What is so special about VW's sunroof grease?!?

TDIinRI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GOLF silver
What is so special about VW\'s sunroof grease?!?

Hi all,

The 20K mile service requires one to "lubricate" the sunroof rails. I have tried and tried to determine which lubricant is the proper lubricant to use to do this. According to the Bentley, it is VW part # G 000 450 02, which is available at the dealer. Impex carries it also, at a cost of $25.55 for a 90 gramme tube, which is cheaper than the dealer mind you! I want to maintain the sunroof properly b/c they are a b!tch to fix (and usually) expensive once they break. However, this stuff is CRAZY expensive. What is so special about it? What kind of grease is it to warrant such a price? Are there cheaper alternatives that are just as good?

We have 3 VWs in the immediate family, all with sunroofs! At the 20K service on the Jetta, I used white lithium grease. It seems to collect too much dirt and I do not like the way the sunroof slides after a while. Awaiting the opinions and suggestions of the experts and novice alike!

Thanks, Tommy

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Re: What is so special about VW\'s sunroof grease?!?

Tommy, great question. Thanks for finding the P/N. You're right about traditional greases attracting way too much garbage and end up making the situation worse. I know Benz uses a unique S/R lube...I've got a big tub of it...prolly enough to do 100 cars. It's a clear, lo-viscosity lubricant...not really like any grease I've seen before. It does work and doesn't appear to attract too much junk and must be re-newed periodically.

Let us know what you find with the VW product.

Thx.

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE

I know Benz uses a unique S/R lube...I've got a bid tub of it...prolly enough to do 100 cars. It's a clear, lo-viscosity lubricant...not really like any grease I've seen before. It does work and doesn't appear to attract too much junk and must be re-newed periodically.
Big tub, aye? 100 cars, aye? Hmmm, maybe you should bring that to the next GTG!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI

J, I haven't used the stuff on the VW...yet ..

I'd like to compare it to the VW product and see if they are similar. A purist would never blend dis-similar products.

The Benz stuff gets applied with an incl. brush...it's not in a tube.

Pawel23

TDI
Jetta 2001 Silver

I learn something new everytime I visit this website. I didn't even know you had to grease up the sunroof. Find anything that works for good $???. Thanks

Pawel

MileageDude

Veteran Member

I've used this stuff. It's a wax that does not collect dirt of any sort. It's actually a bicycle chain wax for mountain bikes ...and mountain bikes collect alot of mud and dirt don't they?

It's great to lubricate all the sunroof parts ...but it's not cheap.

White Lightning
- Folding Knife and General Purpose Wax Lubricant
- Large 8oz Bottle
- Usually ships within 1-3 business day(s)
Please allow 10-14 days for US ground delivery.

A wax-based self-cleaning bike chain, folding knife, multi-tool, hobby and household lubricant that cleans and lubes, leaving a waterproof wax-lubricant shield with no staining oily residue. Cleans, Seals, Lubes and Protects. New knives work better than new, older knives work like new again. - Large 8oz Bottle

White Lightning loosens and cleans out embedded grit, leaving a waterproof wax lubricant shield.

- Keeps knives and tools working smooth, often smoother than when originally purchased.

Older knives feel and work like new again.

- Reduces wear by sealing out dirt, grit and water.

- No oily film to transfer to hands and clothing.

- Goes on wet for deep penetration.

- Dries quickly forming a low friction wax film.

- Seals out dirt and water, protecting close tolerance mechanisms from wear and corrosion.

- Will not attract or hold on to dirt.

8 fluid oz.

$11.99
Item# WL-KLUBE

RichC

Veteran Member
TDI
Others: 82 MB 300D Turbodiesel & 2010 BMW X5 35D
Re: What is so special about VW\'s sunroof grease?!

I'm not suggesting that this is equal to the product VW recommends, but I've found it is a good choice. Slick, longlasting and doesn't attract dirt.

http://www.boeshield.com

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI

<font color="blue"> Isn't Webasto the OEM for both DB and VW sunroofs? </font>

tdi_tim

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon

Does anyone know if there are particular spots in the sunroof mechanism that you're supposed to lube?

boardom

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon TDI PD - Beige/Black

I'd be hesistant to use White Lightning on anything really.. It's a quick fix at best on bikes, as all it does is just produce massive wax build-up.

Joe Fisher

Veteran Member
TDI
NA

Does anyone know if there are particular spots in the sunroof mechanism that you're supposed to lube?
I wonder the same thing...I've not lubed mine, I'm at about 52,000 miles, but I think I should when I get to 60k.

Joe Fisher

Veteran Member
TDI
NA

I'd be hesistant to use White Lightning on anything really.. It's a quick fix at best on bikes, as all it does is just produce massive wax build-up.
Done much desert riding? It's pretty much the only thing that will work in such dry climates. However, you're right, in wet area's it's not the greatest.

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k

Rich, thanks for the link to Boeshield. I just ordered a 4oz bottle.

Did you do any kind of prep to the tracks before applying?

Apply just to tracks or is there some place else to apply also?

Should I cycle the roof open & closed after applying before it's dry?

MileageDude

Veteran Member

White Lightening is by total means the only lubricant that should be used on bicycle chains, especially mountain bike chains. I know it's hard to comprehend. But any lubricant attacks dirt and eventually becomes not only dirt ridden but also contributes to wear by suspending dirt in crucial pivot points.

As for using White Lightening on a sunroof track and wax build up? White Lightening does not build up. If flakes off or is released as dirt is trapped in the channels.

