www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old June 21st, 2004, 19:55   #1
Tarbe
Veteran Member

Default Support Group Needed

My name is Tim, and I'm an oil changeaholic.

I am trying to reform my ways, but I don't think I can make it by myself. I need help.

I am 200 miles away from making it to 5000 miles for the very first time (in 36,000 miles!). The temptation to pump up the Oil Boy is killing me. I just imagine those soot particles circulating through my precious engine and I want to scream!

I did run my bypass to 16,000 once - and the full flow to 9000. But I probably drained and re-filled the crankcase three times in the same period.

I need help, badly. This is the cry of a sick man. While I am saving hundreds of gallons of fuel by averaging in the upper 50's mpg, I am throwing away Amsoil's finest PAO by the bucket.

Please help me. Before I become totally reprobate and no longer want to reform

Tim
Tarbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2004, 20:45   #2
RSTX
Veteran Member

Change the oil??? My salesman told me this car is maintenance free. He said I would never have to change the spark plugs. Where can I get more information of this "oil change" procedure? It sounds like a plan by the big oil companies to get more of my money. I'll just leave mine alone, thank you very much.

Oh, my salesman also said that only a VW technician can open the hood on these cars. He said I should not attempt to do so or my warranty will be voided before the 10,000 mile/one year mark.

He did recommend that I bring the car in every month or so to have the air changed in the tires due to the extreme heat we have here in Texas. See, cooler air is heavier and could make the tires out of balance. Changing to warm summer air also increases fuel efficiency. I feel like this is a good thing and they are offering to do this service for only $25/tire since I purchased the car from them. Pretty shrewd of me, eh?
RSTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2004, 20:51   #3
TDItech
Veteran Member

RSTX, your salesman is high. there isn't any car sold that is "maintenance free". The oil change recomendation for your PD is 5K, 10K, and every 10K afterward. Also, oil changes and regular maintenance can be done by you as long as you keep records for the kind of oil and when, for warranty purposes.
TDItech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2004, 21:00   #4
RSTX
Veteran Member

Um, sorry, I should have put in a few smilies to show humor. I was just going along with the general light-hearted tone set by the original poster.

To be serious, I'm seriously considering getting one of the oil extractors that I've read about here. I've only got 1500 miles on the car right now, but 5k is coming up fast.

Again, sorry for the confusion. An apparently poor attempt at levity.
Old June 21st, 2004, 23:32   #5
wny_pat
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48 mpg

You could always put the old oil in the garden tractor!!
wny_pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2004, 09:45   #6
Benlinus
Veteran Member

Quote:
Change the oil??? My salesman told me this car is maintenance free. He said I would never have to change the spark plugs. Where can I get more information of this "oil change" procedure? It sounds like a plan by the big oil companies to get more of my money. I'll just leave mine alone, thank you very much.

Oh, my salesman also said that only a VW technician can open the hood on these cars. He said I should not attempt to do so or my warranty will be voided before the 10,000 mile/one year mark.

He did recommend that I bring the car in every month or so to have the air changed in the tires due to the extreme heat we have here in Texas. See, cooler air is heavier and could make the tires out of balance. Changing to warm summer air also increases fuel efficiency. I feel like this is a good thing and they are offering to do this service for only $25/tire since I purchased the car from them. Pretty shrewd of me, eh?
This is good stuff. I giggled.

As far as the oil extractor thing? I've had one and used it for the first 50K of ownership of my used Jetta. Last week I did the change from the bottom, and I gotta say, I'm much more comfortable with that. I feel like everything isn't being sucked out of there with the extractor.
Benlinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2004, 12:16   #7
JettaJake
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '03 GLS 5spd
Fuel Economy: ~47 lifetime mpg @ 185K miles

Quote:
As far as the oil extractor thing? .... I feel like everything isn't being sucked out of there with the extractor.
Au contraire, it is the other way around. See the picture on page 2 of this thread.

T

(our 3rd poster here must not have had his morning coffee kick in yet - d'oh!
JettaJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2004, 17:28   #8
Tarbe
Veteran Member

Quote:

Again, sorry for the confusion. An apparently poor attempt at levity.
I think most of us got it

Tim
Old June 22nd, 2004, 17:29   #9
Tarbe
Veteran Member

Quote:
You could always put the old oil in the garden tractor!!
I should have mentioned, I am already in a support group for losers without a garden tractor

Tim
Old June 22nd, 2004, 18:02   #10
RichC
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 26MPG across the board

Maybe you can donate your 'perfectly good broken in oil' to a homeless shelter? I believe many of their clientele could put your oil into their homes on wheels? I've seen some of them that look as if they could used about a quart or two a day.

At least you would know that your oil was going to a good cause?
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2004, 21:08   #11
RSTX
Veteran Member

Quote:
I think most of us got it

Tim
Good. It is a shame to waste good humor.