www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old November 19th, 2004, 16:40   #46
chippie
Veteran Member

Default Re: Smelly Heat (Antifreeze smell)

Just pick up my car after a 5,000 oil change and heater core replacement. Nine days to change the heater core. What pisses me off is VW should of pressure tested every 100th heater core and should of caught this problem. They know it is a plan in the arse to fix and would only take a few minutes to check the cores in small batches. Is their quality control going in the toilet? They should not rely on the testing done by their suppliers.

The oil was overfilled 3/4 of an inch above the high mark. I drove about sixty highway miles before discovering this. What recourse is there on this? The dealer remove the excess oil and said not to worry. Not to worry they will not be there to help when the seals start to leak in 50,000 miles or so.
chippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2004, 11:57   #47
dieseling

Fuel Economy: 45 mpg

Hi Chippie

Is there a definite diference in the smell after
they changed the heater core and how bad was before you brought it in.I'm trying to determine if my dealer lied
to me about checking the core for leaks of course smell
is still there since they found no leaks and didn't change the core.
dieseling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2004, 17:28   #48
chippie
Veteran Member

There was a definite coolant smell before I took the car in and a film on the inside of the windscreen. On picking up the car, still with a film on the inside of the windscreen, there is a smell but not like coolant. I have not driven it enough to tell if the new smell continues but I am putting it down to the new heater core. Hate to admit this but I removed some coolant before taking the car in, as I did not want to quarrel with them. There was no issue on changing the core. I didnít really want to happen because of all the work that has to be done to the car. The reason I pushed for it is having it fixed now before the end of the warranty.

The question I have now was the oil filter was changed? Does any one know how difficult this is and how different to a gas engine?
Old November 22nd, 2004, 21:58   #49
greenstork
Veteran Member

I have to chime in as I have had the same problem with my '05 Passat. From day 1 I noticed smell of what I now know to be antifreeze, only while using the heat. There was also fogging on the interior of all windows.

Dealer was nice enough to replace my heater core but curiously never told me the problem, claimed he was replacing it as a "precaution."

when I got my car back, there was a sloshing sound under the dash, and two different rattles. They surely botched putting the dash back on. I drove out of the service lot and turned around 1/4 mile later to drop it back off. Another day later, I received my car, still with some smell with the hot air on.

they cleaned the vent system, and added the putrid fake "new car smell" air freshner, which really pissed me off. My car went from nice and new smelling, like new leather, which I rather enjoyed... having a new car and all -- to this fake new car smell.

Two weeks later and all smells have dissipated. New heater core appears to be good and antifreeze smell is gone. It was a poor dealer experience and I am disheartened to find out that this problem is insipid with newer Passats.

I am sure that breathing this was bad for me as it often gave me a headache. It's ridiculous that there hasn't been a recall from this. Lame
greenstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 05:43   #50
dieseling

Fuel Economy: 45 mpg

chippie the oil filter is under the engine cover like a Jetta
not hard to remove dealers always overfill the oil.Oil change is really easy you should try doing it yourself you don't have to lift car up you just buy a pella oil extractor to suck the oil out.

Can I ask do you have a leather interior?
dieseling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 06:05   #51
chippie
Veteran Member

I have a Pella oil extractor but wanted the dealer to do the first service because of the warranty and it was in there for the heater and some other issues. Why do they overfill the oil? I nornally do my own oil changes and do not have a problem with over filling. Also by doing it myself I know that the oil filter has been changed. I do not see any signs that the filter has been changed but the dealer could of been really careful.

Yes we have leather which I regret but wanted the other stuff that came with it (we ordered a 2004 vehicle and received a 2005). The seat area of the drivers seat is all ready showing signs of wear and is creased from turning your butt to get out of the car. We have a Mercedes wagon (which I trying to sell by the way) with leatherette and it is a much better material.

I had a hesitation in the throttle the other morning but it just happen once. It was like the car was running our of fuel. All I can say I am so thankfull for this forum for the information that is here, I do not feel alone. I do not nornally complain but I have to say it good to be able to know that others have similar problems.

