odd heater smell

biorama

TDI
2002 golf gls gold
I am a new member with a new to me 2002 Golf GLS TDI with 42000 miles. The car is wonderful to drive and the economy is brilliant. I love almost every aspect of the car, except for one thing. When the heater gets warm, the air emanating from the car starts to smell somewhat chemical. It is hard to be specific about the smell, I have read on VW vortex that many people have found that their 2001 model Golfs, Jettas Beetles have a melted crayola crayon smell that comes when the car is left in the warm sun or when the heater is on. Melted wax might be the smell but I am not sure. I have also read one e-mail post indicating that VW might have sprayed anti corrosive agents in the floor boards that let off this smell when warm. The smell is definately hard to deal with and I find myself driving with the windows open often, none too bright during the winter in Vermont. Is anyone out there familiar with this problem, and more importantly, do they have a solution.

Thanks for the help

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Open your hood and look to the left at your globe-shaped bottle of G12 coolant. Crack it open and smell it. Same smell?

----if so, ------->bad heater core.

biorama

TDI
2002 golf gls gold
Right now it is -5 F and you can't smell really well outside. If a heater core was bad, would it still let out heat, because the car gets warm. How does the coolent smell get into a heater core? The car is under warrenty, would I ask the dealer to do a check on the heater core, if so, what kind of check would this be. Also, could I have some ready answers for them if they try to tell me I am crazy and that all VW diesel heaters smell like that.

Thanks for the reply

biorama

TDI
2002 golf gls gold
One more thing about the bad heater core problem. If it was a bad heater core, wouldn't the windows fog up and possibly steam or smoke come from the vents, that is what I gather happens when the coolent leaks into the system. I do not have any of these symptoms.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
sorry, I've been upgrading my computer and unable to browse the forum. Since you're under warranty, don't worry about having answers, just make the dealer fix it...whatever it is.

A heater core can develop pin prick leaks, making an awefull smell but still heat the interior. I'd just take it in to have it checked. I don't know what else could cause a horrible smell, and you haven't been very specific...

'Chemical smell' can mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people. It's hard to help you based on this observation alone. Can you describe it better?

Could it just be 'new car smell'?

Whatever you do, don't pay one dime for any of the repair work just yet.

fredb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003/golf gl blue tdi auto
stopped to help a woman on I 89 in randolph vt
a few months ago It appeared the interior of her car was on fire but was only steam from a busted core.If this is your problem it could get worse fast. be careful .
Don't get stuck in 20 below.. this woman could not see and
was forced to abandon her saab.

biorama

TDI
2002 golf gls gold
I have been looking for leaks in the coolent but it does not seem to be dropping at all from the tank. I am starting to think the smell is coming from either the carpet or the foam under the dashboard. I think the crayola smell that I have read about elsewhere is the smell I am smelling. I will have the dealer do a check on the system when I do the 45k service and will watch for steaming windows. The smell is definately not the same as the coolent and is not as steamy. My newest attempt to eradicate it is to put dryer sheets under the floor mats. I will keep those interested informed on the results. Thanks for the ideas of forum members, I find the site extremely useful.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
The smell is definately not the same as the coolent and is not as steamy.
Ahh, good you cleared that possibility out of the way. It's a long one to fix.

I will keep those interested informed on the results. Thanks for the ideas of forum members, I find the site extremely useful.
Good. I'd especially like to know what VW offers. I'm guessing they'll offer no solution to the crayola smell, but you never know...

peteman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI 504 000 km and 2003 Golf TDI 225 000 km
I know my car has a nice funk. However, this is due to the unusually warm temps we are experiencing, +1 celsius. My carpets under my rubber mats are quite fresh. I have removed the mats to allow the carpets to dry.