:( Wrecked my 10 jsw and more ...

shutterfly

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
"Impulse is evil"
I was in a rush to pick up a big screen TV despite the super heavy rain, and that was how everything started.
I hit a pole in a parking lot @~3mph. I didn't even see it until it already happened. At first it looked and drove fine, and then check engine light came on, then the glow plug, and then the DPF light... I called VW service right away and advised to keep going since I was only a couple of miles away from home.
I was able to have a clearer look the second morning, and the damage was appalling although it still looked almost all fine from outside. The 3mph impact pushed the whole radiator/condenser assembly inward enough to stuck the condenser fan with A/C hose; under liner was stripped off.. And I realized I need to call the dealer right away...
Days later, the final repair quote came, they ended up replacing the bumper, radiator/condenser & fans, A/C hose, plus a lot of other parts. Total bill added up to $3k+.
Another surprise was, the whole VWNA didn't even have a single radiator in stock and they ended up letting the car sit in the shop for 2 weeks waiting for the part to came from Germany! (I am in the supply chain business and to me it's UNACCEPTABLE to have such a common part out of stock.)
They finally put everything back on Thursday and during the test drive they found the DPF was damaged in the impact too! The dealer will have to again order the part and the mechanic will have to take off the "remove the whole front end" simply to replace the DPF.
This just epitomized (1) how stupid I was to go out against heavy rain for a non-urgent matter; (2) what a poor job VW is doing maintaining its supply chain; (3) the wonderful anti-service/maintenance design on VW vehicles. (I worked on Toyota, Nissian, Honda, and older VWs before, and when it comes to maintenance&repair, VWs is the worst)

Having been ranting so long, I have decided to install front&back parking sensor and just wonder if anyone else here has already done so? I have "test" installed a $30 system from ebay on my GF's Accord (ha, my lab rat) it works perfectly.
Thanks!

Last edited:

westface

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Funniest letter in Car & Driver I ever read was something like this (it was 15 years ago so don't nitpick the maintenance stuff):

"I was having a problem with my ______ so I called the VW parts department to check if they had the belt in stock. They told me you can't just replace that belt you have to remove the ______ and change all the belts and the total would be $400. I couldn't believe it. Now that I know what Fahrvergnugen really means I'm a little suprised they let 'em say it on TV."

TuningIn

TDI
Sold the 2010 JSW
shutterfly said:
"Impulse is evil"
I was in a rush to pick up a big screen TV despite the super heavy rain, and that was how everything started.
I hit a pole in a parking lot @~3mph. I didn't even see it until it already happened. At first it looked and drove fine, and then check engine light came on, then the glow plug, and then the DPF light... I called VW service right away and advised to keep going since I was only a couple of miles away from home.
I was able to have a clearer look the second morning, and the damage was appalling although it still looked almost all fine from outside. The 3mph impact pushed the whole radiator/condenser assembly inward enough to stuck the condenser fan with A/C hose; under liner was stripped off.. And I realized I need to call the dealer right away...
Days later, the final repair quote came, they ended up replacing the bumper, radiator/condenser & fans, A/C hose, plus a lot of other parts. Total bill added up to $3k+.
Another surprise was, the whole VWNA didn't even have a single radiator in stock and they ended up letting the car sit in the shop for 2 weeks waiting for the part to came from Germany! (I am in the supply chain business and to me it's UNACCEPTABLE to have such a common part out of stock.)
They finally put everything back on Thursday and during the test drive they found the DPF was damaged in the impact too! The dealer will have to again order the part and the mechanic will have to take off the "remove the whole front end" simply to replace the DPF.
This just epitomized (1) how stupid I was to go out against heavy rain for a non-urgent matter; (2) what a poor job VW is doing maintaining its supply chain; (3) the wonderful anti-service/maintenance design on VW vehicles. (I worked on Toyota, Nissian, Honda, and older VWs before, and when it comes to maintenance&repair, VWs is the worst)

Having been ranting so long, I have decided to install front&back parking sensor and just wonder if anyone else here has already done so? I have "test" installed a $30 system from ebay on my GF's Accord (ha, my lab rat) it works perfectly.
Thanks!
I've owned and worked on those Japanese makes before and I would definitely say that maintenance is not easier on those. For example, I remember changing oil filters on Civics and Accords on different occasions. If the car weren't on a lift, you'd need an arm with two elbows because you'd definitely burn yourself on the exhaust, since the oil filter is on the backside of the engine and half way up the block, you'd have to reach through it to get to it. All of the VW oil filters I've changed, right behind the bumper.

Yes our engine compartments are tight as are any other compact car. They have a lot of components and technology, plus a relatively large engine in there, which means taking out some stuff to get to parts that are deeper in the car.

If you don't like the way VW designs things, maybe you should sell your VW and go get a Japanese car instead.

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW, 2012 Passat TDI SE
"Impulse is evil"
Sorry to hear about your accident. It is not too surprising that VOA does not have a radiator in stock. I was driving my brand new GMC Envoy (three days old) and got smashed in the rear end. The damage was about $6k. It took the dealer 5 weeks to get all the parts because the car was so new.

What happened to you is the NORM, not anything unusual. As much as it sucks. :(

shutterfly

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Not yet.
The insurance company is going to mail me another list with the new repairs. I will keep you posted.

So, no one has installed parking sensors yet? Seems I will be the first one then. I will take photo and share with you guys then.

bruce846 said:
Shutterfly: Any costs on the DPF repair yet... if I may ask?

shutterfly

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Bruce,
I called insurance company, the ticket for the DPF is $1,600. I am not sure if that includes the labor or not.
Furthermore, dealer called another day and told me they were not able to take off a sensor on the DPF and they would have to order a sensor too.
I don't have any information how much that sensor costs and this repair is already into its 7th week and the car is still in the shop....

Shutterfly: Any costs on the DPF repair yet... if I may ask?

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
That sure seems like an extensive amount of damage for a 3 mph hit. Not sure how a pole could damage something midway under the car? Regardless, sorry for your misfortune...

shutterfly

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Yes. It was 3mph. The car was on 1st gear.
Today I went to the dealer and saw the second repair bill: $2,800, it doesn't have the details break-down, but it includes the diesel particulate filter and a sensor attached to it. With the first one running at $3,300, the it cost my insurance company $6,100-$500 (my deductible) to clear the consequence of this 3mph impact.
The service adviser had no idea how on earth this 3mph impact would cause such an immense damage.

You were going 3MPH?

How fast was the pole moving?!

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Did you get the inadvisable Balsa Wood Frame option? :D
<grin>

In all seriousness, I think his problem is that he hit a pole and not a another car. I fear he also hit it near the center of the car. Most car front ends are designed for impacts spread over a larger area. He probably hit in only one narrow spot, and it was probably at a vulnerable spot (like between supporting structures). Therefore the "cave-in" was deeper in a single spot, so it had a greater impact on the engine and other under-the-hood bits. There is more crumpleable (impact absorbing) mass along sides of the engine than in the center. A 3mph impact all across the front or at a front corner probably would not have caused this expensive engine/dpf damage. Just a theory, but I can't imagine damage that far in in a 3mph impact with a brick wall (as an example).

Have Fun!

Don