I still like the car but just do not want to worry about it. I guess this goes with any new vehicle unless you do not have to care about cash. I still have our 96 Passat wagon and it is great to just jump and drive the thing with no worries even with over 220,000 miles on it. I hope the new Passat will be the same one day
Old December 1st, 2004, 14:51   #52
houstondriver
Veteran Member

What does the antifreeze smell like? I have a new 05 Passat but have just used the heat a couple times, and not a full power. I smelled something one day, but it smelled like the inside of a McDonalds, not the antifreeze smell I remember, but its been awhile and I may have forgot. I had a Fiesta with a leaky heater core in the 80's, but that was completely obvious since the windshield needed to be wiped off all the time. Hate to think of what breathing all that did then.
houstondriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2004, 15:57   #53
jimlockey
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 mpg

My 05 heater core was changed out a month two months ago. I still get a very slight antifreeze smell. Each time we use the heater the smell is a little less. I agree with Chippie, VW should not have released any 05's with heater core problems because of the 04 problems, but my VW dealer still says they never heard of a heater core problem on the 04's.
jimlockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2004, 06:33   #54
icnick
Veteran Member

Jim, same thing here- I had mine changed about a month ago and it has slowly had less and less smell. Every time I drive up a steep incline or hang a sharp curve, some left over coolant from the first core, still in the ducts seems to "slosh around" and get on the new core, and make it smell briefly. I was super ticked the first 2-3 times this happened, and took it back to the dealer because I was convinced (still not 100% certain the other way) they had put another leaky core in. They say it's coolant they couldn't get completely cleaned out of the dash. Hmmm... Does anyone know much about the toxicology of dexcool-like coolants, or whatever this particular pink stuff is?
icnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2004, 07:42   #55
abctdi
Veteran Member

If someone has a bottle, look up the main ingredient and I'll look for an MSDS. I think it is polypropylene glycol...
abctdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2004, 10:08   #56
EJS
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2009 Jetta

If it's polypropylene glycol then it's not harmful, atleast in small quanties taken orally - it's what they give you to drink prior to a colonoscopy.
EJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2004, 14:50   #57
abctdi
Veteran Member

Anybody got some in the original container?
Old December 3rd, 2004, 08:08   #58
icnick
Veteran Member

I don't have an original container, but from research on-line (YMMV...) it looks like it is propylene glycol (not polypropylene glycol) with OAT (organic acids for anti-corrosion).
icnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2004, 08:21   #59
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Quote:
Anybody got some in the original container?

I've got fresh G12 in the basement...what did you want to do with it?
dieseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2004, 08:28   #60
abctdi
Veteran Member

Below is an excerpt from an MSDS. It applies as soon as someone can confirm that indeed PG is the main ingredient of VW G12.
In a nutshell, don't drink it, soak in it, or put it in your eyes. It's okay to breathe, but fresh air is better...

PROPYLENE GLYCOL

1. Product Identification
Synonyms: 1,2-propanediol; 1,2-dihdroxypropane; methyl glycol; methylethylene glycol
CAS No.: 57-55-6
Molecular Weight: 76.09
Chemical Formula: CH3CHOHCH2OH
Product Codes:
J.T. Baker: 9402, 9403, U510
Mallinckrodt: 1925, 6263

2. Composition/Information on Ingredients

Ingredient CAS No Percent Hazardous
--------------------------------------- ------------ ------------ ---------

Propylene Glycol 57-55-6 99 - 100% Yes

3. Hazards Identification
Emergency Overview
--------------------------
CAUTION! MAY CAUSE IRRITATION TO SKIN AND EYES.

J.T. Baker SAF-T-DATA(tm) Ratings (Provided here for your convenience)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Health Rating: 0 - None
Flammability Rating: 1 - Slight
Reactivity Rating: 1 - Slight
Contact Rating: 1 - Slight
Lab Protective Equip: GOGGLES; LAB COAT
Storage Color Code: Orange (General Storage)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Potential Health Effects
----------------------------------

Inhalation:
No adverse health effects via inhalation.
Ingestion:
Relatively non-toxic. Ingestion of sizable amount (over 100ml) may cause some gastrointestinal upset and temporary central nervous system depression. Effects appear more severe in individuals with kidney problems.
Skin Contact:
Mild irritant and defatting agent, especially on prolonged contact.
Eye Contact:
May cause transitory stinging and tearing.
Chronic Exposure:
Lactic acidosis, stupor and seizures have been reported following chronic ingestion.
Aggravation of Pre-existing Conditions:
Kidney disorders.