Replacing the Air Filter

Blondee

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Replacing the Air Filter

For the mechanically challenged, how do I go about this? I see in the FAQ:
[ QUOTE ]
"On A4 models, the air filter housing is on the left side of the engine compartment. Release the clamps, pull the cover off, and the filter element is right there.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, I remove the screws and the battery cover since the air filter hinges impedes on removing the cover. But, I don't know what is meant by "clamps". Which clamps? The intake clamps? If so, Is there a right and wrong way of re&re'ing this? I would appreciate more detailed instructions. I do see a pic (thanks to zinkengruven's pic) Air Filter

Thanks

Blondee

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Replacing the Air Filter

Thanks Cincy_Mike!

Of course, I ran into a snag. The clip from the hose to the air filter box came snapped and ended up in the engine/tranny department. I had a heckuva time getting it back on. I am also pretty sure I didn't connect the hose back fully. I should've paid a pro to do it. This was my first and LAST attempt at doing maintenance on my TDI. Clearly, I don't have what it take it takes to work on VW's. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

RickD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JETTA TDI
Replacing the Air Filter

Undo 2 screws (I think) lift off the cover.The battery cover does Not impede removal of the top of the filter box.
What clamp are you removing ??
If it's the one that attaches the MAF to the filter box,you don't need to remove it.
This is pretty simple stuff.
If you car is a 5 speed,and you're able to change gears,then you can handle this real easy.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Replacing the Air Filter

Nice video !!

Finally figured out how to remove the MAF connector !!

Some dirt prevented my moving the little tab that was holding it in place...

Screen cleaned!! (Is it ever adviseable to wash it in something, or is vacuuming enough??)

Yuri.