetta. I will start by giving it all new filters because no one knows when the last time anything was changed. I have some extra Mobil 1 esp 5w-40 I could use for the oil change. Is it wrong to assume that this oil would be OK. Would the next change be due in 10,000 miles. Thanks for the info.
Change all the filters and clean the "Snow Screen" while changing the Air Filter for the engine. Search in the "how to" area for Jetts MKIV for instructions - it is fairly easy to do.

Mobile 1 ESP 5W40 is a fine oil for that car with an AEG Engine. That engine calls for 502.00 Spec Oil and Mobil 1 ESP in 5W30 or 5W40 meets (exceeds) 502.00.

Last, if the car hasn't been well maintained, it wouldn't hurt to clean out behind the rear portion of the front fender wells on that car... Three Screws with a TORX T25 Head on them and then just peel the fender well back out of the way and hose the crap out of there with a garden hose. Again - search "how to" section for more details...

Spokane Walt

Veteran Member
TDI
Change all the filters and clean the "Snow Screen" while changing the Air Filter for the engine. Search in the "how to" area for Jetts MKIV for instructions - it is fairly easy to do.

Mobil 1 ESP 5W40 is a fine oil for that car with an AEG Engine. That engine calls for 502.00 Spec Oil and Mobil 1 ESP in 5W30 or 5W40 meets (exceeds) 502.00.

Last, if the car hasn't been well maintained, it wouldn't hurt to clean out behind the rear portion of the front fender wells on that car... Three Screws with a TORX T25 Head on them and then just peel the fender well back out of the way and hose the crap out of there with a garden hose. Again - search "how to" section for more details...

I stand corrected - the current Mobil1 ESP 5W40 M is a MB Oil and doesn't carry the VW 502 Spec - I seem to remember a M1 5W40 that did meet VW 502, but I might be mistaken - anyways - I would still think that oil would be good for a 10K OCI given the feedback on that oil elsewhere on this forum... Be aware that a good diesel oil will tend to clean crap out of the engine if poor quality oils have been used in the engine in the past...

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
The Mobil 1, ESP 5w-40 would probably be fine in this engine, even though it does not carry the VW 502.00 rating required for this engine (it does meet the very stringent MB 229.51 gas engine spec).

A even better oil for this engine would be the Mobil 1, 0w-40, which is a VW 502.00 and ACEA A3, rated product and is optimized for use in gas engines. I'd have no reservations about running 10,000+ miles on the Mobil 1 product in the 2.0L, non-turbo engine. I've owned several gas engine Jettas going back to 1985 and ran synthetic (Amsoil) in all of them. I was running 12,000-15,000 mile change intervals (supported by oil analysis) with very good results.

The other off the shelf gas engine oil which is very good is the 0w-30, Castrol Syntec, European Formula, which meets the VW 502.00 spec. Again, no issues with running 10k changes in the 2.0L, VW gas engine using the 0w-30.

This engine takes a spin on oil filter with a very high bypass opening pressure - something like 30 psid. So I'd stick to an OEM German oil filter if you can find them. I used to order the MANN oil filters three at a time from Blauparts.com up in WI, but you can probably find them locally outside of a dealer parts department.

TS

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The spec for that engine is 5w40, 502.00, 10k mile intervals. Most any 5w40 oil that meets the 505.00 (VE diesel) spec will also meet the 502.00 spec.

The owner's manual will have this info.

I would also use a good filter, Mann, Mahle, Hengst...

Keep in mind that AEG engine is notorious for oil consumption, so keep extra oil on hand and use the dipstick often.

halocline

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
When I bought my 2000 passat gasser, the P.O. had been using conventional oil. When I switched to Mobil 5W30, (I think that was the weight) the oil light started coming on at idle on hot days. This was the 1.8T engine. So, I had the oil pump replaced, a little sludge cleaned out of the oil pan, and it fixed the problem. I wondered if running conventional oil, probably a thicker base weight, had caused some wear in the oil pump which then allowed the oil pressure at idle to drop enough to trip the light. It was an annoyance.

oEo

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf TDi PD ::Indigo Blue::
Keep in mind that AEG engine is notorious for oil consumption, so keep extra oil on hand and use the dipstick often.
Tell me about it. Mine ran dry driving from Lancaster to Pittsburgh. (the car was full of oil to start the trip) I was glad I got rear-ended on New Years Eve later that same year! :eek:

Last edited:

FL/COtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Thanks for all the replies and info. Im helping a Jetta friend from work just because its good to do so. Im glad to know my help is backed up with the knowledge from here.

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
The Mobil 1, 5w-30/10w-30 (API/SM), are about 20% too thin to meet the VW 502 specification for high temp, high shear rate viscosity. Use of a thin oil in older VW's & Audi's can cause the oil pressure light to flicker if you drop down to idle after a long run on the highway and your oil temps are elevated.

There are very few XW-30 oils formulated thick enough to meet VW 502 or ACEA A3/B3. I think one reason why VW specs a 0w-40 or 5w-40 is to minimize the chance of the wrong lube being used.

