BP/Amoco Diesel Premium Map? anyone???

Turbospool

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 White TDI Jetta, 280k, 2003 jetta 270k
I've tried and simply cannot get a map indicating where these great stations can be found? Anyone help?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Spool, would it make sense for you to contact BP directly if there is something highly specific you are searching for? I'd bet they can guide you ;)

b4black

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta blue
I just spoke to someone at BP. They have two premium diesels, Amoco Premier and BP Diesel Supreme. They are basically the same, but the names go back to their heritages. Diesel Supreme is from the Sohio days and is only available in Ohio. Premier was Amoco's premium diesel and is available in the midwest and the Virgina/Maryland area. Both are mainly used by farmers and construction, so it's very difficult to find them at gas stations. It's up to the owner of the station to decide what to carry.

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
When I contacted them a while back regarding, I was told the same. Very limited market and even some stations have inadvertantly applied the stickers to pumps that don't have the fuel, so.

Turbospool

Veteran Member
TDI
b4black said:
I just spoke to someone at BP. They have two premium diesels, Amoco Premier and BP Diesel Supreme. They are basically the same, but the names go back to their heritages. Diesel Supreme is from the Sohio days and is only available in Ohio. Premier was Amoco's premium diesel and is available in the midwest and the Virgina/Maryland area. Both are mainly used by farmers and construction, so it's very difficult to find them at gas stations. It's up to the owner of the station to decide what to carry.
Ok,....... thanks, it's kind of a bummer though. DC. is too far to go for me to find this good stuff to be worth any savings. Guess I'm stuck living in the wrong part of the country for daily use.:(

Turbospool

Veteran Member
TDI
Turbospool said:
Ok,....... thanks, it's kind of a bummer though. DC. is too far to go for me to find this good stuff to be worth any savings. Guess I'm stuck living in the wrong part of the country for daily use.:(
I'll add this since I may have found some after all. In charlottesville, Barracks rd. BP Amoco station posts 47 cetane min, premium fuel. They simply cannot verify if this is true or simply bygone sticker? :(

Der Hasselhoff

TDI
2011 Golf TDi
I just spoke to someone at BP. They have two premium diesels, Amoco Premier and BP Diesel Supreme. [...] Both are mainly used by farmers and construction, so it's very difficult to find them at gas stations. It's up to the owner of the station to decide what to carry.
I find it hard to believe that BP can't track which stations certain grades of fuels are delivered. I may have to try to track down who's in the know at BP, as I'd like to be able to run fuel with the recommended cetane and bio levels and I'm sure they'd love to charge me the premium.

pennstatejeff

TDI
2006 Jetta w/Pkg 1
Has anyone had any luck verifying which brands provide premium diesel as an option to service stations carrying their logo? Gearhead mentions a Hess station selling cetane 45, but my local Hess (West Chester, PA - outside Phila) posts the pump as 40. It's pretty amazing that gasoline pumps regularly post the octane level but most diesel pumps do NOT post the cetane. Maybe we need to lobby Congress to... Never mind, they're too busy "texting."

KonaJack

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW Golf
According to the BP website, BP Premier/Supreme provides no extra lubricity (still rated at 520) -just extra Cetane rating; so for those of us wanting to protect our HPFP from extra wear they are no better than standard diesel. An additive, some biofuel or a brand that does provide lubricity scar-wear rating down to (say 460) is still needed - at least for me. I've been adding Opti-Lube XPD since the very first tank - the dealer tech graciously provided some of his supply when I asked. The additives won't protect against contaminated or bad fuel but will at least provide me with the knowledge that I'm supplying the car with no more than 460 scar-rated fuel as Bosch recommends and which is universally supplied in Europe and perhaps Canada.

KonaJack

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW Golf
Here is a portion of the Joint Manfacturers Statement issued in 2009: Bosch was one of the signatory's. It's rather sobering for those of us in the U.S.

"It is essential that the lubricity of the fuel as measured by the HFRR test specified in ISO 12156-1 meets the requirement of a wear scar diameter not greater than 460 microns. In addition, it is recommended by the Diesel FIE manufacturers, that “first fill” of the fuel tank should be with fuel with good lubricity characteristics (HFRR < 400 μm) in order to guarantee good “run-in” of the injection system components. The US diesel specification (ASTM D 975-09) includes a lubricity value of 520 μm maximum (according to ASTM D 6079). It is expected that the useful operating lifetime of any mechanical component will be adversely affected by fuel with a lubricity exceeding 460 microns."

