www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old June 21st, 2004, 13:05   #1
CochiseTDI

Default Trunk won\'t open

Hi folks,

Today my Jetta's trunk won't unlatch. I've tried both the driver's door switch, and the key directly in the trunk lock. The lock mechanism makes its usual brief whump sound minus the "plunk" of the latch popping open. No failure codes in the central locks control unit.

Any tips on getting the trunk open so I can get a look at the latch mechanism?

Thanks
CochiseTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2004, 13:15   #2
SwimmerDave
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2013 JSW 6MT
Fuel Economy: 45

Quote:
Hi folks,

Today my Jetta's trunk won't unlatch. I've tried both the driver's door switch, and the key directly in the trunk lock. The lock mechanism makes its usual brief whump sound minus the "plunk" of the latch popping open. No failure codes in the central locks control unit.

Any tips on getting the trunk open so I can get a look at the latch mechanism?

Thanks
I've had this happen to my Beetle a few times. I found I have to insert the key into the ignition and turn it to the first click to force it to reset, I think. I might have had to start the engine. It's been a couple of months since the last time it happened.
SwimmerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2004, 13:17   #3
Dave_D
Veteran Member

In the worst case you can fold down the rear seats to access the trunk and the latch mechanism.
Dave_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2004, 16:02   #4
Pevey
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46

This is the exact same thread I posted three months ago.
You have to fix a small plastic part in the trunk. First try to open the trunk with your fob or the key while pushing down on the trunk lid- it will not pop it open but should unlatch it so you can raise it up.
I will get my photos ready to post for a D-I-Y fix.
Pevey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2004, 18:30   #5
Pevey
Veteran Member

OK first get the trunk open, try the push down while trying the key trick I discribed above. If it doesn't -well, the hard way is to climb inside the trunk and take off the carpet cover on the inside of the trunk lid. About 9 phillips screw heads usually covered by carpet pads. Easy to do with it open- upside down in the dark is a little more challenging. With the carpet cover off, you should be able to tug on the pushrods that activate the truck opening latch.
The part to take off is shiney and has three screws on it directly behind the rear license plate but on the inside. Unsnap the pushrods and unplug the ram type device.
lets try an image......
Old June 21st, 2004, 18:33   #6
Pevey
Veteran Member

Oh My Gosh, it works.......
Anyway the next image will show hopefully the arm location that broke off. Maybe it will be a angle break that will glue together well. That ivory u-shaped ram activates and drives the post forward to move the pushrods. Screwy but you wanted a volkswagen.
Old June 21st, 2004, 18:43   #7
Pevey
Veteran Member

Hey this is starting to look pretty cool, no wonder they are showing me as a veteran. The last image is of the broken post, you need it. Get some of the two part glue, only it will work. Brace the arm so the post can be glued on and not on anything else. I glued it and then soaked a small strip of nylon hose, use a torn pair from your wife- sorry gay guys- and wet it with some glue and wrap it around the post for added strength, drys hard as a rock.
When you put it on and snap the push rods on, move it by hand, if the push rod is not placed correctly the arm will not turn and the post will snap again. My fix has lasted four months and going strong.
Old June 21st, 2004, 23:42   #8
CochiseTDI

OK, I got the trunk open. I had to take off the carpeted inner cover as described elsewhere in this thread, but the problem is the lock mechanism:

Also described here.

I was only able to open the trunk by unbolting the latch from the trunk lid. I can press the latch's release lever (which the key and the power trunk release also press), but the latch doesn't open. For the time being I've closed the trunk and bolted the latch back onto the trunk lid so the trunk stays shut.

Impex has the latch as part #1J5827505D01C, for $55.28. However, in order to install the replacement, I'll have to be able to unlock the old latch from the body!

Any further suggestions?

Thanks folks.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 20:19   #9
tongsli
Veteran Member

That black plastic piece which surrounds the mechanism can come off. You may need to remove the ring that is bolted into the trunk area so you can work with it inside.

Taking off the black plastic, or at least opening it up should allow you to manually move the latching piece so it'll release the trunk ring.

L
tongsli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2004, 09:37   #10
CochiseTDI

I solved this problem some time ago, but forgot to post the solution. Bad me.

A small piece of plastic had fallen down inside the trunk lock, and was preventing the metal lever just above the big rubber boot from sliding.

I had to pop open the black plastic piece with the two grey posts through it. Once that was open, I was able to see the piece of plastic and extract it with needle nose pliers. The trunk lock has worked fine ever since.

I doubt this will prove to be a common version of this problem, but who knows.
Old October 13th, 2004, 11:41   #11
gfs

Fuel Economy: 48/40

I have experienced both of the trunk latch related issues described in this thread on my 2000 Jetta TDI.

The trunk lock problem is just as CochiseTDI describes it. And I fixed it the same way (at no cost; just frustration).
It's been this way now for 3 years without any further problems.

Just yesterday, the cheap plastic arm thats part of the locking/unlocking mechanism sheared off. I used JB Weld epoxy to glue it back together. So, let's see how long that holds it.
gfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2004, 15:22   #12
danix
Veteran Member

The 99.5 mechanism is not as solid as the ones from the newer cars, I recall replacing this on my 99.5.
danix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2005, 03:34   #13
CZTHEDAE

Default Re: Trunk won\'t open

Thanks a LOT for all the info....I'll get to work once the temperature goes down a bit. Cheers, JR
CZTHEDAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2006, 16:34   #14
jetta_tdi00

TDI(s): 00 jetta

maybe this is what i need to do...
jetta_tdi00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 04:16   #15
johnbhoy

Cool VW Mk 4 Trunk Broken - Cannot get access !

Hi.

My 1998 Mk4 VW Golf TDi 'trunk wont open' with key fob (never been able to open with the key in lock - as lock was busted when purchased 2nd hand).

The trunk has always opened with the key fob, but over the past several weeks, it hadn't opened more frequently than it had. Now, the trunk just wont open, despite the solenoid sounding like it is triggering the lock in the trunk.

I've read the excellent advice above (and in all the other listings), but as the trunk wont open, i have to somehow open the trunk from the inside. This is a real headache, as i'm really struggling to get into the lock to attempt the above fix, as i cannot remove the plastic cover which covers the lock from the inside. (See pic) It seems to be moulded around the back of the lock, so unless the trunk is open - there is no way the plastic cover can be removed without breaking. I have forced it as far up as i can from below (without snapping) to see the lock mechanism - but i cannot see anyway of removing the lock (as my view is extremely limited).

Furthermore, i cannot see any emergency release, or indeed anyway of opening the trunk by using a piece of e.g string to trigger the release.

Please help if you can - i am at a loss as to what to do now.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Regards

John
johnbhoy is offline   Reply With Quote