www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old August 27th, 2004, 11:28   #1
OneLostprophet

Default how do i make my car faster without spending $

is there any cheap way i can make my car just a little bit faster. it only tops out at 95 mph and i would like it to get up and go faster too..i know of the injectors and chip. i saw a little diagram under the hood and it was the turbo i believe. i saw boost control, is there an ajustment i can make to that..any help would be appreciated. thanks
OneLostprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2004, 11:39   #2
tditom
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Golf: 54/48/43.5 B4 Passat: 52/48.5/45 B5.5 Passat: 30 mpg mixed

http://forums.tdiclub.com/faq.php?Cat=

http://forums.tdiclub.com/search.php?Cat=

welcome and good luck
tditom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2004, 11:43   #3
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Read the performance section of the TDIFAQ. Pay attention to the bit about fixing what's wrong with yours before spending money on hop-ups, because 95 mph is only about 150 km/h, and a bone stocker should be capable of better than that. (My money is on a bad MAF sensor ...)
GoFaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2004, 11:52   #4
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Quote:
any help would be appreciated. thanks

what kind of car do you have
dieseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2004, 11:56   #5
pepper10
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46 Avg

95mph is not enough??? You must have a death wish. Besides, it's not top speed that matters, it's acceleration... . You could try removing the antenae to reduce drag...

Kidding aside, you should be able to reach at least 105 with the windows closed and the AC off with no roof rack. If your car has a spoiler on the trunk, it could affect top speed.

The diagram you saw is the vaccum hose diagram. I don't recommend you fool around with the turbo. Too many stories of blown turbos in this forum from people who tried to increase boost. Your best bet is injector nozzles and a chip but that will set you back $400-$500. You can find someone with a Vag Com software to increase your IQ (injected quantity) to add more fuel to the cylinders which will increase power or you could do the hammer mod which is a mechanical version of the software induced IQ adjustment (not recommended). Other things to consider, clean your snowscreen frequently (intake pipe to the airbox) to ensure your engine is breathing properly. If your TDI is used, look into an intake cleaning to prevent air restriction. That's about all you can do for free.
pepper10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2004, 11:56   #6
tomo366
TDI Lifer

The highest posted speed limited in the country is 70 MPH! 95 MPH is way beyond that...... Why do you need to go any faster??
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2004, 12:03   #7
tditom
Veteran Member

Actually there are quite a few states out west that have a 75 mph limit. I think Arizona is talking about raising theirs to 85.

-tom
Old August 27th, 2004, 12:06   #8
RichC
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 26MPG across the board

Quote:
is there any cheap way i can make my car just a little bit faster. it only tops out at 95 mph and i would like it to get up and go faster too..i know of the injectors and chip. i saw a little diagram under the hood and it was the turbo i believe. i saw boost control, is there an ajustment i can make to that..any help would be appreciated. thanks
This BUD's for you!
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2004, 13:48   #9
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Regardless of legalities, a top speed of 95 mph means that there is something wrong with the vehicle. Fix what's broken before modifying it!
GoFaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2004, 14:50   #10
MaxThrust
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 99.5 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 53mpg @ 85mph (best run)

With an 'apparently' stock '99.5 Jetta, I have routinely hit 135mph indicated out in the deserts of AZ. I have twice hit 132 on a hand-held GPS (135mph indicated), with the A/C running. If your MAF is acting up, you would have trouble reaching these speeds.

By the way, I have hit 135mph in a very short period of time, it's even a bit shocking. The car is only 'OK' from 0-45mph, pretty good from 45-80mph, but above 80mph the darned thing is evil. I can out-accelerate just about anything on the road above 100mph. When my MAF went south, it was stupid-slow to accelerate.

<disclaimer>
Let me recommend doing this away from others, with high quality, properly inflated tires, good suspension, and the brakes in perfect shape. If everything is not perfect on the car and/or there are other people around, you take a risk of doing great harm to them or even yourself. This would not be good and isn't fair to others.
</disclaimer>

YMMV--Remember-speed runs only under good conditions and no other traffic around. (They are morons anyway.)

Mike
MaxThrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2004, 15:09   #11
tditom
Veteran Member

I am astounded by your claim of 135 mph. Stock?? How is this possible?

-tom
Old August 27th, 2004, 15:16   #12
NRU73
Veteran Member

135mph stock is quite impressive! My 02 golf 5sp barely pulled 107 on a nice stretch of road. Also all other stock VW's in the U.S. shut down at 128mph,(that's for the gassers) That much i can attest to!
Nate
NRU73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2004, 15:46   #13
weedeater
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54/43/38

Quote:
how do i make my car faster without spending $

Push it off a very tall cliff.

Unfortuately, this only works once.
weedeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2004, 15:51   #14
MaxThrust
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 99.5 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 53mpg @ 85mph (best run)

I finally had to take two separate guys with GPS units out on a run....one is a club member, another is a coworker. I was able to attain 132mph (speedo showed 135mph both times) on each run, but was coming into traffic both times and had to back off. The car pulls like a demon above 100mph indicated, and was still pulling on both occasions with the GPS. I have done a number of timed runs from 40-60mph and 60-90mph, neither seem to indicate anything but stock performance, it's only when I get above 80mph or so that it starts pulling really hard.

The car doesn't burn even a drop of oil, all vacuum lines are new, new MAF, always a clean air filter. Changed the oil about 500 miles ago and that was after 14k miles...no oil usage there either. EGR has been cleaned, but is operable. I always use Power Service (Grey), and try to get fuel from the best places I can find. I have new brakes all around, new GY GT-HR's, all other maintenance is up to snuff.

YMMV

Mike

PS Anyone is welcome to show up at my door with a GPS at anytime, I live in an area where there is plenty of space and will take you for a run. You may also inspect any aspect of the car. When we are done, I will buy you a beer.
MaxThrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2004, 16:28   #15
cowboytdi
Veteran Member

Max,are you originally from Texas? Your tall tails are sounding a lot like those of Oldman and dzljet...Any dynos, vag com graphs, or 70 to 100 timed runs?
cowboytdi is offline   Reply With Quote