www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old June 29th, 2005, 10:14   #16
Audi5000td
Banned

Fuel Economy: 32,36, 42
Default Re: DTC 01268 - Quantity Adjuster (N146)?

I'm betting that running the AC adjusted your IQ through the floor, below a 2.4 reading and shut your down. Id get ahold of a VAG-COM, see the codes thrown, write them down, then clear the codes.

See everything here on Injector Quantity adjustment, Setting it, and The Hammer Modification to adjust it.

I'd also check your wiring harness for the Injector pump and see about The Evry Modification or The Evry Mod in "Search" with a 24 month window to search, to see if you have a tuning box or someone wiring in a resistor somewhere near the plug in harness where the Injector pump plugs in. The resistance may not be enough, or your tuning box, if you have one, has failed.

If you see a resistor soldered in there, or additional wires that do not look factory that are connected to the number 2 and 3 wires, cut one of the unfactory looking wires that is outside the loom and see if the blinking glowplug light goes away.

If you start to run biodiesel 100, you should ALWAYS have a spare fuel filter in your vehicle as well a a spare 1 quart bottle of d2. The biodiesel dislodges loads of crap in your fuel tank and fuel lines, on into your fuel filter, especially any algae that grew from water in your fuel tank.
Audi5000td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 11:05   #17
jck66
Veteran Member

(sorry, posted before thinking... ignore this...)
jck66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2005, 11:20   #18
MTjake
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 3
Fuel Economy: very good

So far, the only code reported from far off Casper is 01268, which returns upon clearing. Last report was three days ago and they didn't return my call yesterday-said they were real busy. I guess this means they don't know anything and haven't been able to make any progress. Or maybe it just means that they are billing me a bunch of hours without doing any work.

I don't have a tuning box. Fuel system is not clogged. Last I talked to them we had decided to purge the biodiesel out from the filter and through the injection pump, clear the code, hook up an external tank of D2 to the filter, and hope for a start. Can you describe how the A/C initiation caused my injection quantity to drop through the floor? It seems that the ECU should be programmed to increase IQ with A/C use. How does this result in an unrestartable condition? I'm just looking for any possible leads. We are not getting anywhere in Casper.
MTjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2005, 01:04   #19
MTjake
Veteran Member

Negative progress. I now have information from two separate sources that this is not the place to have your favorite vehicle worked on. Some evidence: the $570 diagnosis that my ECU and my quantity adjuster failed simultaneously. I suppose that's possible, but... I hear the mechanic is actually good, but the 'service' desk will work you over, especially if you're an out-of-towner. It was suggested to me to get the vehicle out of there without letting them know in advance, so that's how bad it is at the moment. It is so much like a 109 failure, but it can't be, can it? Gotta get back down there-I can't believe I left her there all alone. Sorry, this has turned into an indictment of a service department, instead of being helpful, but I feel people should know to steer clear of this place, in my opinion. Hopefully the next update will have real information.
Old July 6th, 2005, 10:08   #20
rdkern
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: B4 = 48/40/36 A4 = wife drives it, don't know

It can be a relay 109 - are you sure the one you put is was good? With three, I would have checked them all.

Please get your car so we (as a group) can have a go at it.

Do you have a Vag-Com handy?
rdkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2005, 08:41   #21
MTjake
Veteran Member

Yes, I wish I had checked all three (all three were/are good to the best of my knowledge-none has ever gone bad previously) and had VAG-com on board-I don't have VAG-should have acquired long ago. My neighbor is the long time service manager at our local dealer, I absolutely trust him. He's good to us and will perform scans with their OBD. Hope to have 'er home by this weekend. Thanks for keeping an eye on this.
Old July 7th, 2005, 11:54   #22
MTjake
Veteran Member

I just plugged the ECU from my Passat into my wife's car. Mine is the GQ ECU with the Upsolute chips-the one the Casper dealer told me had experienced "catastrophic failure". I took this with me when we left Casper. Her car starts and runs perfectly with my ECU, but with a blinking glow plug light. Wife's car has the BK ECU, it's from later in the model year.
Old July 7th, 2005, 13:40   #23
MTjake
Veteran Member

This is getting wild. Now he just told me that biodiesel has no lubricity, will ruin my injectors and the pump in "no time flat", and could "drop my engine out". Wow!
Old July 7th, 2005, 14:41   #24
rdkern
Veteran Member

I have a 97 b4 and have been running as close to B100 as I can (varies, due to needing fuel elsewhere) but generally over B50 and sometimes B99+ - 8000 miles and no problems. Just nicer smell, and quieter engine. Many on the forum have many 10's of thousands of miles on bio - but a tank of bad bio can cause problems.

With the Upsolute - perhaps different ECU causing the blinking bp light. Did you check to make sure the brake lights are working? Blinking gp light often reflects brake light/switch problems.

I know that the chips can be rather specific as to the ecu - but it doesn't sound like yours were damanged - nor the problem.
Old July 7th, 2005, 17:20   #25
MTjake
Veteran Member

Forgot to mention; the blinking gp light stopped when I returned the BK unit to her car.