I am not contesting what is best. I have been using White Lightening on sun roof rails in 4x4 vehicles before owning a Golf with a sunroof. I've never to date had any wax build up. I removed the grease lubricant off my Golf sunroof track rails from day one. I live near heavy construction here in NYC. Grit and sand blasting of buildings in the area left me with no alternative then to use White Lightening which ...does not attract or hold dirt.

So, call it ...my deal.

Sorry to have posted the info concerning it.

M.D.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI

MD, that White Lightening stuff looks kinda neat. I would assume better bike shops would have that.

The recommendation to use a bicycle/motorcycle chain lubricant is somewhat logical in that you are dealing with a very dirty environment so finding a lubricant that repels dirt makes much sense.

I may try cleaning the tracks on my Jetta this weekend and applying the MB paste. This jelly-like paste never appears to dry out. That tub I have is 6 + years old and the little brush that was included is covered with the lube and it sits out in the open...it's never dried out or changed consistency compared to the stuff in the sealed tub...
...even after all this time.

Is someone going to post a picture or diagram of the areas Bentley recommends cleaning/lubing?

Tanks.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI

DD,

What model and year?
DD, the Jetta? She's just your basic silver 2000 GLS.

DD

DareDiesel

Veteran Member

Hmm... My Bentley doesn't cover Jettas, just Passats. The only thing mentioned is:

"U-frame with guide channels. If necessary grease guide channels only with G 000 450 02 , otherwise function may be impaired. Do not use multi-purpose grease."

"if necessary" sounds very subjective to me.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Who knows? I'll have a look this weekend. I suspect the S/R mechanisms are similar between the different products.

On the Benzes, it was fairly easy to remove the entire S/R panel from the car so you could really get things properly cleaned up and lubed as needed.

DD, thanks for checking.

DD

MTB_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf MT indigo blue pearl 4 dr & '15 Touareg TDI

Done much desert riding? It's pretty much the only thing that will work in such dry climates. However, you're right, in wet area's it's not the greatest.
I have to admit, I have done a lot of desert riding and White Lightning works okay for that but when it gets really dusty it doesn't last long. And I must admit it does build up, but only if you never clean your chain.

When it is wet, use White Lightning RaceDay. It is much better for wet conditions. I use the dry lube for the mtn bike and the race day stuff for the road bike since it doesn't see much dust but does see the rain sometimes.

The T-9 Boeshield stuff is sold as a bike chain lube as well. I have wanted to try this and see if it is any good. I have heard from some that is excellent for chains.

Personally, I think if you clean your sunroof and lube it every 20K miles you could use grease and be fine as long as you clean the dang thing when you reapply the grease.

TDICa

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS Black

Quick question. What is the melting point of the white lighting and T-9 Boeshield? How will it hold up to the summer heat? The roof area can easily exceed 150F on a hot summer day.

MileageDude

Veteran Member

Quick question. What is the melting point of the white lighting and T-9 Boeshield? How will it hold up to the summer heat? The roof area can easily exceed 150F on a hot summer day.
That is an excellent point. Seeing I have a black Golf MKIV, my cousin has a black Golf MKIV and a silver 2003 Jetta Wagon ...I'd say that a black car out in the sun on a 95F-98F degree day would be an excellent indicator that White Lightening does not melt.

I've been using is two years [two summers] and Brian has been using it one summer.

No mishaps yet.

But that is an excellent question,

M.D.

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS, Indigo Blue

Now I have to check my sunroof rails...if it would only stop raining!

Gotta hit up a BMW dealer for some Gummi Phlege or whatever it's called.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI

before:

S/R slider mechanism:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI

there are three (3) U channels that need to be cleaned and lubed, refer to red arrows:

Hardened OE grease:

Have lots of Q tips and a couple sheets of paper towel available . I used "mineral spirits" as my cleaning solvent.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI

^

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI

thanks, Tim. For those preparing to do this maintenance, get yourself a small brush to apply or smear around the grease in those 3 channels. It makes things much easier and will prevent application of grease/lube to areas where it's not needed.

RichC

Veteran Member
TDI
Others: 82 MB 300D Turbodiesel & 2010 BMW X5 35D

Rich, thanks for the link to Boeshield. I just ordered a 4oz bottle.

Did you do any kind of prep to the tracks before applying?

Apply just to tracks or is there some place else to apply also?

Should I cycle the roof open & closed after applying before it's dry?
Sorry just now saw your post. I just clean the parts the best I can and lube. I'm using it on the door hinges and giving it a try on the rubber seals. (Don't tell anyone that as they'll probably tell me it is a stupid idea.)
I'm planning to wear my car out before the other stuff degrades anyway ... I prefer finding one product that serves multiple uses. I've got the drip and spray versions and love to use the spray to protect my tools that seem to alway get rusty in the garage. (moisture) I'm in the process (very slow process) of building a plane and found that it is a good lube to put on some the the bellcrank parts. I really like using the spray version on my table saw and bandsaw bed as well. Trying it on the blades (particularly the bandsaw blade) to see if it keeps them rust free and slick. All in all I like the product.

tdi_tim

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon

Bumping this up. My Jetta was (over)due for this, so I broke down and spent $20 on a tube of grease and lubed up my sunroof channels today. Grease I cleaned out was full of grit, sunroof operation seems quieter now. I also used this grease on the rocker/spring mechanism in the door jambs, and the latch strickers--what a difference that made!