www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old October 6th, 2004, 23:40   #16
TDIinRI
Veteran Member

Default Easy Lubro Moly Diesel Purge How-To - with pics!!

I have used the diesel purge on my car and on Cliff's Jetta. Purchased from danix @ tdiparts.com each time. The bottle that dan sold me looks a little different than the one posted. I think they redesigned it, as it is now a little shorter and fatter. Arby, I think you are mistaken though. It is most definitely NOT red in colour. According to the bottle: "Cleans injector nozzles in minutes. Eliminates 'nailing', knocking, shaking. Restores power, eases starting. Lowers smoke and particulates." Also an interesting tidbit found on the bottle for you all to debate: Product contains 65% Diesel Fuel, approx. 25% Ethylhexyl nitrate, approx. 8% Petroleum Distilate, and approx. 1% 1,2,4-Trimethylbenzene. Let the debating continue...

Tommy
TDIinRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2004, 10:49   #17
Darren_J
Veteran Member

TDI(s): MK 4 TDI

I thought that ethyl-hexyl-nitrate was a cetane improver. Is it a solvent as well? That is the main ingredient next to the 65% diesel fuel. Petroleum distillate, is that Naptha? And what is trimethyl benzene? One could almost make his own injection cleaner.
Darren_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2004, 12:35   #18
ARBY
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 34ish

Quote:
It is most definitely NOT red in colour.

The DP I used MOST CERTAINLY was red. Look closely at the lines in the pics.
ARBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2004, 13:05   #19
LNXGUY
Veteran Member

By looking at the pics, once its all setup, we are completely bypassing the fuel filter correct?
LNXGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2004, 13:28   #20
ARBY
Veteran Member

Quote:
By looking at the pics, once its all setup, we are completely bypassing the fuel filter correct?

Apparantly DP is not red, as Geoff has told me. I must have used old DP. Anyway, yes, you are bypassing the fuel filter to ensure that your car burns nothing but DP. Otherwise, the DP would be recirculated back to the fuel tank where it would be mixed with your existing diesel. The DP is meant to be burned straight.
Old October 7th, 2004, 14:01   #21
DieselFumes
Veteran Member

Quote:
[Y]es, you are bypassing the fuel filter to ensure that your car burns nothing but DP. Otherwise, the DP would be recirculated back to the fuel tank where it would be mixed with your existing diesel. The DP is meant to be burned straight.
I think the best time to use Diesel Purge is when you replace the fuel filter. You'd fill the filter up with DP, connect hoses to the inlet and outlet of the filter and run them to the bottle containing DP. (Actually, it's a bit more involved than that, with clamping hoses and using a LiquidVac or MityVac to suck the DP from the bottle thru the filter to via the return hose.) That way the DP is run through the fuel filter and only DP is burned and there's no need to purchase a separate filter.
DieselFumes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2004, 14:40   #22
ARBY
Veteran Member

The filter is 2 dollars.
Old October 7th, 2004, 23:05   #23
tadc
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45/42/37

Quote:
I think the best time to use Diesel Purge is when you replace the fuel filter. You'd fill the filter up with DP, connect hoses to the inlet and outlet of the filter and run them to the bottle containing DP. (Actually, it's a bit more involved than that, with clamping hoses and using a LiquidVac or MityVac to suck the DP from the bottle thru the filter to via the return hose.) That way the DP is run through the fuel filter and only DP is burned and there's no need to purchase a separate filter.
Except... this way your car sputters to a stop with a filter full of DP, and then you hook up the fuel lines again and all your remaining DP gets diluted with regular fuel.

Besides, that $2 filter doesn't filter all that well anyway.
tadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2004, 00:34   #24
BoosTDIt
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: hmm 1 tank best 768m. & light went on - 43 average

Just wanted to add that for convinience in Washington DC /MD /VA
Olympic autoparts stores in the area carry the full Lubro Moly line...LM Hi test is 2.69 the Diesel Purge is like 4.60..
they have the motor oils from LM too..

