www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old October 1st, 2004, 16:59   #1
mainer
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 01 jetta
Default tdi adapter? for toyota

does anyone make an adapter to bolt a 1.9l tdi to a toyota trany?
mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2004, 18:56   #2
Philip
Veteran Member

i dont think those 2 will mate, even if it did, if its an automatic its not geared to the engine torque.

you can try one of the 6 spd trannys from a newer vr6 or gti, those are jap ones and i think they mate to the TDI engine, ask before you buy.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2004, 15:16   #3
mainer
Veteran Member

found this but will it work? and is a 1.5 turbo enough to power a 4x4 toyota truck? from the late 80's?
Old October 2nd, 2004, 15:36   #4
mkosem
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47mpg AVG

Are you refering to a TD or EcoDiesel? Either one is gonna end up with a pretty slow truck, but TD would be better than Eco.

--Matt
mkosem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2004, 17:29   #5
mainer
Veteran Member

a td. but a 1.5 td not a 1.6
Old October 3rd, 2004, 14:48   #6
K5ING
Mega-Miler

Fuel Economy: 46 mixed/51 highway

VW has already made a Toyota truck (or the other way around). It's called the VW Taro, available over in Europe. Don't know if it's just a "badge engineering job", or what. If nothing else, you know where you can get a grill to finish the job.

K5ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2004, 04:28   #7
mainer
Veteran Member

thanks
Old October 4th, 2004, 04:32   #8
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

www.acmeadapters.com

They make one, any 4 cylinder Volkswagen engine, including the TDI, can be used to bolt to a Toyota truck transmission with one of these.

They use them mainly for Suzukis, but since the Suzuki transmissions are so wimpy, he made the Toyota adapter to you could use the VW diesel engine and Toyota transmission in a Suzuki Samurai or Sidekick frame.
oilhammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2004, 14:41   #9
mainer
Veteran Member

thanks, but i cant find were they say that they will fit a toyota.
Old October 4th, 2004, 14:53   #10
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Contact him and ask him, he has had auctions on ebay for the Toyota adapters.
oilhammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2004, 16:03   #11
mainer
Veteran Member

thank you
Old October 17th, 2004, 20:33   #12
renny10n

Mainer,

I was trying to reply to your post earlier before that e-bay auction mentioned above ended, but couldn't because of some issues w/ my cpu settings. I have one of Jeff Kerr's "ACME Adapters" (VW to toy xmsn) I had approached him about 1+yrs. ago if he would look into putting such a kit together & was surprised when he contacted me to see if I was still interested. All I can say is the material & workmanship is heavy duty, the adapter plate itself is 3/8s thick! He doesn't have it listed on his site yet, but you can e-mail him or I know he has another one listed on e-bay again(search for "suzuki samurai*") I don't think he will be letting this one go for as low as the other went for($209.) But, I'm sure it will be significantly less than his retail. The one that sold for $209. on e-bay was a score, since myself & others have paid $575.00 regular price.( ouch!!!!)

My interest in the adapter is to repower my 1987 Suzuki Samurai w/ a 2001 Beetle 1.9TDI engine mated to a Toyota truck 5spd. xmsn & transfercase. I have not really gotten into the swap yet, still gathering up all the parts & trying to understand the ECU wiring issues I will be facing. Hopefully, I can find a way to by-pass/ cut down the wiring harness to have a stand alone system to just run the injection pump, etc. only

There is a member on the Samuraidiesels@yahoogroups.com that is in the process right now of putting a 1.9TD/toy xmsn & t-case into his 4X4 Toy truck. He has a couple photo's posted there as well. I think the biggest concern voiced by other members, is that the truck will be under powered w/ the 1.9 since the truck is significantly heavier.
ACME has the motormount bracket for the 1.6/1.9 na/TD & earlier TDI engines. They are planning on making some for the 1998-up TDIs(Samurai oriented w/ engine in a vertical position) some time in the future, but doesn't kown when. You would have to fab. your own frame mounts though that should be relatively easy.

Another note on the ACME adapter intructions, it says the trans will be rotated slightly to the drivers side w/ the engine sitting in a vertical position. So, the shifter(s) would have to be slightly bent to re-orientate them back to stock. Also, would also have to mod/fab the xmsn mount as well

I don't like this setup or having to do those mods. So I'm planning on a different approach of fabbing my own engine motormount brackets so the engine is canted approx. 15 degrees towards the pass side. I believe this is also the stock VW factor position in all the TDI equiped cars anyway. I think this is a better solution & less complicated to leave the xmsn/shifters/ xmsn mounts alone.

Anyways, hope this helps, aloha! ....renny
renny10n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 18:00   #13
mainer
Veteran Member

thank you....