www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old November 21st, 2004, 23:18   #1
Blondee
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Jetta
Default Re: Gas vs TDI: Calculate your break-even point

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/58581.html

Remember, you should factor in the cost difference between synthetic oil and dino oil as well as the cost the diesel additives as well. Everyone should be honest with yourself.
Blondee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2004, 23:32   #2
Ed's TDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.7 / 5.1 / 4.5 L/100km

Looks great but I think their information is a bit off from the start if the gas car get 29 mpg and the diesel only gets 32. In real world terms, you would have different numbers. If you were to compare a Golf 2.0 and TDI, the numbers would be 24/31 for the gasser and 38/46 (city/highway) according to VW's website. That difference would shorten the time/mileage needed to recoup the difference in cost for a diesel.
Ed's TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2004, 00:35   #3
Blondee
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Jetta

Correct, the link is just an example of how to calculate. It is assumed one knows what the average cost of diesel and gasoline is over a year and the difference in the purchase price between a gasoline and diesel. In my case, the cost is $1560 Canadian. You also have to average out the cost of the diesel additives and the difference between synthetic and regular motor oil to get an accurate difference. But, I predict that most people here who will do the calculation will omit this part so they feel they are reaching the break-even point sooner. Even a difference of $200 a year is significant, as you can see from the example of $427.65.
Blondee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2004, 00:37   #4
maxforce
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Great on all

if you fiqure in the pleasure to drive factor. I think I recouped right off the bat. I think if you buy a diesel only for the mileage you will not be as happy with it as someone who is a fan of diesels
maxforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2004, 07:45   #5
ruking
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 62/50/44mpg, normal commute range 48-52 mpg:09 Jetta TDI, 47/43/39, normal commute range 39 -43 mpg: 12 Touareg TDI, 39/31/29 mpg:

Yes the factors used are pretty spot on. In fact when I did the calculation to get my new 2003 VW Jetta, I came up independently of this article with app the same answer. (60k)
A pleasant surprize has been the depreciation is FAR less than I had projected.
ruking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2004, 07:53   #6
mgwerks
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/47/42

If you drive 35K-40K miles a year, like many of us, the payback comes quickly.
mgwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2004, 08:46   #7
Kabin
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51.4 mpg (best)

Also, don't forget the typically higher resale value of a diesel.
Kabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2004, 08:55   #8
Bayou
Veteran Member

Quote:
Also, don't forget the typically higher resale value of a diesel.
And longevity!
Bayou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2004, 09:44   #9
doc_m
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

this is true about recouping and well I never even considered the price difference when I bought mine I just knew I had to drive a TDI, just couldn't picture myself driving a gasser, unless of course at the moment it would be in a Toureg.
doc_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2004, 09:46   #10
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

Judging from your recent posts, you seem to be having buyers' remorse for having purchased a TDI... I suggest you explore one of the TDI's advantages: its limited depreciation ability! Sell your car and buy a gas model!!

We recently had to drive a gas Jetta while our TDI was recovering from a collision, and decided that we couldn't afford our lifestyle if we had to drive the gasser on a full time basis! Any projected little side-trip would have to be carefully weighed as to whether the cost of the trip could be justified!! (A little trip to Belleville cost about C$30 round trip... in our TDI it would have been about C$14... one amount is "real money" while the other is pocket change!)

Yuri.
ymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2004, 11:49   #11
Muggins
Veteran Member

The moral of this story is that everyone rationalizes the position they are defending in the way that best supports their position.

Personally, I feel the TDI is more economic than a gas vehicle, however, from a service standpoint those savings can quickly be nullified, especially if the component or system failing is not handled competantly and honestly.
Muggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2004, 12:57   #12
Kabin
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51.4 mpg (best)

Quote:
...however, from a service standpoint those savings can quickly be nullified, especially if the component or system failing is not handled competantly and honestly.
If I understand this correctly, that would apply to either gas or diesel service work and wouldn't affect the cost analysis.
Kabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2004, 13:08   #13
Muggins
Veteran Member

Yes it would, except when you compare such things as a spark plug vs. a glow plug, a gas fuel pump vs. diesel fuel pump, etc.
Muggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2004, 13:41   #14
andrewc
Veteran Member

Hmmm, here's the results of my playing around with a simple spreadsheet for a few minutes:

breakeven miles = cost difference / [G$gal/Gmpg - D$gal/Dmpg]

As a rough rule of thumb, VW diesels (not Touareg!) cost about $1000 more than the gas version (assuming the 2.slow is equivalent, but that's another argument...)

Assume that gasoline and diesel fuel cost the same at $2/gal.

Using 45mpg for the TDI and 33mpg for the gasser, breakeven takes around 60k miles.

Cost of fuel matters a lot - if both gas and diesel prices went up to $2.50/gal, then breakeven happens after 50k miles.

For us high mileage drivers, 60k doesn't take long....less than two years for me.

And yes then there's resale value, maintenance costs, and what about the value of your time when you've just eliminated one third of your trips to the filling station? etc., etc, etc.

At the heart of it is a higher (non-fuel) cost of the TDI, offset by an mpg difference.
andrewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2004, 15:39   #15
IndigoBlueWagon
Principal IDPartsVendor
w/Business number

I think your mileage comparasions are off. I regularly get 45 MPG in my TDI. If I had a 1.8T, which I would have to have over a 2.0 to have comparable performance, I'd estimate that my average mileage would be between 24-26 MPG, on premium, which here has persisted with costing as much or a little more than premium diesel.

Also, I think that repairs you incur with a car are mostly a crap shoot. The best you can do is compare the charges for routine maintenance, and the rest is chance, in my opinion. Whether I have to replace glow plugs, ignition coils, clutch, etc., is somewhat random.

If you figure you get (at least) the price premium for a diesel back at resale, then the diesel is cheaper to operate from day one.
IndigoBlueWagon is offline   Reply With Quote