Later gang
BoosTDIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2004, 17:29   #25
GeWilli
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: you keep track?

ImpexFAP seems to have a great price on the Diesel Purge. 3-4 times cheaper than the Parts Place Inc in auburn hills.

Dunno what Danix's price is - I should check.

I'd actually reccomend doing the Diesel Purge regim just before an oil change. Why? in case you get a bit of blow by or what not... prolly no big deal but it'll be the right time.

As for filtering it? Bah - never known anyone to filter it when running. BUt it isn't a bad idea. Esp for $2...

Just don't pull an lrpavlo and hook it up to the bottle and go for a drive and leave all the tools at the GTG.

I reccomend having Vag-com hooked up when you are doing the purge. Cycle the pump in basic settings in block 004. That will move the timing solenoid at a larger range than possible just with a foot, and its safer than driving around like Lew did.

I use two hoses that fit snugly inside the fuel lines and put them in a clear plastic container (EHN proof plastic). That way you can visually check how much you've run through.

No need to empty the whole bottle, just get most of it, then dump the rest in the fuel tank.

filling the fuel filter up with diesel purge at a filter change will not get you the reccomended and most effective use of the DP. you'll get a few seconds of good DP but then it will be slowly diluted with diesel fuel and you'll never get the duration of cleaning needed.

BTW, Good job on the write up ARBY. Shall we nominate you the next write up member? What ya gonna do next?
GeWilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2004, 10:32   #26
dantheswim
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44/38/34

Quote:
Just wanted to add that for convinience in Washington DC /MD /VA
Olympic autoparts stores in the area carry the full Lubro Moly line...LM Hi test is 2.69 the Diesel Purge is like 4.60..
Thanks for that. I'm on my way to one now in Fairfax...to buy something I probably don't really even need...
dantheswim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2004, 13:12   #27
McBrew
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54/50/44 (usually running B100)

Great job with the write-up and pics! I have used many gallons of diesel purge in old diesel Mercedes engines. In an engine with injector knock, you can hear the knock go away while running the DP. Good stuff!
McBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2004, 20:20   #28
compu_85
Gadget Guy

I just did this tonight... I think I heard the sound of the engine change as I ran the DP through it. No smoke from the tailpipe, which smelled about the same. I didn't have any problems with leaking, though by the end of the bottle some air was getting past the fittings.

I used a Glad Ware container, and had claps holding the hose in place. I would be careful using the clamps, the hose got a little soft after the fuel warmed up, and the claps started to pinch it off. But I ran almost the entire can through without any issue. (The black thing over the DP is a binder... it had started to rain and I've heard that it's bad to get water in the fule )
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2004, 18:10   #29
McBrew
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54/50/44 (usually running B100)

Okay... your post got me jazzed up about Diesel Purge again. I went up to Impex yesterday to pick up a bunch of stuff -- by the way, check out their part# ALH KIT OE -- anyway, I picked up a couple of bottles of DP and ran it through when I got home. My setup was a bit simpler:

1) Go to Home Depot and get a small roll of poly icemaker hose -- $1.90.
2) Cut two lengths of the hose about 12" long. Store the rest of the hose in a clean place for next time.
3) Pull the two engine-side hoses off the fuel filter and stick in the two pieces of tubing about 2".
4) It's not a tight fit, so use a hose clamp on each side.
5) Stick the loose ends into the can of DP and start the car.
6) Every few minutes, get in and rev it up to different RPM ranges all the way up to near-redline.

It takes a while to use up all the DP... maybe half an hour or more. As you can see in the pic below, I used a small needle-nose vice-grip to weight down the fuel feed hose to keep it from coming out and drawing air.

McBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2004, 15:38   #30
STRANGETDI
Veteran Member

Way to hijack Arby's thread, Mcbrew. Just kidding, I'm glad it's on the same thread.

Nice job to the both of you for posting this. I have never done this DP before. I have 75,000 miles on my car and I think I will do this before the winter. I think my TDI will love this. Thanks again. Looks easy.
STRANGETDI is offline   Reply With Quote