FL/COtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Thanks, I will be sure to ask how hard this car is to be driven. It sounds like this oil will be OK if the car is not in the habit of WOT? I have two cases of this oil and since I put in DG smaller micron oil filter it might be in my garage for awhile. I was going to give some of it to my friend for free.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
Last edited:

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
The Mobil 1, 5w-30/10w-30 (API/SM), are about 20% too thin to meet the VW 502 specification for high temp, high shear rate viscosity. Use of a thin oil in older VW's & Audi's can cause the oil pressure light to flicker if you drop down to idle after a long run on the highway and your oil temps are elevated.

There are very few XW-30 oils formulated thick enough to meet VW 502 or ACEA A3/B3. I think one reason why VW specs a 0w-40 or 5w-40 is to minimize the chance of the wrong lube being used.
German Castrol 0W-30 ?

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
The API/CJ-4 oils also meet the SM spec for domestic & Asian engines. However most European motors with turbos and/or longer service intervals require a more robust oil. The latter typically start with the generic ACEA "A3/B4" spec and then add OEM requirements - in this case VW 502.00/505.01.

The 2.0L, 115 Hp VW engine is probably their least demanding powertrain in terms of oil selection. However I'd still run an ACEA or VW Spec oil if you plan on using 10,000 mile/16,000 km, service intervals. This engine only holds ~ 4L of oil and fuel consumption is significantly higher than a TDI, so the oil will become contaminated more quickly.

TS

RalphVa

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
The 5w40 ESP would be fine, but Mobil 1 0w30 will provide a mileage increase. It did on our 240D. Went from the 5w40 Mobil 1 to 0w30 and got a mileage increase.

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
The Mobil 1, 0w-30 is an excellent product, but it's a thinner, ACEA "A1/B1" product and it's about 20% too thin (in terms of HT/HS viscosity) to meet the VW 502.00/505.00 specification for this gas engine VW. The best Mobil 1 product to use here is their 0w-40, European Formula, which meets the correct ACEA & VW specs and is formulated (with a TBN ~ 11.0), for extended service intervals. This would also be the correct Mobil 1 product for an older Mercedes or BMW....

TS

Cool Breeze

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 335D
I can't think of one manufacturer which uses a Low/Mid SAPs oil in anything other than their diesels (no ethanol). The TBN for these oils is too low for the long OCI that you're looking for.

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Actually, the current VW 502.00/505.01 oils are all mid "SAPS" now and are based on the generic ACEA C3-08 Spec.... That's why the ZDDP levels are lower and the TBN's are about 7.0-8.0.
C3-08:
Ash <0.8%
P < 900 ppm (if it also meets MB 229.51 the P limit is 800 ppm)
Sulfur <0.3% (<0.2% for MB 229.51)
TS

Last edited:

Cool Breeze

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 335D
Actually, the current VW 502.00/505.01 oils are all mid "SAPS" now and are based on the generic ACEA C3-08 Spec.... That's why the ZDDP levels are lower and the TBN's are about 7.0-8.0.
C3-08:
Ash <0.8%
P < 900 ppm (if it also meets MB 229.51 the P limit is 800 ppm)
Sulfur <0.3% (<0.2% for MB 229.51)
TS
And some VW gassers use the 505.01 spec? If so, that's very interesting.

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
They use VW 502.00, which is coupled with VW 505.01 in a dual use product. This is what 95% of VW/Audi dealers are installing.

TS

oilhammer

TDI
No, what he is saying is that there are some VAG gas engines that specifically state to use 505.01. The Audi RS6 engine for example. This is why the Audi dealers in the USA carried Castrol TXT when it was available. There were no TDIs sold at Audi dealers here then.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
No, what he is saying is that there are some VAG gas engines that specifically state to use 505.01. The Audi RS6 engine for example. This is why the Audi dealers in the USA carried Castrol TXT when it was available. There were no TDIs sold at Audi dealers here then.
Yup, here in the US, 505.01 superseded 503.01. (503.01 is the hi-po gasser Audi spec).

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Well, the VW 502.00 spec is rather dated; I think it goes back to the late 1990's? In addition, it only requires testing for wear & deposits in the 2.0L, non-turbo engine. That's certainly not representative of the multi-valve, turbocharged and/or DI engines in most of the current VW/Audi line up. Since the low SAPS, VW 504.00 oils aren't being recommended for North America, it almost seems like VW could use an improved gas engine oil spec.

TS

oilhammer

TDI
The turbo gas engines don't seem to have much troubles with oils meeting 502.00 (although I admit those oils also meet 505.00 and sometimes 505.01, like the Pentosin HP2 we use here). But boy they will tooef in a hurry with Jiffy Pube oils. :p

Oh, and VAG had mutivalve turbo engines in 1995 (1996 model year). They are hardly 'new'. The FSI engines have been around for 10 years now, too (just not here).