www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old September 20th, 2004, 06:19   #1
POWERSTROKE
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 Golf
Default Windshield Cowling removal.

How do you remove the lower windshield cowling near the wiper blades without cracking it? I am assuming that you remove the wipers and then how do you go about removing that plastic that runs the whole length of the windshield?
POWERSTROKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2004, 06:49   #2
Galactic_Warrior
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 54/52/47

1. Remove wiper blades.
2. Remove access cover to cabin filter (not required, but makes the process easier).
3. Pull up from forward side and/or using a thin bladed scredriver, or better yet something plastic, pry away from base of windshield.

The cowl attaches in a groove just below the windshield. I used a screwdriver and as soon as I could get my fingers in, I pulled it up.

Best of Luck!
Galactic_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2004, 06:54   #3
POWERSTROKE
Veteran Member

So pull up, towards the sky, away from the windshield? It pops straight up? Thanks.
Old September 20th, 2004, 08:42   #4
tongsli
Veteran Member

Up towards the sky. Frank, be very careful when putting it back on the glass. Use some silicone spray or lithium grease and spray the back side of the plastic tab or ridge that snaps into the groove.

Also, do it on a warm day. I managed to crack a windshield by putting too much pressure on the edge of the bottom part of the windshield.

Use the lubricant and be gentle putting it back.

Lito
tongsli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2004, 08:47   #5
POWERSTROKE
Veteran Member

Thanks lito.
Old September 20th, 2004, 09:01   #6
yetta0
Veteran Member

I just rebuilt my wiper assy yesterday and found that the best way to get the cowl off was to start at one end and lift the corner up out of the groove. Once you get that out, gently pull up along the rest of the way of the windshield. Once that is removed, lift it towards the roof to remove entirely. Don't try to go towards the engine underneath the hood.
I found that both of the spindles for the wipers arms were semi seized in the bushings. I had to hammer them out. I used emery cloth to clean them out as well as the spindles. be careful with the spindles though because the chrome coating could come off if you scrub it too much. Then I used DC-33 grease and packed the hell out of them. Put it all back together and they now work awesome. A little trick when removing the linkage from the motor is to use a punch to make a scribe between the two. Then just reassemble back using the marks.
Good luck.
yetta0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2004, 22:18   #7
oldpoopie

Fuel Economy: whats that?

Quote:
Also, do it on a warm day. I managed to crack a windshield by putting too much pressure on the edge of the bottom part of the windshield.

Yep, I did the same thing.
oldpoopie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2005, 11:27   #8
fitzski
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2004 Jetta
Default Re: Windshield Cowling removal.

Dragging this one up...

I'm trying to do the same, remove the windshield cowling, on my 2004 Jetta, and man - it won't budge. Other MkIV owners have said it came off fairly easily, but I've been putting quite a bit of force into pulling/prying it up, and nothing. Am I still being too gentle, or is something maybe different on the '04s?

I'm going to try again tomorrow in the heat of day, but opinions/tips are welcome.

Thx,
fitzski.
fitzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2005, 22:04   #9
FlyTDI Guy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 56.5/44/41

Not sure about the '04 but... perhaps a better way of describing it is to pull straight out/away from the windshield at 90 to the windshield rake/angle. Start at one end and use your fingers only. Once it is started, just work your way across the windshield, prying out with your fingers. The comments about removing the wiper arms and cabin filter cover are valid. If you don't know which way to apply force, you can tear the 'tongue' off the shroud. It is kind of a tongue and groove situation with the groove on the windshield side and the tongue on the shroud.
FlyTDI Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2005, 07:14   #10
tongsli
Veteran Member

Try spraying wd-40 or silicone lubricant at the edge of the cowl and the windshield.

It will flow into the groove or channel that flytidguy is reffering to.

When you re-install it, be sure to lubricate the plastic tongue on the backside and CLEAN out the channel just below the windshield where the tongue goes back.

And be sure NOT TO USE EXCESSIVE FORCE WHEN PUSHING DOWN the plastic cowl back into place. You can CRACK the windshield if excessive force is applied.

DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW!!! Two windshields later

L
Old June 24th, 2005, 19:46   #11
FlyTDI Guy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 56.5/44/41

Wow tongsli... you're not a masseur by profession are you VW glass is legendary (or infamous) for its ding, chip, scratch-n-crack qualities but I'm surprised at what you describe. I'll put on my kid gloves next time I get at my ECU...
FlyTDI Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2005, 07:19   #12
fitzski
Veteran Member

Thanks for the tips guys - I'll have another "crack" at it... 33 Celsius here today... good day to try.
Old June 27th, 2005, 08:32   #13
Amonquag
Veteran Member

FYI: I find it easier to lift up and then slide out from the driver's side.
Amonquag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2005, 13:28   #14
tongsli
Veteran Member

Sorry,

I guess the point of my post was to say the plastic cowling cover only needs a little bit of force to get it to snap into the channel. Any more and you run the risk.

That's all.

L
Old June 28th, 2005, 05:43   #15
fitzski
Veteran Member

Huzzah! Success!

Thanks guys - it was definitely a Mind's Eye Malfunction - I was totally wrong in picturing how it clipped in. It actually came out pretty easy. I did run a thin bead of grease in the groove to ease things next time - thanks for the tip.

I also took some pictures that I'll post later for others to better visualize.

[edit]Pictures added...[/edit]

Here is the "female" part of the clip, which is attached to the windshield.

This is the "male" piece, the cowling, which slides into the groove on the clip attached to the windshield. You can see that there is a slight barb on the tongue. However, once you get it started, it is very easy to remove.

On the passenger side, remove the loose end of the cowling from the rubber weather strip, and slide your fingers behind the cowling, with your knuckles against the windshield. Move your fingers as far across, toward the center of the car, as you can, and when it starts to get tight, pull out with your fingers, perpendicular to the windshield. You may get some assistance from using your other hand underneath the cowling to push at the same time. Once the first bit of the tongue-and-groove is separated, the rest will come easily.

Cheers,
Scott.