www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old November 8th, 2004, 15:10   #1
csblunt

Fuel Economy: 51.5 / 43.9 / 33.2
Default Help - Malfunction indicator light (MIL) is on

Hoping someone here can help me. I'm pretty new to the self-maintenance and repair of my 2003 TDI (just moved to a house so can stop using the stealership HOPEFULLY!) and need some advise / recommendations. As I was driving home this evening my MIL light came on.

I have a couple of questions - 1) I'm supposed to drive to Chicago in the morning (about 250 miles each way) am I SOL? 2) I've done a couple of services / "upgrades" in the past week - could any of these contribute to this? I did the Ventectomy, the "Mandatory Service" that GeWilli strongly recommends (cleaning of the air screen (left intact)), as well as the MAF "fix" by adding the Dielectric connector grease to the MAF connector.

Doesn't appear that I've lost any power, and everything appears to be running fine - just the light illuminates. I have turned off / turned on the engine several times to see if it would clear - it does stay off for a couple of minutes and then comes back on.

Any suggestions / tips, or advise on my trip to Chicago or on correcting this problem without the involvement of being ripped of by the stealer?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide me.

Chris
csblunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 19:40   #2
Wingnut
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.5L/100km

No worries. If it is not flashing, it is not critical. It is most likely a glow plug fault code or coolant temp sensoe fault code. Those are the most common. Take your trip and try not to look down too much. Its annoying, I know. I drove for months with mine on before I got my Vag-com.

When you get back, take a look at the Vag-com list at the top of this page or this one here. Find someone close to you and have them pull the code for you. Once you get it, do a search using the code number or post it here and someone will point you in the right direction.
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2004, 02:35   #3
csblunt

Thanks Wingnut - I'll rest easier on the trip out to Chicago. May just have to stick a piece of electrical tape over it though

Thanks again.

Chris
Old November 11th, 2004, 07:33   #4
bsalbrig
Veteran Member

a quick diagnosis for your problem is to take your car to autozone for the free diagnostics check
i did this last week the results were i had a coolant temp sensor fault
they didnt have the part so i had to go to VW $22
bsalbrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 09:27   #5
jack_shellac

TDI(s): Jetta 00

I have a MIL on and took it to Autozone. They said that they could not run a Volkswagen on their system. Anyone heard of this or is it just Wisconsin!
jack_shellac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 09:39   #6
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

>>is it just Wisconsin<<

Not necessarily... could be just that particular AutoZone... try another one!

The equipment they have wouldn't be all that sophisticated, in any case.... look up the Vag-Com list at the top of the page, and try to find someone in your area who could read the engine code properly!

All the best,

Yuri.
ymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 10:00   #7
Marcus_go
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 980km one tank 45 L

How many miles are on your car? My cel/mil came on last summer turned out it was a faulty coolant temp sensor. I had 84k km when it came one. If you have more miles than when I did, it will be most likely be the glow plugs or that connection clip that everyone talks about. Your car is an 03 so I would assume that you might still have some warranty left, correct?
Marcus_go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 09:43   #8
jack_shellac

TDI(s): Jetta 00

Thanks ymz.
jack_shellac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 10:47   #9
cruisertoy
Veteran Member

My MIL light has been on for a few months now and autozone said it was the glow plug failure code. My question is, Now I have my cooling fans turning on and off every few seconds once my 2000 jetta tdi is warm. Would the coolant temp sensor be causing this sort of problem?
cruisertoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 23:19   #10
fatmimi99
Veteran Member

My MIL light came on around 19,000 miles. Was told the same as earlier post, as long as it is not blinking, not to worry. When I did bring it in, the service center eventually diagnosed it as a bad valve in the turbo. I did have symptoms such as not much of a turbo "boost" when I wanted it.
fatmimi99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2004, 06:01   #11
csblunt

Default Re: Help - Malfunction indicator light (MIL) is on

I'm going to see if AutoZone can pull the code for me. Although it is a 2003 and just hit the two-year mark (bought it Nov '02), I have 58K on it now. Luckily, if AutoZone can't pull the code(s), there are a few members in the area that have VAGCOMs.