www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old October 1st, 2004, 21:22   #1
jddaigle
Veteran Member

Default Do CCV Filters Prevent Intake Clogging?

First off: I'm not trolling and I know it seems like a silly question on the face of it. But I'm still fairly new around here, and while it's taken as gospel that a CCV filter will help reduce intake clogging, I haven't seen any "case studies" as it were.

I'm looking at a Mann ProVent for my new Golf TDI-PD, but before I plunk down the $$$, I'd like to know if those of you who have some kind of CCV filter or oil seperator, be it Eclipse, Old Navy, Mann, Racor, or home-grown, have found that your intakes have indeed remained clean(er).

I know, of course, that nothing definitive can come of this (it's not a proper study after all), but I would like to hear any "I installed my XYZ at 10,000mi and after X miles my intake is clean enough to eat out of" stories more experienced members might have. If you have any "I spent $150 on a filter and my %$#@! intake still filled up with crap" stories, I'd like to hear those, too. Data may not be the plural of anedote, but at least they'll give us all something to chew on.

Yours in the honest & innocent (and yes, obsessive ) search for knowledge--
jddaigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2004, 22:41   #2
Kabin
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51.4 mpg (best)

I'd bet there are degrees to the clogging. In other words, it might clog worse with oil present. It would be good to know.

Does the TDI's catalytic converter (little or no crankcase oil here) clog-up over a period of time?
Kabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2004, 03:47   #3
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Jeff, the elimination (or reduction) of oily vapors mixing with the EGR gases is certainly a step in the right direction but clearly not a total solution to the mess. Eliminating EGR eliminates IM clogging.
dieseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2004, 07:49   #4
delste
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41/33/22

And how do you eliminate the EGR?
delste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2004, 07:54   #5
dieseldorf
top post dawg

dieseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2004, 10:01   #6
jddaigle
Veteran Member

Quote:
Jeff, the elimination (or reduction) of oily vapors mixing with the EGR gases is certainly a step in the right direction but clearly not a total solution to the mess.
Right, that's the theory. But I still haven't seen the question asked, have people with CCV filters actually found that their intakes indeed remain noticeable cleaner?
Old October 2nd, 2004, 10:22   #7
paramedick
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor

Jeff, my experience with the A3.

Between the previous owner and myself, the car has had either a 1)elephant nose mod, 2)EGR mod, or 3)Old Navy CCV valve.

I removed the intake to check it this summer. Was checking a power loss problem. The intake had a very light coating of hard, black residue but was essentially wide open. I wasted my time removing it. 160K on the car.

Do the CCV mods work? You bet your sweet bippy!
paramedick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2004, 10:44   #8
jddaigle
Veteran Member

Quote:
Between the previous owner and myself, the car has had either a 1)elephant nose mod, 2)EGR mod, or 3)Old Navy CCV valve. I removed the intake to check it this summer...The intake had a very light coating of hard, black residue but was essentially wide open...160K on the car.
Thank you, that's just the kind of info I was looking for!

Anyone have similar experiences with A4 TDIs, esp. PD engines, with their more aggressive EGR systems?
Old October 2nd, 2004, 10:46   #9
jddaigle
Veteran Member

Quote:

Unless you have the PD's EDC16 ECU peeking over your shoulder and throwing codes when you try to block off the EGR. Darn car thinks it's smarter than us!
Old October 2nd, 2004, 10:54   #10
Kabin
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51.4 mpg (best)

Quote:

Between the previous owner and myself, the car has had either a 1)elephant nose mod, 2)EGR mod, or 3)Old Navy CCV valve.
Is the EGR mod just the Vagcom parameter change?
Kabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2004, 12:00   #11
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

Quote:

Is the EGR mod just the Vagcom parameter change?
yep
20IndigoBlue02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2004, 07:21   #12
Dana D.
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/48/45

<font color="brown">Well ... that's one (the Vagcom) the other is pictured above where the EGR is physically blocked off and a new section of piping is installed (DG Racepipe?). (sparkly stuff in that pic - pretty) I've heard the racepipe throws codes on all engine types.

The Vagcom worked for me and now I'm hoping the ON/CCV will cut the oil that gunks up the IC. </font>
Dana D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2004, 21:39   #13
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Anyone have similar experiences with A4 TDIs, esp. PD engines, with their more aggressive EGR systems?
Before installing the Old Navy CCV filter, my EGR and intake were oily but without any accumulation of crud.

When I checked yesterday, there was LESS oil coating the insides of the EGR, the flexible hose just downstream from the EGR, and the oddly-shaped plastic pipe that leads to the intercooler. I don't know about the intake itself, as I haven't looked. But without oil, there is nothing for particulates in the exhaust gases to mix with to create "crud."

I had the EGR cycle modified with VAGCOM at about 9k miles, and the ON CCV filter installed at 52k miles. I now have about 71k miles. So, I think my intake system is getting CLEANER through enthusiastic driving.

FWIW, I only use Delvac-1 synthetic or Mobil-1 Truck &amp; SUV, changed every 10k miles. My fuel is filtered through a CAT 2-micron filter.

Clean fuel, premium motor oil, regular use of the entire power band, EGR mod, and the CCV filter -- perhaps they all contribute to keeping my intake clean.
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2004, 03:29   #14
keywestbob
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: To new to tell

I have not removed my intake or EGR but I did install a Mann filter system on my '04 Jetta at 5100 miles. When I did my oil change at 10,000 miles I removed 1.5 ounces of oil from the drain line I have hanging down from the Mann filter. The 1" (ID) line running to the Mann filter and the 90 deg elbow have a very nice oily coating while the 1" line running out of the filter is almost as clean &amp; clear as when it was installed. Does it eliminate gunking up the intake? I don't know but I would bet the 1.5 oz of oil would have settled into the intercooler or the intake. For the record I use premium fuel (BP or Farm Service 24) and Stanadyne additive. When time permits I will pull the EGR.
keywestbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2004, 07:28   #15
delste
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41/33/22

Diesel:

I'm new and a bit thick. What do all the pictures mean?
delste is offline   Reply With Quote