www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old June 3rd, 2004, 15:34   #16
gdr703
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 65/62/60 mpg US
Default Trying to Determine BEST Cetane Booster

It should have those things.
endquote

Absolutely.

Accept that it doesn't.
gdr703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 16:47   #17
KB3MMX

TDI(s): 98 Jetta

Interestingly enough, I dyno'd my 07' Duramax recently with a good dose of the Amsoil cetane boost in the tank. The truck made approximately 20+ more rear wheel horsepower than a couple other guys running similar setups. The truck dyno'd @ 451RWHP with a PPE stage 4 tune, full exhaust and a modded stock airbox. Several of the other trucks delivered between 380-430 RWHP with similar tuning.
Was it the cetane boost difference>?
The vehicles I've put it in have all run noticeably smoother and have better responsiveness. I have also seen a bump up in MPG running higher cetane fuel too...whether it's Biodiesel or just cetene treated #2.
One thing is for sure, we need better quality, higher cetane fuel here in the US !! We are always several years behind European automotive technology though !!
KB3MMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 10:49   #18
gokman

Fuel Economy: 42 mpg/ 34 mpg

will I get 8+ cetane boost from the stanadyne ?
gokman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 11:15   #19
VWBeamer
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42.79 mpg Woot!

Who sells a bigger engine to fit my car?
Or who sells a car with a bigger diesel engine for the cost of a cetane booster..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wny_pat View Post
I wonder if we really want a "Cetane Booster"? Seens to me that it is wishful thinking for more "power", "torque", or "horsepower". If we want that we should buy a bigger diesel.
I.
Old September 12th, 2013, 18:27   #20
New TDI owner

TDI(s): 2012
Fuel Economy: 42-49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03_01_TDI View Post
Most people are very happy with good ole Power Service thats sold at the local Wal-Mart I use 7oz of power service and 1oz of soyshield per tank.
i know Ford makes a cetane booster but i am not sure if it would work good in a tdi? Dose cetane booster go bad if it sits for a long time?
New TDI owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 18:29   #21
New TDI owner

TDI(s): 2012
Fuel Economy: 42-49

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWBeamer View Post
Who sells a bigger engine to fit my car?
Or who sells a car with a bigger diesel engine for the cost of a cetane booster..
You could buy a older VW suv when they put the V10 tdi.
New TDI owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2018, 18:56   #22
UgoTdi

Fuel Economy: 36 city 46 hwy
Thumbs up

Found a new made in Usa diesel additive called "Boost Plus Diesel" that has a low price of $16 for a gallon that treats up to 1000 gallons.
That amounts to 24 cents per 15 gallon tank! We can get 66 fillups out of one $16 gallon jug. That is amazing. With the increase in fuel economy, and the amount it displaces, it will more than pays for itself per fill up!
Specs seem terrific, so I had to give them a try. Just ordered some and will give a review once I hit around 500 miles of testing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077VVDPZ4...&pd_rd_w=fKMta

Last edited by UgoTdi; February 18th, 2018 at 16:14.
UgoTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2018, 20:51   #23
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Not to be discouraging but realistic...

Unless my math is off, 128,000 fluid ounces (1,000 gallons) to 128 ounces (1 gallon) is a 1:.001 ratio. I find it difficult to imagine anything added to diesel fuel at that small of a ratio could be of any benefit to MPGs.

Back in the day, I kept meticulous records (Excel Spreadsheet) of fill-ups (topped off) tank after tank for about 300k miles (when I retired). I was driving slightly over 36k miles per year. The MPGs varied tank after tank which was mostly due to driving circumstances. I had graphs reflecting ounces per mile of consumption, MPGs, Liters per hundred miles, etc. So, even with those detailed records, I seriously doubt that I would have noticed the effects of an additive of 1:.001 ratio.

I believe your PD engine will not notice 1.9 ounces per 15 gallons.

At $2.75 per gallon, the $16.00 could buy you an extra 5.8 gallons of fuel. At 45 MPG, you could travel another 261 miles.

Results will be interesting, but do you have base data to provide a comparison?

Last edited by AndyBees; January 31st, 2018 at 20:53.
AndyBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2018, 04:51   #24
UhOh
Veteran Member

This subject just came up in another thread and there's some actual data, not comprehensive, but something that one can work with. It's caught my interest (need to keep reading in to the thread to get at the meat that matches this subject).

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=485907
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 10:55   #25
Rob Mayercik
Veteran Member

Has there ever been any discussion in the past around here as to WHY the U.S. only requires a minimum of 40 cetane in diesel fuel?
Old February 18th, 2018, 16:27   #26
UgoTdi

Fuel Economy: 36 city 46 hwy

40 Cetane requirement got done by the oil lobby, our tdi's need 45 or higher to have a better burn and correct combustion, driveability, etc.
Thus, the need for a cetane booster. It makes each fillup cost more, but we can at least get the vw designed 500,000 miles before piston overhaul. Just be sure to shop how much each additive will cost per fillup when comparing pricing.
UgoTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2018, 08:58   #27
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Kind of a solution looking for a problem if you ask me. If you look at the Infineum winter fuel report the numbers are encouraging. It isn't the end all test but at least has some factual data about random testing. East and West coasts show extremely well. Midwest had some low numbers but still had a mean in the 47 to 48 range.

https://www.fuelsinstitute.org/fuelq...ity-Survey.pdf

The fuel quality is improving and I really don't see a need for cetane additives unless you are consistently getting some fuel that runs badly in your car and you can't change sources.