I'm no longer blaming the B100 until I get some more info.
Old July 19th, 2005, 15:52   #26
MTjake
Veteran Member

Update: Finally made it back to Casper, Wyoming. Surprised 'em to say the least. The VW dealer at Powders Automobiles physically blocked me from accessing my vehicle with his body when I tried to open the door and hood to take pictures. It was either going to be a physical altercation or call the police, so I call the police. Dealer keeps saying "I hope you brought cash!" I say, "You think I'd give you my credit card number?" They tell him he has to release the vehicle to me. I told the police and the dealer that I was willing to pay for some items, but not the blatant fraudulent diagnosis. In the end, payed nothing and had the car towed to Farley's Imports where we'll get an actual diagnostic and repair. Dealer follows to see where the car went. The Passat is a mess with open fuel lines and the timing belt cover removed for some reason, ECU not attached. Well, of course the vehicle isn't going to start without the ECU attached. Reaffirmed that this VW dealer will remove items from a vehicle; i.e. sabotage the vehicle, which left me wondering about the removed timing belt cover. This was never discussed. Also got a fourth independent source confirming the questionable business practices of Powders Automobiles. This is why I had to just show up without notice. Cost preventative to transport the vehicle back to Montana ($700-$1200), so this was my best option.

Sorry for this crap, but this thread will likely be evidence/defense in court. I will update again when actual progress is made.
Old July 19th, 2005, 16:09   #27
rdkern
Veteran Member

And some people wonder why automotive repair shops sometimes have bad reputations. I wonder if anyone local actually gets work done there, or if they just prey on tourists.

Let's hope that the mess can be repaired, and it was just a bad batch of fuel.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 12:09   #28
MTjake
Veteran Member

Update. Noticed another thread about DTC 01268 so I'll share the little bit I know (and compile some facts and quotes in case I need it for legal reasons).

Finally, 2 B4V's back in Montana and running well. New IP in place (but driver's window acting up again, me grumbling and swearing). Farley's Imports in Casper Wyoming diagnosed and repaired my vehicle for $150 less than the dealership wanted for bad diagnostic ("guessnostic") and tearing my car apart. Farley's explains my bill, asks if that sounds ok to me, explaining almost apologetically that he had to add $25 when he replaced my seeping valve cover gasket and that there was a lot of putting back together to do.

DTC 01268: first let me say that I don't know much about our cars, but try to learn as each situation crops up. I never had the opportunity to try the hammer mod as suggested by Audi5000TD to bring the quantity back below upper limit. I would definitely try this before replacing a pump that's coding "upper limit reached" or "lower limit reached". Another forum member mentioned that if (bio)diesel has a significant amount of water, it will react to form carbonic acid, which can or will etch or wear the metal of the pump skirt and other sensitive parts. So my guess is that the quantity adjuster gradually increased the amount injected to compensate for the less capable pump as the skirt wore. When I hit the A/C button, this increased demand for power resulted in ECU asking the quantity adjuster to send more fuel, surpassing the upper limit threshold, and the ECU tells the shutoff valve to close. It seems that one could compensate for a worn pump skirt with the hammer mod (no $), or even a custimized chip ($), but really I have no idea.

This scenario leaves me with a few questions;

1) Why is the ECU blamed faulty? It's in perfect order. Answer: Dealer kneejerk response. Emphasis on 'jerk'.

2) Why was the vehicle unrestartable without a new pump, but with codes cleared, and the A/C off? Possible answer: Perhaps upon startup there are additional loads which will keep the requested quantity too high, fuel shutoff valve closes almost immediately, or never opens.

3) Does the Upsolute chipping come into play here, as one if it's functions is increasing injection quantity? (not blaming Upsolute for anything, just wondering if I may have been able to swap in the original eProm and get a restart.)

The dealer: Nobody local uses them, from what I heard. Yes, it's been confirmed that they just prey on people passing through. There is a 1984 Bronco for sale on the lot that has been there for over a decade. In the back, a graveyard of mostly VW's that I assume were left when their repair bill skyrocketed (when I asked about all the cars, the question was evaded). Over at Farley's, constantly swamped with business, and really cool immaculate vintage VW's, Camaros, British cars, etc. being worked on with care. Nice shop, better than the dealer's. At the dealer, when I'm initially asking about the ECU, he gives big sigh and says "there are several items in your vehicle that can be considered an ECU" (what?)Then tells me that I need a new ECU. Then told me that biodiesel will "drop out your engine", and when I questioned him on whether the DTC was "upper limit reached" or "lower limit reached", he said "I don't know what your little book is telling you", I say "It's the Bentley", then silence from him... Also, anytime at all that I asked a question he became perturbed, saying "It's your money, you can do what you want." And three times asking me if he should get me a can of gasoline and some matches. But the big thing was when, as I see it, he tried to get me to throw the first punch as he physically prevented me from accessing my vehicle with his body, smiling a cash eating grin (it was close, breathe deep, call the cops, serenity now). I always maintained that I would pay for the IP diagnostic (what's that? 1/2 hour max. to plug in the OBD?)

In the end, I'm pretty relieved, with my only regret being that I wasn't able to work on my car myself. The original IP did have over 140K on it, I haven't received any legal papers in the mail yet, I know a very good mechanic in Casper, the Passat seems to be pulling better than ever especially at higher RPM's, and the canoe shuttle system is back in action.