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I just posted this in another thread, but it might be useful here:
If you're persistant, you might get lucky. Ask the station manager/owner where he gets his fuel. He might be willing to put you in contact with the fuel distributor. They might be willing to give you the information you want.
I found a BP/Amoco in No. VA that had a 50 cetane sticker on the pump. I asked about it, learned the distributor was Eastern Petroleum (301 858 5735), spoke with someone there, and he was very candid about the fuel he distributed, claimng that Ohio valley BP/Amoco Premier Diesel had a HFRR 460 rating, but in our region it was HFRR 520 (go figure!). As for the cetane, he claimed it was indeed correct, at 50, for this particular station. Within a week, the sticker at the station was removed, and a 45 sticker was put up.

Bottom line: unless you're taking samples every time fuel is delivered, there's no way to determine what's coming out of the pump nozzle. Fuel quality/specs are regionally regulated, and like the seafood/agric. industry, there aren't enough inspectors to get around to every station for every delivery.

There are those here that have screamed about making the industry PROVE what they're serving up. Good luck making that happen. Just as with most aspects of public life, it's largely an honor system.

I buy my fuel from a BP/Amoco station, 47 cetane on the pump. I juice it with OptiLube XPD (4 oz). Car starts w/o any clatter, only had one "cold-start scare", I get --- MPG when going downhill, so it must be the best fuel on the planet. On the road, I buy name-brand, from busy stations.

I have no idea what I'm talking about , not one bit of proof that any of it is correct, except I've had no fuel-related issues with a combined 70k miles. I just made all this up based on my experience. You'll have to trust me that it's true...or not!:D:eek::eek:

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)
I've been adding Opti-Lube XPD since the very first tank - the dealer tech graciously provided some of his supply when I asked. The additives won't protect against contaminated or bad fuel but will at least provide me with the knowledge that I'm supplying the car with no more than 460 scar-rated fuel as Bosch recommends and which is universally supplied in Europe and perhaps Canada.
KonaJack you live in a Bio Diesel mandate state (Ill) and so does PennStateJeff (PA). I understand the use of additives as a sort of insurance policy for your large investment, but I don't think Lubricity is as large of a concern in BioD states.

Last edited:

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
According to the BP website, BP Premier/Supreme provides no extra lubricity (still rated at 520) -just extra Cetane rating; so for those of us wanting to protect our HPFP from extra wear they are no better than standard diesel. An additive, some biofuel or a brand that does provide lubricity scar-wear rating down to (say 460) is still needed - at least for me. I've been adding Opti-Lube XPD since the very first tank - the dealer tech graciously provided some of his supply when I asked. The additives won't protect against contaminated or bad fuel but will at least provide me with the knowledge that I'm supplying the car with no more than 460 scar-rated fuel as Bosch recommends and which is universally supplied in Europe and perhaps Canada.
This is not completely accurate. BP supreme does claim a 460 micron max wear scar.
http://mybpstation.com/fuels/diesel/bp-supreme/

It is true that Amoco Premier does not.

resinguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, Silver
I find it hard to believe that BP can't track which stations certain grades of fuels are delivered. I may have to try to track down who's in the know at BP, as I'd like to be able to run fuel with the recommended cetane and bio levels and I'm sure they'd love to charge me the premium.

I wish you luck. Back in 2002 - 2004 I made many calls into BP for that info. One guy sent me a list of all BP stations that sold diesel. It was so full of errors as to be useless. They could not supply a list of stations carrying the good stuff. We just informed the community here when we found some. Maybe it's different now.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
This is not completely accurate. BP supreme does claim a 460 micron max wear scar.
http://mybpstation.com/fuels/diesel/bp-supreme/

It is true that Amoco Premier does not.
Last time I checked with a DC area fuel distributor, he quoted the same off his own spec sheet. He also read to me that the BP Supreme (460 HFRR) is only available in the Ohio valley region. The DC area gets the Amoco Premier (HFRR 520).