www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Classifieds/For Sale/Wanted > TDI Cars for Sale/Wanted

TDI Cars for Sale/Wanted VW TDI/Diesel cars for sale and wanted.

Old December 3rd, 2005, 14:20   #31
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

Matt Miks (UserID MiksTDI ) is in Kenosha, WI... send him a PM and perhaps he can take a look at the car for you.

Good luck,

Yuri.
ymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 11:28   #32
BDison
Veteran Member

Another thing to look out for is a leaking heater core. I have a 2000 Jetta TDI with this problem. Test by driving the car around and warming it up, then put heater control in the full cold position,the fan speed at around level 2, and the vent control turned to where the air is coming from the upper vents (blowing from center vent, blowing in your face), and note any smell coming from the vent. Do the same but this time but put the heater control in the full hot position and note any odor coming from the vents. If you notice a funny smell (coolant) coming from the vents in ONLY the full hot position...it more than likely has a leaking heater core. It is a major job to do and costly too, cost to have the dealer replace the heater core is roughly $1100. An ind. shop might do it for around $800. Most of this cost will be labor. VWOA MIGHT do a goodwill replacement on it, but good luck on that one because as with me they wouldnt help me out at all. If the VW you are thinking about buying has this problem, pass it up.

Last edited by BDison; December 6th, 2005 at 11:37.
BDison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 18:06   #33
Seruy

Thanks for the advise, I will definitely check that out.
Seruy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2005, 18:50   #34
vikingrob
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 69.63/47/36

As for bent or damaged license plates, be advised there are some states where the plates stay with the vehicle and others where the plates stay with the owner. In addition, the plates may have been replaced as the result of the owner moving, or a periodic licence plate replacement program in the state of issue.

For instance, in Minnesota the plates stay with the vehicle and are replaced every 7-8 years, while in Wisconsin, the plates remain with the owner. Check with the DMV of the state where the vehicle is registered and your home state's DMV for more information.

Therefore, in some situations, the condition of the license plates may not be a good indicator of accident damage.
Old December 14th, 2005, 19:59   #35
rdkern
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: B4 = 48/40/36 A4 = wife drives it, don't know

In California,the plates stay with the car- forever. I have the originals on my 67 bug - not pretty, but only 3 letters and 3 numbers!
Old February 25th, 2006, 11:47   #36
Vwee

Great info, thanks for taking the time to put this together!
Vwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 13:34   #37
Normando

Fuel Economy: High 30's winter, 40 best sommer
Default What the maintenance history should look like.

Maintenance history is important. I was a VW machanic in the mid 1990's. Other than salt killing off our cars I would focus on bringing in the TDI to a machanic for 50 to 100 $ and looking it over. Away from the power train (the sound of a warm engine and a five min test drive is all I need to give advice) A TDI is just another car so get the brakes, suspension and exhaust looked at. I look for the original parts like the tie rod or somthing, give it a good pull and you will see how the car was driven in the past and if you need some steering components. In most cases a 180 000 miles engine will be in O.K shape for the next 50 000miles, even if the engine has been really neglected. It is the rest or the components that usually rack up the bills.

I live in Canada and SALT is my biggest problem. I take care of my Jetta's and wash them every month or so but the salt is just killing them off. The rust around doors and trunks looks bad after around 7 to 9 winters in Canada so this make the car look like garbage.

I purchased a 1986 GOLF GTI rusted out in 1993 and drove it from around 125 K miles to 200 K miles nothing ever broke, brake pads, fluid changes and a clutch that it. I sold the car for 450$ Canadian less than I bought it for. I got it for 3200$ CND in 1993 it was a steal. So even old Diesel's can hold there value up to 10 or 12 years. The car may have been an 1985 I can't remember that far back....

Last edited by Normando; February 27th, 2006 at 16:49.
Normando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 15:12   #38
BoogieDown

I'm new to VWs and looking to buy a faily new(02-04) TDI. I found one at Carmax. Problem is they don't keep the maint. records from the previous owner, how can I tell if the proper oil has been used?
Its an '03 jetta GLS 5spd w/47kmilse mint condition their asking $17,147 before tax,tag,title. Also its in Jacksonville so if I wanted a test drive and didn't like it for what ever reason I'd eat the $150 transfer fee.
BoogieDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 20:06   #39
nibbler

While not TDI specific, I've found this website has a lot of good no-bull information for anyone looking at buying a car:

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/
nibbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 12:10   #40
jck66
Veteran Member

FYI, to my knowledge the AHU engine never appeared in the NA spec B4 Passat. They were all 1Z. AHU engines appeared in the 1998-1999 A3 Jetta.
jck66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 16:09   #41
TDI Aztec

I guess I shoulda read this before buying. I'm happy so far but I need an '05 Passat Wagon owner's manual. Where can I buy one? Dealer only? Thanks.
Old May 17th, 2006, 16:23   #42
bhtooefr
ToofTek Inventor

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/product.htm?code=rw05

There you go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 21:00   #43
TDI Aztec

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr
Thanks. It appears to be generic? Not TDI specific, is that the case?
Old May 18th, 2006, 02:56   #44
bhtooefr
ToofTek Inventor

Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 13:27   #45
MarcSays

Fuel Economy: over 40 hwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertohess
Hi,

I am a newbie to this forum and have the following questions:

1. As a California resident, is it legal for me to buy a used diesel TDI Golf out of state (say, in Nevada) and register it in CA? Even it is legal, are there any other issues I should be aware of?

2. Does anyone know a car dealer in the LA area that specializes in diesel-powered VWs? I once found a guy somewhere in the southern part of the city, but can no longer track him down.

My basic problem, as you might have guessed, is simply finding a Golf TDI (manual) in my area.

Thanks
I just bought 2 04 Jetta's GLS TDI and drove them back from Miami. Selling one of them or both, if the price is right. Not a problem in registering them.
MarcSays is offline   Reply With Quote