www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old December 16th, 2004, 14:46   #1
JMD
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 61.73/52/40.34
Default Replacement Tires- Michelin Harmony?

It looks like I am going to need to replace my OEM Continentals soon. I have done some preliminary research and the Michelin Harmony seems like a good, all season radial. Does anyone have any experience with these tires or have a suggestion for another good all season tire?...My OEM's have about 36,000 miles on them. Has anyone with these Continentals gotten significantly more tread life?
JMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2004, 15:06   #2
wbill
Veteran Member

Default Re: Replacement Tires- Michelin Harmony?

I just got in a set of BF Goodrich Traction T/A's to replace my OEM Continentals I won't get a chance to put them on until Sat. They seem to do well in all the information I found.

My Continentals were starting to get a little thin close to the wear bars on the fronts and not doing well in the rain
let alone if we see any snow down here in VA. Same milage as you.
wbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2004, 16:07   #3
thortdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/49/52

Funny - I just had gotten 4 new Michelin Harmony's on my Jetta yesterday.

So far, so good. No complaints yet - paid $80 a piece for them including everything, plus $35 for a new set of wheel locks, as some of the old ones were seized, just like literally anything with a thread on this car

Compared to the Goodyears that were on the car when I bought it (pre-owned), they roll a bit smoother and less noisy on the Interstate at 60-80mph.
Looks like a good 80k mile tire to me !
thortdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2004, 04:46   #4
Torlin
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44/42/39

Tires... everyone has an opinion!

I have Harmony's on my Toyota Avalon and like them fine.
I have Bridgestone Turanza's on my Golf and they are the best yet that I've had on the car. Wearing very, very well and ride fine.

Oilhammer really likes Michelin's and is a fan of Harmony's I believe.
Torlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2004, 07:59   #5
jettanight

Fuel Economy: 45 winter 50 summmer

I bought the Harmony's a year ago and now have 35k on them. They ride good and are quiet. I'd say the tread is 50% gone. Last year they were good in the snow, probably won't be as good this year. I paid a bit more than $80 a piece, though!
jettanight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2004, 08:47   #6
TDIDarryl
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.2

I'll second the Bridgestone Turanza's. Very quiet and great ride.

FYI the Michelin Harmony tires only have a load rating of 89 vs. the VW recommended 91. Something to consider if you make trips with a fully loaded car.
TDIDarryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2004, 08:52   #7
Hamsterdiesel
Veteran Member & HO5G CoFounder

Fuel Economy: 49/47.5 - 51 mpg once!

Bridgestone Potenza RE950's

Best tires I have ever had - "Rain, what rain??"

55K mi on them and just now thinking about replacements...will DEFINITELY get these again!
Hamsterdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2004, 20:49   #8
JMD
Veteran Member

Thanks for your opinions, guys. Check out the review below from the Tire Rack. I will end up getting about half the mileage from the OEM Continentals that this guy did:

Continental ContiTouringContact CH95 - (Grand Touring All-Season)

2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T Reviewer's
Overall
Rating:

Miles driven on tires: 70,000

Driving Condition: Mostly Highway
Driving Style: Average

Have these tires on since day 1 of my car and having been driving on these for 70K+ miles, I am buying them again when I replace the original tires. --Review submitted: 2004-12-02
Old January 4th, 2005, 11:41   #9
JMD
Veteran Member

For those of you using the Michelin Harmony, what tire pressure are you running with? My inclination is to go with the same pressure as my old Continentals, about 36psi.
Old January 4th, 2005, 17:55   #10
Ghoulie
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48 to 51 depends on my mood

Take a good look @ AVON Tyres!!! Not well known in the states, but a damn good tire from Great Britain. Excellent price for High Performance rubber, under $80 per. I've got the AVON Tech M500's. They rate higher than the GoodYear Eagle RS-A, Bridgestone RE750 & Yokohama AVS ES100.
Ghoulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2005, 18:52   #11
Blair
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '00 Jetta

Michelin is now making THe Hydro edge.. It's an all season tire and got them on my car ... Works great or me
Blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2005, 19:00   #12
GeWilli
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: you keep track?

Well.... i've got the Turanza LS-H... good tire - very quiet, better than the original MXV4s? no but they don't squeal and grip really well.

I might try the LS-T for the hell of it next time, just cause they are cheaper and hopefully i'll get 60+ out of these and that'll put the car close to 250,000 miles ODO and well with a 1/4 million miles i should be using high performance tires.... or should i -MooooWAHAHAHAHAHA-

tires change so much - all i can offer at this point is i'm not quite sold on the lS-H tires.
GeWilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2005, 21:07   #13
MilenP
Veteran Member

Quote:
Bridgestone Potenza RE950's

Best tires I have ever had - "Rain, what rain??"

I second that . My Michelins were the worst tires on wet and snow .
MilenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 04:48   #14
WillR
Veteran Member

I bought a set of Michelins several years ago. I think they were X-1's or something like that. They had a 80K mile tread warantee. After about 50K they were so feathered they were useless. sounded like a 4wd with monster mudders on it. I know, "should have rotated them more".

Next set were Kumho 732's They have 30K on them and still have another 15K left worth of tread. Nice tires for $37.00. I did distroy one when a piece of metal got kicked up by my front tire, and went through the side wall of the rear tire on its way past. I like the Kumho's so much I put a set on my wifes SUV.
WillR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 10:06   #15
ruking
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 62/50/44mpg, normal commute range 48-52 mpg:09 Jetta TDI, 47/43/39, normal commute range 39 -43 mpg: 12 Touareg TDI, 39/31/29 mpg:

For a curious reason Continental ch95's (oem) have a 60,000 mile warranty. The oem Michelins and Goodyears DO NOT! So if you are at 36,000 miles you might have a prorate due for 24,000 miles!?

Both the H and the T are very highly rated! On the tire rack's web site, the Turanza LS-T (73)(195/65/15) actually has slightly better ratings than the Bridgestone Turanza LS-H (96.)!! As you have pointed out, the LST (at 73.) is FAR cheaper (24%).

The Bridgestone LS-T has a literally awesome warranty of 80,000 miles and has a 30 day FREE test drive.

However, if you factor that the Bridgestone LS-H has a 50,000 mile warranty (and corresponding 30 day FREE test drive), then in my estimation it clearly tilts in favor of the LS-T.

So if you only get 50k vs 80k (or vice versa) respectively, then you are talking of an additional 30k miles or 38% MORE wear. This meets my standard of BANG for the BUCK!?

So current research for me puts three T rated tires head to head:
1. Bridgestone LS-T
2. Goodyear Comfort Tread
3. Goodyear Triple Tread.

I have app 7-8 tires on my H rated tire list. I can post those if you/others are interested.

As a point of reference the H has a speed rating of 130 mph, the T is at 118 mph. The other rating is 91 (H)1356 #'s max load vs 89 (T)1279 #'s max load = 77#'s.

So,
1. if one does not tend to over load a vehicle where 77#s REALLY makes a difference, (no big deal is the translation)

2. and you do not have an average speed of between 118-130 mph (12 mph) for hours on end,

3. the tire should cost 24% cheaper

4. the tire should last 38% longer

the switch to a T rating might have a few advantages.

For me,the Bridestone LS-T came up on the radar for it is available in the size I need for a Honda Civic 185/70/14.(63.)
ruking is online now   Reply With Quote