Both Key FOBs capput!!

whyfish

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW TDI Wagon auto. transmission
My daughter's 1999.5 new Jetta gasser has experienced a Key FOB malfunction. We have 2 Key FOBs and niether one will re-programm when I insert the key into the door lock and press the "un-lock" button or when I press the "lock" button.

Does anyone have any idea what might have happened. Dreading the though of having to take it to the dealer for re-programming.

whyfish

Veteran Member
TDI
That was my first thought, (dead batteries) so I bought new batteries for both FOBs, changed them out and still no help. I've been told that one can loose the FOB programming when the batteries are changed. Great!!

Had to take it to the dealer this morning. Waiting to find out how much of my Holiday budget will be spent to fix the problem. Even my VW mechanic suggested it might be dealership time.

RT1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI w/tiptronic 09A
Fob won't lose it's memory with a battery change. I wonder if the problem is the micro switch on the door lock mechanism. PITA to get to but it's a $5.00 repair versus the dealer solution of replacing the whole lock mechanism$$$

blakusta

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Mine doesn't work anymore either.....it s not the door micro switch for the door if you can turn the key and still set the alarm. If the car thinks the door is open it won't set the alarm. I tried reprogramming and new batteries as well, nothing helped. Please post again if you get any answers

whyfish

Veteran Member
TDI
Got Some Info from Dealer Service

It turns out it was a faulty fuse. Replaced the fuse, re-programmed the 2 FOBs. $300. Ouch!!

once they had me all greased up and happy for the quick repair the Service Manager bends me over and hits me with the following list of items that should be addressed immediately!!!, or you will die in a firery crash on the interstate!!

Faulty door switch mechanism: Parts and Labor $375 (replace entire door swich mechanism) No way!! a $5 dollar part and a PITA to access.
Check Engine Light is on: Faluty Evap Sensor; Parts and Labor: $275
Coolant Temp sensor malfunctioning; Parts and Labor: $225

So, it's off to my local independent import car parts shop, who sells VW OEM parts for a third of they cost at the stealer. And have my local independent mechanic perform the work for about $100 in labor, tops. Or so he says.

Appreciate all of the comments and suggestions. Damn Stealerships!!

TDITALIAN

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, Slv, 5 spd 1999.5 Silver Jetta Sedan 5spd
My daughter's 1999.5 new Jetta gasser has experienced a Key FOB malfunction. We have 2 Key FOBs and niether one will re-programm when I insert the key into the door lock and press the "un-lock" button or when I press the "lock" button.

Does anyone have any idea what might have happened. Dreading the though of having to take it to the dealer for re-programming.
Fish I had the same problem while changing the batteries on both fobs from a 1999.5 jetta. 1 would work while the other did not. Almost went to dealer to replace for a new one @ $80 + $60 to program. Thanks for the tip about resetting in keyhole. That took care of the problem. The people on this forum are so knowledgable!!

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Lol different car but mine will unlock the car from 50 metres away but plays up if I'm standing next to the car, press, press, press, press and finally unlock successful.:)

Daekar

Veteran Member
In a Holler next to A Cow Field, Virginia, USA
TDI
White 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
I'm having something similar happen. The lock and hatch buttons on my key work (2003 model) but recently the unlock button has stopped working even when I'm right next to the car. I'm thinking the button must've gone bad, but don't really have any concrete reason. Do you think reprogramming would help?

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Temporary Insanity?

Well, my wife called me a couple of hours ago (from Montreal)... neither one of the KeyFobs would unlock the doors and she had to manually use the key...

A couple of hours later, everything's back to normal...

I was thinking the batteries had died, but... why did they both stop at the same time?

Yuri