www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old August 24th, 2004, 06:07   #1
RedTDIowner
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38/46
Default TDI injector cleaner

First time poster here. I am curious as to what fuel additive you all recommend to clean the injectors on my TDI. I have had it a couple of years and it has 65,000 miles but I have never added anything to the tank to clean out my engine. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The offical VW site does not recommend or sell any fuel additive/injector cleaner product for the TDI. I used to own a Volvo 740 GLE turbo diesel so I am somewhat familiar with diesels. In case you don't know, VW made the diesel engines for volvo's passenger cars.

The local Volvo dealership here in Louisville used to tell me to just add a bottle of automatic transmission fliud to my diesel fuel tank. They said it would clean the injectors and lubricate the pump. Any truth to this?
RedTDIowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2004, 06:10   #2
dieseldorf
top post dawg

what makes you think you need it?
dieseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2004, 06:11   #3
Hamsterdiesel
Veteran Member & HO5G CoFounder

Fuel Economy: 49/47.5 - 51 mpg once!

VW recommends Stanadyne. Many people here use Power Service Diesel Kleen. Power Service has 2 formulas - one for summer use, and one for winter use. I use one or the other year round.

It's also a real plus that Power Service is carried at Wal Mart!
Hamsterdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2004, 06:18   #4
RedTDIowner
Veteran Member

Quote:
what makes you think you need it?
Well diesel is a pretty dirty fuel and most engines build up stuff in them after many miles of use. I thought most manufacturers of any type of fuel injection engine (gas or diesel) recommended fuel additives and injector cleaners after so many thousands of miles to clean out your injectors and engine. Is it better to just not add anything or is adding a bottle to the tank every 6 months or so good to keep your injectors clean?
Old August 24th, 2004, 06:28   #5
dieseldorf
top post dawg

I would agree with the additive at every fillup strategy. If you do wish to clean up above and beyond that, track down some <font color="blue"> LM Diesel Purge </font> ...it's the strongest around.

Quote:
DIESEL PURGE
Professional product for doing a remedial cleaning of the injection system on the engine. Cleans injector nozzles in minutes. Eliminates engine knocking, "nailing" and vibration. Restores engine power and response, eases starting, accelerates engine warm-up for faster full-power delivery. Reduces smoking and soot emission. For all Diesel engines to restore proper operation of the injection system. Observe the application instructions printed on the container.
Old August 24th, 2004, 06:30   #6
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Also:

Quote:
PRO-LINE DIESEL INJECTOR CLEANER
Reduces pollutant emissions and exhaust gas opacity before a smog test. Successfully tested under international standards. Cleans the injectors and the entire fuel system and removes harmful deposits. Prevents sticking and gumming-up of injector tips. Raises the ignitability of the fuel and improves combustion process. For all atmospheric and turbocharged engines. For preventive and problem-solving use.
Old August 24th, 2004, 07:03   #7
RedTDIowner
Veteran Member

What does everyone think of the comments in my original post about adding automatic transmission fluid to your diesel tank to clean out the injectors and lubricate your pump?
Old August 24th, 2004, 07:30   #8
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Quote:
What does everyone think of the comments in my original post about adding automatic transmission fluid to your diesel tank to clean out the injectors and lubricate your pump?

When ATF is burned, is it ashless

Is ATF intended to be burned in the combustion chamber
Old August 24th, 2004, 07:38   #9
MacGyver
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~54mpg imp

ATF is an 'old school' trick. May or may not have been beneficial 20-30yrs ago. Supposedly harmful to your catalytic converter, which diesels didn't have many moons ago.

Why second guess chemical engineers? There are many excellent reputable products (like LM mentioned above) that are designed to do exactly what you want. Get one or more &amp; be happy.
Unless you are willing to put diesel or injector cleaner in your automatic tranny, why put ATF in your diesel engine?
MacGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2004, 11:14   #10
silverstreaker

Fuel Economy: don't know

What stores carry diesel purge
silverstreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2004, 11:44   #11
DickSilver
Veteran Member

When my Mercedes 220Diesel was new (early seventies) my trusted MB mechanic also recommended ATF instead of the then-extant fuel system cleaners as "it does the same thing for less money." I'd have to admit to never having seen any technical analysis to prove this to be true. However, I used ATF in the 220D for 280,000 miles with no ill effects and never any injector troubles.

However in today's higher-tech world where our USA #2 diesel fuel is the same old crap and engine design has advanced orders of magnitude, I use Power Service in the silver bottle to get 6 points cetane improvement. I see the ATF story as an old urban legend.

DickSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2004, 11:51   #12
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Quote:
IMPEX has the LM products. I think danix does as well. They're highly regarded.
Old August 24th, 2004, 13:42   #13
jasonTDI

Fuel Economy: 13.7 c, 12-18 towing hwy. 20-23

Quote:
Quote:
IMPEX has the LM products. I think danix does as well. They're highly regarded.

Some specialty forengn car shops and parts suppliers do to. Not many. Diesel purge works the best. A car every 20-30K or so does the trick.
jasonTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2004, 17:17   #14
TGOLF
Veteran Member

I've used LM Diesel purge before , but I just put it in the fuel tank...see link it recommends actually "purging.." http://www.mindspring.com/~houlihan/merc/purge.htm
I use diesel Kleen it each fill up now. So haven't felt the need to use LM Diesel Purge...

Question is do you think you actually have to do the "purging" as in the link or can you just put in the tank at fill up?
TGOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2004, 18:19   #15
dieseldorf
top post dawg

they really want you to get the stuff into the pump in the highest possible concentration. I don't feel like taking lines off and waiting for the car to consume that whole container of Purge so I simply dump the Purge (or DieselKleen) into the fuel filter when I do my annual change and leave it at that.